Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Targeted" TV commercials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Targeted" TV commercials
    Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 12:37pm
I had read not too long ago that advertisers are going to begin targeting viewers personally.  That is, that they are going to send their commercials to your house based on such things as what you look at on the internet, credit card purchases, etc.

Last night, at my cousin's house, Rizzoli and Isles was on the tube in her living room.  During that hour or so, some J Lo/L'Oreal commercial played at least 8 times.  Also, there were a number of other commercials for L'Oreal products (which my cousin had to point out were for products/brands owned by L'Oreal).  It just so happens that cousin works for L'Oreal, sometimes works at home, uses her work email address, etc.

Maybe this is already happening?  I'm gonna have to start paying attention here.

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 7:31pm
Hell yes!!

I posted a pic of a light fixture here on CIH so I could brag about my cleaning efforts here.

The next day, I see the same pic on facebook with an ad from some lighting supply company.  Freaky!  Confused
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 8:26pm
Yeah, I've noticed that...even here on CIH.  But now it's happening with TV commercials.  Maybe at some point, we here at CIH won't be able to commiserate about the same commercials, as we might all be seeing different ones.  I mean, last night at my cousin's house, L'Oreal dominated the commercial breaks.  Every commercial break, there was at least one L'Oreal commercial.

Her brother said this was because she was bundled with Verizon Fios, and that her internet and TV were sharing info about her and her interests.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 8:31pm
Okay now, that downright CREEPY! How long before we have ads mentioning by name a la Minority Report?

I'll let you know when ads for diecast muscle cars, Star Trek starships, and cats start showing on my TV screen!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic