Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Radio Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Selective Service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StoningtonQB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selective Service
    Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 4:59am
Anyone ever hear the ads for Selective Service? They're the ones that have these fake scenarios with people trying to get jobs but are rejected because they didn't register with selective service. Then the narrator tells you that doors will close for you if you don't register and that it's a requirement when you turn 18.

Wanna know how many jobs I've applied for that have ever mentioned this selective service? ZERO. Nobody has ever even heard of this nonexistent service, but everyday on the radio they tell me that I will never get employed if I don't sign up.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:59am
We used to call it "registering for the draft".  By law, all males had to do it when they turned 18.  Apparently, it's still a requirement... with a hefty fine if you fail to register.

Re the commercial---haven't heard it, but my guess is that they're referring more to government jobs than to private sector ones.  I don't recall being asked such a question on job applications.  Of course, I haven't been "draftable" in 30+ years.

Uh, you do know what the draft is, right?

i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:50am
I got repeated cards in the mail to sign up when I was 17. Finally at 18, they sent me a legal form stating that they could put me in prison for non compliance. I filled that out and mailed it in. I tried to join the Navy at 18-19, much to my exes chagrin, but didn't get excepted due to almost being blind in one eye.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:31am
As far as I recall, the only jobs that actually will refuse to hire you are "government" jobs, or semi-government related jobs like the Post Office.

I remember getting the form for it...can't actually remember if I did it or not.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 2:23pm
I don't remember if I ever registered or not.

Been a long time.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 3:24pm

I didn't have to register.

The military draft ended in 1973. Registration with Selective Service ended in 1975. So far, so good. THEN in 1980 registration for a possible draft was reestablished for men 18–25 years old.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 4:58am
I don't think there is much need to worry about getting drafted;  If we ever reach the point of getting involved in a world war, it'll be over in about 30 minutes, tops...  Nuke
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic