Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Talking heads on news programs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talking heads on news programs
    Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 8:22am
Here's tonight's pet peeve:  I have seen TWO different people tonight using the phrase "whether it be," and both people used it incorrectly.

I believe that you may say something, whether it be (a), (b), or (c).  It is not, "whether it be (a), whether it be (b), or whether it be (c)."  [The same goes for "be it," as in, "I believe that you may say something, be it (a), (b), or (c)." ]

Why don't people think through the phrases and idioms before they use them, especially since it sounds like a phrase they use frequently?  Is it just ignorance, a combination of ignorance and pompousness, or just loving the sound of one's voice so much that one uses as many words as possible? 

It's like using a word you don't understand, or for which you have the wrong definition.

/end rant.

Sponsored Links

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 6:33pm
Reminds me of an old Frasier episode, where Niles said something like "We all have insecurities, Frasier,...be they [this]...be they [that]...be they [something else]...be they..."until Frasier interrupted with, "Oh, stop saying 'be they'!!!"LOL
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 1:06am
Good one, Brian.  I just hate when people use phrases like that because they think it makes them sound more intelligent.  But when they misuse them, it just shows what pompous asses they really are.
kuribo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuribo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 2:06pm
Yeah, Nancy Grace is my least favorite of these guys, followed closely by Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck.

But, UGH, Nancy Grace is by far the worst.
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Good one, Brian.  I just hate when people use phrases like that because they think it makes them sound more intelligent.  But when they misuse them, it just shows what pompous asses they really are.
Well, yes, they are pompous...be they asses, be they idiots, be they scumbags, be they morons, be they...LOL
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 7:04pm
sometimes there's so MANY of them the screens end up looking like something out of The Brady Bunch. LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 3:27pm

We should be looking at the bright side.  Rita Cosby seems to have disappeared.

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 6:55pm
I'd forgotten about her..thanks a lot, Thor!Wink
Maybe she choked on a bad throat lozenge?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 12:04am
I think she choked on a bad throat cock.

I dunno.  Whenever I saw her, I imagined someone who hangs out at the Embassy Suites during happy hour, getting buzzed, smoking cigarettes, and scouting the bar for any male who remotely looks like he could advance her career.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I dunno.  Whenever I saw her, I imagined someone who hangs out at the Embassy Suites during happy hour, getting buzzed, smoking cigarettes, and scouting the bar for any male who remotely looks like he could advance her career.

LOL

I think she went into the hat business....

http://www.ritacrosby.com/crosby-2008-003.html

LOL

oh, wait different name.

she's been busy...

http://www.ritacosby.com/

uh, oh

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/the_revolving_door/rita_cosby_lands_with_inside_edition_89266.asp

Stern%20Smile

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

LOL

I think she went into the hat business....

http://www.ritacrosby.com/crosby-2008-003.html

LOL

oh, wait different name

I dunno...I could see her as a member of the Red Hat Society.  Especially if the membership included rich successful men with a bar tab and a penchant for ambitious yet unappealing blondes with cock breath.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

she's been busy...

http://www.ritacosby.com/

uh, oh

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/the_revolving_door/rita_cosby_lands_with_inside_edition_89266.asp

Stern%20Smile

I sincerely hope that book never made it to the NY Times best-seller list.  But the gal does have a way with celebrity gossip, so Inside Edition seems about right for her.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 5:21am
I don't know what news you watch, but I have never seen The Talking Heads on any news program.

I like some of their stuff, especially Take Me to the River.

I think it would be pretty cool to have them on a news program.

As long as David Byrne didn't wear that funny looking giant suit.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Hagar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 7:30pm
The mention of Rita Cosby reminds me. Where did Laurie Dhue end up this time? She went to work for Geraldo at one point, came back to Fox News mainly on the weekends and vanished again.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 9:59pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I don't know what news you watch, but I have never seen The Talking Heads on any news program.

I think it would be pretty cool to have them on a news program.

Well, with the perpetual lack of economic accountabilty, Don't Worry About the Government seems about right.

I see the states, across this big nation
I see the laws made in Washington, D.C.
I think of the ones I consider my favorites
I think of the people that are working for me

Some civil servants are just like my loved ones
They work so hard and they try to be strong
I'm a lucky guy to live in my building
They all need buildings to help them along

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Hagar Hagar wrote:

The mention of Rita Cosby reminds me. Where did Laurie Dhue end up this time? She went to work for Geraldo at one point, came back to Fox News mainly on the weekends and vanished again.

I miss Juliet Huddy.  I think she's on some FOX affiliate celebrity talkfest these days.

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 7:03am
That would be 'Mike and Juliet', the wannabe Regis and Kelly.
As for Laurie Dhue, she'll be co-starring in a series featuring a group of intrepid teenage detectives cruising around in a funky old van. Don't miss Laurie Dhue, Where Are You?
(This week's special guests, the Harlem Globetrotters!)LOL

Seriously, her contract ran out in March, and there doesn't seem to be any new info about her.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 3:15pm
I just read that Laurie Dhue is almost 6'4"!!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 3:20pm
Last night, on my local FOX news, there was some God-awful story about some young guy in Modesto who killed his wife, and then himself.  When the bodies were discovered, the couple's 5 kids were playing out front.

The newsgal noted that the 5 kids are now staying with relatives, and then her co-anchor finished up the spot, saying "Well, let's hope this has a happy ending."

Wha???!!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 1:20am
I'm not one to stick up for local news nitwits, but....

I suppose that if the kids wind up in a good home being raised in a secure, loving environment by actual blood relatives, one could look at it as a happy ending of sorts.

I think everyone probably knew what he meant.

I think you should cut him a little slack in this instance.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 3:18am

I'm not one to stick up for local news nitwits, but....

I suppose that if the kids wind up in a good home being raised in a secure, loving environment by actual blood relatives, one could look at it as a happy ending of sorts.

I think you should cut him a little slack in this instance.

"cut his miiiiiiiiccc!!!!!!!"

"cut his miiiiiiiiicc!!!!!!!"

LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 4:03am

Probably.  It just struck me as silly.  There is no "happy ending" here.  Just one that's acceptable under the horrible circumstances of what happened.

Earlier in the show, he said "I know I'm adding a political opinion here, but I'm against people texting while driving".  Oooooh---there's a controversial political opinion.

I should probably lighten up on him.  He's new to the show.

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 8:30am
'Gosh darn people who text while driving! Gosh darn them all to heck!'
(The preceding has been a Eyewitless News editorial).LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 4:14am
Talking Heads on the news would just be weird....

"Good evening, & welcome to news at 11.

And now tonight's headlines....."

C'mon, man!
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 7:37am
"Same as it ever was!..Same as it ever was!..same as it..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic