Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Internet Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pop-Up ad from hell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pop-Up ad from hell
    Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 5:16am
My Pop-up blockers are strict a lot, but I was trying to go to a lyrics site and a f**kING AD became the whole window and asked me if I wanted to install some fakeass trojanhorse antivirus program...I'm not one to fall for junk like that, so I closed it with task manager. If you EVER encounter an ad like this, do NOT use the X or Cancel! It will infect you computer with junk. 
Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 1:45pm
Never go to a lyrics web site....they are rife with nasty crap.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 3:38pm
I hate this one. It's the same thing that has taken over the translation site that I used to love.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by yutolia yutolia wrote:

I hate this one. It's the same thing that has taken over the translation site that I used to love.

Chirlind's site, right?
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 3:51pm
I went to a lyrics website a few days ago, and the {vulgar term for a penis vacuum} ruined my computer. DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

I ran AVG (with the newest virus definition set), Spybot Search & Destroy (also with the latest adware/spyware/malware definitions), and the Windows XP Malicious Software Removal Tool on it, and it's still slower than H-E-Double-Tippy-Straws. Angry
I even ran AVG in safe mode; still no-go.
I mean, it has a 2.4GHz CPU, but it's barely running faser than a Commode 64 (clock speed is right around 1.0MHz {somewhere between 946KHz and 1.020MHz}). Cry

I'm typing this on my backup computer, because the good one is still hosed. OuchUnhappyAngryDeadAngryUnhappyOuch

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 2:46am
^Didn't I tell you NOT to touch it?
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

My Pop-up blockers are strict a lot, but I was trying to go to a lyrics site and a f**kING AD became the whole window and asked me if I wanted to install some fakeass trojanhorse antivirus program...I'm not one to fall for junk like that, so I closed it with task manager. If you EVER encounter an ad like this, do NOT use the X or Cancel! It will infect you computer with junk. 

Those things aren't really "pop-ups".   That's why your "pop-up" blocker cannot stop it.  They are programs that just start up in new windows.  
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

Those things aren't really "pop-ups".   That's why your "pop-up" blocker cannot stop it.  They are programs that just start up in new windows.  

Well I count it as one anyway
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 3:44pm

Originally posted by yutolia yutolia wrote:

Chirlind's site, right?

No, worldlingo

Unhappy It seems like this thing is more widespread than I thought.Dead
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
FrauKruspe View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrauKruspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 3:24am
Speaking of lyrics popups... This is just BAD. Usually there is a little thing in the upper right corner of the popup to close it. Look how it is ever so conveniently covered by ANOTHER ad up top...

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 4:38am
You HAVE to get Firefox 3 and Ad Block Plus.   I went to plyrics.com (Punk Lyrics) and took this screenshot.   Not even one of those obnoxious flashy banner ads or a popup.

FrauKruspe View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrauKruspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 1:30pm
Ad block plus..I will have to get that. I already have FF3. 
ajn195 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajn195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 11:51pm
AdBlock Plus is the bomb. I have it with Safari.
deafdog View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 11:57am
I went to a lyrics site once and picked up something.

I run my AV softwares about once a week, have FF with Adblock and don't see hardly see any popups or those stupid underlined words that link to ads anymore but some lyrics site got me one day.  I am now afraid to look up any lyrics so will just make up my own words.

I think the AV that found it for me was either Ad-Aware or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, both of which are free.  Spybot didn't find it, Norton didn't find it, McAfee didn't find it (McAffee sucks IMHO anyway).

Try those other two free ones.  Use google to locate, download, install, update, scan, etc.  They do take a long time for me (a couple hours for me) and slow things down quite a bit if you run the at the same time so go to lunch or something... but they will really find stuff the others miss.

If you get stuck, holler (but not too loud).

I have that disease where you wake up in strange places drunk
Prometheus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prometheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 11:08am
Don't forget "FlashBlock" as well....blocks any and all flash animations until you click on them to play them. It will not activate the embedded link until you click on the animations again, so no need to be too paranoid. "FlashBlock" is a must-have for any version of Firefox 2.1 and up, see the home site fr details, and get it ONLY at the Firefox home domain.

Don't forget to have a third-party firewall as well, don't rely on the Windows firewall alone. Try to use one that will allow you to immediately block the line, such as the Sygate Personal Firewall (discontinued). Just because it's free doesn't mean it doesn't work, just make sure it has it's own dedicated home site first, at the least. Reviews from notable sources such as magazines is a plus.
Immune to all forms of marketing since 1976!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic