Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CMA - AGAIN???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:32pm
Every time I hear Taylor Swift's name, all I can think of is this:

Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Sponsored Links

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 5:46pm
I'm not really a country fan myself, but I'm loving all the posts on this thread!

BTW, there's a radio station in Chicagoland called MeTV FM which plays a lot of great stuff other stations won't touch, including country hits by John Denver, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, etc.
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

Every time I hear Taylor Swift's name, all I can think of is this:

And when I think of Family Guy/country music, I think of...

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 11:52pm
You know there's a CMA Christmas special coming up, right?
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 12:03am
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

I'm not really a country fan myself, but I'm loving all the posts on this thread!

BTW, there's a radio station in Chicagoland called MeTV FM which plays a lot of great stuff other stations won't touch, including country hits by John Denver, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, etc.

That makes sense.  The TV channel MeTV features a lotta programs from the 50s and 60s.  They must be targeting the seniors and the near-dead.

Oddly, the only other place you might hear that stuff would be the college stations at the lower end of the FM dial (where the only good FM radio survives).  I heard some the other day.  Among other artists, they played a few duets of Ernest Tubb/Loretta Lynn.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:08pm
FYI - there was ANOTHER CMT Awards show last night. Those country folks sure like to party.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

FYI - there was ANOTHER CMT Awards show last night. Those country folks sure like to party.

Plus... there's this piece of crap...

...the CMA Country Christmas tonight at 9 on ABC.

Because nothing says Christmas like a bunch of glittery, half naked young women jumping and jiggling around on a stage to the sound of crappily done, barely recognizable versions of Christmas songs.

Think I'll pass.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 12:19pm
Saw that, too. Jeez...
The artist formerly known as Madawee

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Plus... there's this piece of crap...

Because nothing says Christmas like a bunch of glittery, half naked young women jumping and jiggling around on a stage to the sound of crappily done, barely recognizable versions of Christmas songs.

Think I'll pass.

LOLLOL
There is nothing better than young thighs and titties but the audio would make me want to puke.
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 5:58am
I had to come out of retirement when I saw this thread. Well, not really retirement, just, I've been too busy to do anything except lurk around. But anyway, I've been a vocal detractor of what I call "radio-country" for a very long time, ever since I first got in to country music. I've made several posts about it here, as well.

The reason I call it "radio-country" is because it isn't country. Not even slightly. The old style of country died as soon as the record companies began trying to make it hip and cool and modern. This was happening in the 80s, although there were a fair few good artists through the 80s and 90s and even, to an extent, the early '00s. However, now that pretty much every modern genre of music can be boiled down into poppy horse-sh*t, just with a few different sounds, "radio-country" is the main thing for most people who think they like country music.

In truth, real country music still thrives, but you have to hunt for it. Look for some red-dirt bands, and almost any Texas bands that play bars and small festivals. A lot of folk-singers new and old have a pretty good country sound, as well. If you want real country music, and not this fake, phone-it-in, narcissistic, get on my tractor, drink some beer at the bonfire, hey girl, guns, trucks, beer, dogs, huntin', chew tobbacer speeit bullsh*t, you have to look for it. You will NOT hear it on the radio.

The reason is that the Opry killed off most of the outlaw country. For a long time, they didn't want anybody who was considered too 'sleazy' or 'wild' in their building. Old Hank included. Now they'll take any jackass who can produce a forced 'country' accent, put him in a cowboy hat, hand him a guitar to pretend to play, and they make country-rap albums about beer, trucks, fields, tractors, dogs, etc.

Most of these songs, I think they must make them like this. They put every possible topic I've listed above on a big chart. They have the 'country artist' stand across the room, and give him five darts. The 'artist' randomly throws them, wherever they land, that's the next hit, and all of these fake 'country boys' and coal-rolling jackasses will eat it up.

Look for artists like Cody Jinks, Slaid Cleaves, Whitey Morgan, Hank 3, Stoney Larue, Reckless Kelly, Charlie Robison, Kevin Welch, Justin Townes Earle, Steve Earle, Brandon Jenkins, Turnpike Troubadours, Roger Alan Wade, James McMurtry, Tom Russell, Randy Rogers, Jason Boland, Whiskey Myers, Jon Wolfe, Uncle Tupelo, etc. The list goes on and on. Great country musicians, most of whom are still making music today. Support them if you like them, and turn off the damned radio. If you're looking for country, you won't find it there. Unless you're a lucky one and have a local station that plays good country.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:26am
^  Good synopsis, Zach.

Country music is not really my favorite genre (rock music is), but I recognize that today's "pop-country" is as full of sh*t as you stated.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:52pm
Very nice write-up, Zach - thank you.
I've a few thoughts - maybe I'm going sideways with them...Wink
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

...The reason I call it "radio-country" is because it isn't country. Not even slightly. The old style of country died as soon as the record companies began trying to make it hip and cool and modern. This was happening in the 80s, although there were a fair few good artists through the 80s and 90s and even, to an extent, the early '00s...
Hint: It ALWAYS was happening. Jerry Garcia rockified country/folk in the 60's and he wasn't the first - just the most prominent. There are plenty of published folk/country pieces of art that garnished popular attention from back in those time, starting with folk like David Bromberg, but could get real serious real fast with the likes of J.D.Souther and Warren Zevon, who wrote huge hits for others, many of which came out on the country circuit. 

...The reason is that the Opry killed off most of the outlaw country. For a long time, they didn't want anybody who was considered too 'sleazy' or 'wild' in their building. Old Hank included. Now they'll take any jackass who can produce a forced 'country' accent, put him in a cowboy hat, hand him a guitar to pretend to play, and they make country-rap albums about beer, trucks, fields, tractors, dogs, etc...
WinkAgain, I'll call you on this one. I had an office 2 blocks away from the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville for a few years. The historic place itself was MOTHBALLED, while OPRYLAND, out off of Briley Parkway came into existence and country pandered to 'family values' as there was gold in them there values! The rough ones had to clean up if they wanted to show up - and what they were to play was certainly reviewed. The original Ryman Auditorium would periodically open for hardcore shows, but you could count on the likes of John Prine showing up - Grand Old Opry was in a SMALL place with even less available parking, for heaven's sake.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 3:30pm

I had to come out of retirement when I saw this thread. Well, not really retirement, just, I've been too busy to do anything except lurk around. But anyway, I've been a vocal detractor of what I call "radio-country" for a very long time, ever since I first got in to country music. I've made several posts about it here, as well.

The reason I call it "radio-country" is because it isn't country. Not even slightly. The old style of country died as soon as the record companies began trying to make it hip and cool and modern. This was happening in the 80s, although there were a fair few good artists through the 80s and 90s and even, to an extent, the early '00s. However, now that pretty much every modern genre of music can be boiled down into poppy horse-sh*t, just with a few different sounds, "radio-country" is the main thing for most people who think they like country music.

In truth, real country music still thrives, but you have to hunt for it. Look for some red-dirt bands, and almost any Texas bands that play bars and small festivals. A lot of folk-singers new and old have a pretty good country sound, as well. If you want real country music, and not this fake, phone-it-in, narcissistic, get on my tractor, drink some beer at the bonfire, hey girl, guns, trucks, beer, dogs, huntin', chew tobbacer speeit bullsh*t, you have to look for it. You will NOT hear it on the radio.

The reason is that the Opry killed off most of the outlaw country. For a long time, they didn't want anybody who was considered too 'sleazy' or 'wild' in their building. Old Hank included. Now they'll take any jackass who can produce a forced 'country' accent, put him in a cowboy hat, hand him a guitar to pretend to play, and they make country-rap albums about beer, trucks, fields, tractors, dogs, etc.

Most of these songs, I think they must make them like this. They put every possible topic I've listed above on a big chart. They have the 'country artist' stand across the room, and give him five darts. The 'artist' randomly throws them, wherever they land, that's the next hit, and all of these fake 'country boys' and coal-rolling jackasses will eat it up.

Look for artists like Cody Jinks, Slaid Cleaves, Whitey Morgan, Hank 3, Stoney Larue, Reckless Kelly, Charlie Robison, Kevin Welch, Justin Townes Earle, Steve Earle, Brandon Jenkins, Turnpike Troubadours, Roger Alan Wade, James McMurtry, Tom Russell, Randy Rogers, Jason Boland, Whiskey Myers, Jon Wolfe, Uncle Tupelo, etc. The list goes on and on. Great country musicians, most of whom are still making music today. Support them if you like them, and turn off the damned radio. If you're looking for country, you won't find it there. Unless you're a lucky one and have a local station that plays good country.

Guy Clark is another good one to add to your list, if you by chance have never heard of him. Great song writer.

I also like Brad Paisley. Great guitar player and fun guy to watch.

My dad was from the OLD old school. Roy Acuff, Charlie Pride, Hank Thompson, Furlon Husky, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 4:15pm
There's also the genre known as Americana, which is an amalgam of country, rock, blues, roots, folk, etc. 

Here's Dave Alvin/The Blasters.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

There's also the genre known as Americana, which is an amalgam of country, rock, blues, roots, folk, etc. 

Here's Dave Alvin/The Blasters.

They're kinda like Asleep At The Wheel...

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:51pm
I had an album by those guys.  Pretty good.

Dave Alvin's got more punk-rock cred, having worked with X, the Flesheaters and the Gun Club back in the olden days.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic