Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some shows end 1 minute past the hour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman70092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some shows end 1 minute past the hour
    Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:12am
We're not getting an extra minute worth of programming. All they're doing is screwing the TIVO people who were hoping to record a show on another network. It pretty much screws them out of a half hour of programming.

I've seen NBC, Fox, and ABC do this. This pisses me off almost as much as the dancing pop-ups.
Sponsored Links

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 3:18pm
If you have 2 tuners then you can still record your other program, BUT you need to know that the show is going to go 'over, so you can manually set your TiVo to record that extra minute.

It's a gigantic pain in the ass.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 4:25pm
I didn't know they were doing that (I don't have Tivo).  But I guess it's similar to how DJs on the radio talk over the very end of a song, making it less appealing to record songs off the radio.  I don't know if that's purposeful, but it sure worked on me back when I would've recorded music from the radio.

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 6:17pm
DJs on the radio talk over the very end of a song

OO I hated that with a passion.  They also used to play their station identification jingle before the song ended.  I had to record many a song over again due to that.  At least if they waited until the song ended it would allow me to create a false fade out manually.  It sucked being poor.  I used to take 8 tracks that had crappy music on them and rerecord over them from the radio.  It really pissed off my family.
was feeling nostalgic
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 8:03pm
LOL Somewhere I know I still have a cassette tape splattered with Dale Dorman and Kiss 108 jingles all over it.

If I recall correctly, I labelled it "Radio Summer 85"
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 12:39am
Damn,  Dale Dorman, now there's a name I have not heard in eons.
I remember his pre-108 days on WRKO when I lived in Somerville.
was feeling nostalgic
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 2:04am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

LOL Somewhere I know I still have a cassette tape splattered with Dale Dorman and Kiss 108 jingles all over it.

If I recall correctly, I labelled it "Radio Summer 85"

I know there's some websites out there that has broadcasts of old radio shows you can listen to.  The one I set to my favorites is for WABC. 

Here, you can hear the guy (Dale Dorman) you two speak of, in part of an old broadcast:

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 8:06pm
Some shows are also beginning at one minute BEFORE the hour.  It's just bullsh*t.  You know they aren't adding programming, they're adding commercials.

Nuke
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 4:04pm
One thing I've noticed is that commercials aren't as likely to seperate shows as they used to be.  One show ends and the next show begins.  It's a good idea.  Less chance you'll leave the channel.

ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 6:29pm
Rocket and Holly,

I've been thinking about getting DVR service with DirecTV and it never occurred to me this might be a problem. Usually the DTV onscreen guide shows these one-minute time shifts, and I assumed telling the DVR to record a program on the guide would automatically start/stop at the right time.

Any thoughts/experience to share?

Hundreds of threads killed.
rocketman70092 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman70092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 2:03am
Hey threadkiller,
Sorry for the late reply. I don't have a dvr service, but that HAS to be the reason why the shows are going 1 minute past the hour.

Anyone have any other theories?
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 6:08pm
Sorry!!

I haven't been back to this thread in a while, I guess.

The answer to your question is no - DirecTV will not automatically start recording (or stop) on those 'off minutes.  It will start and stop on the hour, half hour, whatever is in the guide.

OH WAIT - you said that you noticed it in the guide.  (I'm editing a previous post - apologies to those getting email updates).  I have not noticed the discrepancy, in the guide; and the DVR with DirecTV will do whatever the guide lists.

What I was speaking of - is when the program doesn't follow precisely what is listed in the guide.  It happens quite a bit with Project Runway.

It's through trial and error that you are able to beat that system.  Once you figure out that they're doing it, you manually set the record start/stop time to match their timing pattern.
Hagar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 6:38pm
I have Direct TV with a DVR and absolutely love it.

I have gotten to the point that I hardly ever watch anything live anymore. I even set the news to record and take the dog for a walk. When we get back I start the news show and am able to fast forward through the commercials,"coming up next" teasers and stories that I'm not interested in. I usually watch an hour newscast in about 20 minutes. 

I mostly watch movies and go through the on screen guide and check for other showings and record them at odd times whenever possible. A movie that records at 3am is ready to watch when I'm in the mood to watch it. I usually have at least a dozen movies stacked up on the DVR and will pick an action flick, a mystery, comedy or other one depending on what I'm in the mood for.

I did have a problem with some movies cutting off about a minute short. I went into the settings and now have all shows set to run 5 minutes over and it has solved the problem. The only time I have a conflict is when I try to schedule more than 2 movies that might overlap. Then it will show a conflict and I can find another time to record it.

A DVR is a great thing to have, but there are a few tricks to getting the most out of it.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 6:55pm
Yes, what he^ said.

It's definitely a good thing, I don't know how we survived without it Wink
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

Damn,  Dale Dorman, now there's a name I have not heard in eons.
I remember his pre-108 days on WRKO when I lived in Somerville.

I remember in early 2000's wondering about Dale the same way.  Turns out he was on Kiss 108 which is in the town I live in.  Little did I know I was driving passed him on almost a daily basis.  LOL
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 8:31pm
I've also noticed the other day when two cable news business programs ran long, FNC's Your World With Neil Cavuto and Lou Dobbs Tonight on CNN.
Hagar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 7:11pm
It used to be practically a hanging offense if a show didn't start or end at the split second it was supposed to.

I believe it was TBS 10 or 15 years back that started running it's shows at 5 minutes after the hour. I guess the thinking was that if you stuck around for the end of the previous show, you wouldn't bother changing channels to start a new show 5 minutes late. 

Now a lot of shows seem to think the start or ending time is just an estimate!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 8:05pm
Youse people are under some delusion that there are actually rules any more.

I just started watching an "all new" season of Kitchen Nightmares.

Well,  I saw the first new one, the next was pre-empted by a ball game, then the next was a repeat from last season.  Huh?

No rules any more.

SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 5:26am
I have DirecTV and my guide has these shows like "Grey's Anatomy" ending at 9:01.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 6:09am
This is very irritating.   Especially when the guide is wrong.   My TWC guide caused me to miss the ending of the first House this season since it said it ends at 9, NOT 9:01.   

I think it was NBC who started this a few years back with ER starting at 9:59 instead of 10:00.    That would screw with my recordings if I had anything recording at 9 with the last minute.    There are no more rules at the networks.   Anything goes.    They even chop off the credits of shows to run more commercials.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2008 at 7:30am
I've got a DVR with my Charter Cable, and for some reason lately, I cannot get it to record the Shield at all. I have set the damned thing  like 5 times and it always messed up and doesn't record my show!!! PISSES ME OFF!!! Now if I get to record it at all I have to remember to manually scroll to it on the guide and hit record. I can't just set a series record. I have NO idea why.  Charter uses a Motorola  DVR, model DCH6216 now were they used to use a Motorola MOXI. I loved the MOXI!! I wish I could still get one!! This new one is ignorant. Sometimes when I am watching something, the kids get active and make a lot of noise, so I hit record to watch it when they go to bed, and I'll scroll the guide and find a commercial free channel (HBO, Cinemax etc.) or a music channel but when I hit the button for the channel switch this freaking thing asks me if I want to change the channel!! I'm like HELLO ASSHOLE, would I have pressed the button if I didn't want to change the channel??? I mean it's not like the program I am recording would STOP recording if I change the channel!! It's just another decision I have to make in my already bothersome existence on this flying mudball planet!! CASH or CHARGE, PAPER or PLASTIC, DO YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT OR A HOT APPLE PIE???? What they NEVER seem to ask me is if I want ketchup put in the bag, which I always forget to ask for myself because I am TOO f**kING BUSY ANSWERING THEIR f**kING QUESTIONS!!!!! I can't tell you the number of times I have forgotten something in a store because of the DUMBASSED sh*t they ask me.

Anyway, as a rule I try to set everything to record a minute early, and two minutes late. What really pisses me off though is that with over 300 channels I still can't find anything I want to watch or something I haven't already seen ten times!! Unless of course it's Thursday night when EVERYTHING GOOD is on!! I don't know who designed it so that everything has to compete with one another. My wife and I finally got two DVRs and hooked them to different TVs so we can stop missing our favorite shows. LOL
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
kuribo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuribo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Hagar Hagar wrote:

It used to be practically a hanging offense if a show didn't start or end at the split second it was supposed to.

I believe it was TBS 10 or 15 years back that started running it's shows at 5 minutes after the hour. I guess the thinking was that if you stuck around for the end of the previous show, you wouldn't bother changing channels to start a new show 5 minutes late. 

Now a lot of shows seem to think the start or ending time is just an estimate!

I also remember that WWE / WCW wrestling used to be allowed to go long.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by kuribo kuribo wrote:

I also remember that WWE / WCW wrestling used to be allowed to go long.

40 Years Ago if a Sporting Event ran long it was usually cut off so the next program could begin. That all changed in 1968 when The Oakland Raiders Played the New York Jets. Oakland was 15 Points ahead with 58 seconds left on the clock when NBC cut away from the game so they could show the movie Heidi Now I do not remember if the following happened after the game was cut off or if it happened after it was announced (Probably by a on-screen scroll) that New York had WON the game. (They scored THREE TOUCHDOWNS in the final 58 seconds, a feat which is practically UNHEARD OF!) Anyhow at the Network all H-E-Double Hockey Sticks broke loose as thousands of Irate Viewers swamped the network switchboards to Flame whoever they got on the phone! From that point on Games are now televised to the end. There's a problem there to that happens sometimes. Sometimes the next show is delayed, other times it is "Joined in progress". In 1975 during another Raiders game the game ran nearly an hour over its scheduled time. The next program was the movie Willy Wonka & the Choclate Factory, which NBC decided to join in progress (Cutting off nearly half the movie. Once again the network got "Flamed" by irate viewers, this time upset the movie had been cut off.

Heidi is available on Home Video,( I always see it as some Retailers "Black Friday" special every year) I cannot figure out why someone doesn't come out with a "NFL Version" of this movie where the last minute of the Raiders-Jets game is first shown, Then the Movie itself (With the Final Score Scroll in it) Followed by a Documentary about the "Heidi Game" with Interviews with personell who were there when it happened. Finally what everyone wants to see would finally be shown, the final 58 seconds of the game! Bear in mind everyone who lived east of the Rocky Mountains (2/3 of the Nation) Missed this because of the decision not to delay the movie! I think it would be a big seller!LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 10:12pm

TBS started that almost 30 years ago, that was back when Ted Turner got the idea to produce his own sitcoms too. Remember the one about the angel? Neither do I. Or the "New" Leave it to Beaver? Oy...some things are best forgotten.

I figured this "one-minute-over" thing was designed to screw up somebody, but I hadn't thought of the Tivo crowd. That stinks. But at least most cable nets show the same programming three hours later so I guess there's a chance to record the next show.

I've always hated DJs talking over the instrumental part of songs, usually that's the best part. I almost lost my on-air job once because I wouldn't do it. Believe it or not a lot of songs are distributed to stations with the intro and outro times listed just so the DJ knows how long to talk or fade in another song.
There was a guy at WIBC in Indianapolis (early 60s) that was so proud of his ability to talk over the instrumental part that he knew just where to pot down a song right in the middle and run his big fat mouth! That's probably why I don't like it, but most on-air guys will argue at length about this being a "skill".

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 10:26pm

I've been hearing DJs talk over/fade in/fade out  the instrumental beginnings and endings of songs for years, but I rarely hear DJs do it during instrumental breaks in the middle...at least, not in this country.  Coincidentally, just tonight I was listening online to BBC Radio 2, where a guy named Chris Evans does this all the time! I have a running disagreement with a friend from the UK who thinks that cutting songs off early, or talking over instrumentals, is no big deal, apparently the BBC is full of guys like that, so she's used to it ...but it would drive me nuts!Thumbs%20Down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic