Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

draft king...why is this even a thing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 6:26pm
I was scrolling through the program guide a little while ago, ESPN has a program dedicated to Fantasy Foodball.
We enjoy gambling, but it's never been a habit.
Some sites offer to match your first deposit, makes me think of the 'it's a trap' topic.
Sponsored Links

Cross Traffic View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cross Traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 7:14pm
There was a fan duel ad running during the sd/cin game, winnings $349...don't go spending that all in one place. 
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 7:54pm
I'm waiting for Fantasy High-School Football. Anyone up for it?
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
treos View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Originally posted by Frankcastle006 Frankcastle006 wrote:

I imagine how much their wives hate it. If they even have wives.

Of course there are exceptions. A couple I worked with were into the "Fantasy NASCAR" crash1984 mentioned. They were babbling idiots to begin with. This made them 10 times worse.

ugh, i don't even consider NASCAR to be actual racing really. all nascar racers are are donut racers who go through ovals or dare i say, slightly more complicated tracks.

imo racing is about seeing who is fastest, not seeing which drivers and they're pit crews can last the longest running hundreds upon hundreds of laps on a donut track.

heck, i once tried out a nascar racing game for the xbox360 that my aunt had bought and it was easily one of the WORST racing games i had ever played. you try and do ANYTHING you would do to win in a normal racing game and BOOM penalty. the only way to progress would be to adhere to a specific set of rules and draft behind other cars for eternity and VERY SLOWLY move up the ranks. that is 100%+ pure BS.

^^
that's not fun. in what universe could that possibly be considered fun or entertaining?! mario kart is fun and the races do not last an entire day. (unlike nascar where a single Fing race can literally last an entire day and/or night)
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by treos treos wrote:

Of course there are exceptions. A couple I worked with were into the "Fantasy NASCAR" crash1984 mentioned. They were babbling idiots to begin with. This made them 10 times worse.

ugh, i don't even consider NASCAR to be actual racing really. all nascar racers are are donut racers who go through ovals or dare i say, slightly more complicated tracks.

imo racing is about seeing who is fastest, not seeing which drivers and they're pit crews can last the longest running hundreds upon hundreds of laps on a donut track.

heck, i once tried out a nascar racing game for the xbox360 that my aunt had bought and it was easily one of the WORST racing games i had ever played. you try and do ANYTHING you would do to win in a normal racing game and BOOM penalty. the only way to progress would be to adhere to a specific set of rules and draft behind other cars for eternity and VERY SLOWLY move up the ranks. that is 100%+ pure BS.

^^
that's not fun. in what universe could that possibly be considered fun or entertaining?! mario kart is fun and the races do not last an entire day. (unlike nascar where a single Fing race can literally last an entire day and/or night)
It has a lot to do with the environment you grew up with, my dad raced in the SCCA in the late 60s.
I grew up in Indiana, home of the Indianapolis 500.
I made being a mechanic my trade. There is still some excitement in motorsports.
Some people would say the NFL sucks.
Some people don't watch MLB.
Soccer!
NBA
NHL

It's whatever floats your boat.
If you like a sport you invest your interest and want to know more.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

I'm waiting for Fantasy High-School Football. Anyone up for it?

I could probably get into a non-gambling version. My oldest Granddaughter is now a 15 y/o high school varsity cheerleader. Of course I would have to be "true to her school" which kind of defeats the concept. So far so good. 3-0.   
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Originally posted by treos treos wrote:

^^
It has a lot to do with the environment you grew up with, my dad raced in the SCCA in the late 60s.
I grew up in Indiana, home of the Indianapolis 500.

I made being a mechanic my trade. There is still some excitement in motorsports.

Some people would say the NFL sucks.

Some people don't watch MLB.

Soccer!

NBA

NHL

It's whatever floats your boat.

If you like a sport you invest your interest and want to know more.

I'm with you akaron. Those who compare virtual motorsport racing with the real thing while having no actual experience are totally ignorant. You will probably not be seriously injured or die in front of the computer screen. Oval racing is not just driving in circles. There are 100 other things going on. I too have been involved with actual motorsports racing.      
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
MrFlavor View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrFlavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 1:17am
Fanduel has a half hour infomercial.

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 9:10pm
I've seen this commercial 2 or 3 times today watching just the NASCAR SPRINT CUP race! I'm almost ready to turn it to CBS for the Seahawks-Bears game, and I wouldn't be surprised if I see Draft Kings another 10 times or more.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
crash1984 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crash1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 6:02am
Surprised this has not gotten any mention here yet.

www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-athletic-directors-want-part-fanduel-draftkings-advertisements/

Speaking on behalf of all SEC athletic directors on Wednesday, Arkansas AD Jeff Long said that league administrators requested that advertisements for daily fantasy sports sites FanDuel and DraftKings be removed from SEC Network.

It interferes with the integrity of college football and SEC athletic directors did not want gambling associated with their game.

Earlier this week it was revealed that ESPN has nixed its in-game cover alert graphics referencing when a when a favorite was closing in on a cover (based on Vegas odds).

Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin reminded student-athletes on Tuesday that participating in a daily fantasy league results in a one year loss of elligiblity.

There’s a reason you’ve seen so many ads during college football games this season. According to Forbes, “DraftKings and FanDuel spent a combined $30 million on television advertising in the last week alone and that total fantasy football ad spend could reach as much as $175 million in the third quarter of the year.”

According to Re/Code, DraftKings has raised $75 million through investors since 2012 while FanDuel’s total sits at $86 million thanks primarily to Comcast.

Disney-owned ESPN and CBS are set to make serious cash over the next several years under current investments in these daily fantasy sports gambling sites.

Also the Pac-12 has banned FanDuel and DraftKings from their network.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 7:18pm
Fanduel has a 4 minute.

YES, 4 FVCKING MINUTES.

Of some aholes telling you to sign up and win big, this is on one of my favorite channels.

How can they give me these 7 minute commercial breaks and expect that I won't get upset?

I posted something kinda negative on their facebook page, now I'm getting a lot of spam e-mail.

I couldn't find the video, this is a pretty good parody.

ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 4:09pm
They are shady, gee how shocking. Ermm 
I wish they would go the f- away!

Scandal Erupts in Unregulated World of Fantasy Sports

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/05/draftkings-fanduel-issue-statements-as-scandal-erupts-in-world-of-fantasy-sports.html

treos View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 10:17pm

I posted something on facebook, now I'm getting a lot of spam e-mail.

Evil Smile lol welcome to facebook (fixed that for you :P). the land where they sell you're personal info (something they're well known for doing) and flood you're email with all sorts of spam crap.

i had an account at one point for about a week, then i went and looked around for ways to get rid of said account for good. i did manage to purge the vile thing but the process had a week long wait time iirc.

little to no spam before making that account > lots of spam while it was active > little to no spam after it's purging. pretty obvious where the spam was coming from and why.

i still don't understand why my aunt and uncle still simply don't care that they're personal info is being sold off like that. guess they're ok with being considered things rather than people or something (i most certainly am not ok with that).
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 10:37pm
Oh. f**k Facebook. I have an account that is obviously not under my real name, but I still get the sh*tty emails asking "do you know this person, or that person? " NO! I f**kIN' DON'T!! STOP ASKING, ME EVEN THOUGH I TOLD YOU TO STOP SENDING ME EMAILS WITH UPDATES!! CIH still does it, too. Only with certain threads, but I checked the box for no updates several times. But whatever. At least it's not Facebook again.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 10:50pm
My father had a gambling problem, so I avoid the temptation of squandering my hard-earned capital on any form of betting. This whole "draft-King" nonsense as well as it's partner "fan-duel", seems to be using sporting events as though they are stocks. I also don't invest in the bloody stock market.
This whole betting trend is a new obsession with the youth of our society.....and to be quite honest, with our future in their hands, society is f**ked!
One man gathers what another man spills
treos View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 10:58pm
while it doesn't happen near as often now, i still get the occasional red flag in my spam folder on gmail every now and then.whenever i see an email with a potentially real persons name as the sender i typically delete on sight.

"hi blah blah blah transfer blah blah blah *insert bank and/or credit card name here*"...deleted
"you've won blah blah blah contest, do blah blah blah to claim you're prize."...deleted

it's typically the blatantly obvious tried and true red flag emails like that. heh, one time, and only once, i actually got a phishing email concerning WoW. LOL nice try, but not good enough. i'm not gullible enough to fall for cheap email tricks like that.

the fact that the majority of my email is from online video games (mmos and other stuff) tends to make the bad stuff rather obvious to my eyes.
waterjockey View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 8:58am

Fanduel has a 4 minute.

YES, 4 FVCKING MINUTES.

Of some aholes telling you to sign up and win big, this is on one of my favorite channels.

How can they give me these 7 minute commercial breaks and expect that I won't get upset?

I posted something kinda negative on their facebook page, now I'm getting a lot of spam e-mail.

I couldn't find the video, this is a pretty good parody.

(snipped youtube video)

No chit.  A show I'm watching just went to commercial break, and the commercials were, in this order:

A 30 second spot for FanDuel

A 30 second AllState commercial where the woman belittles the dude for saying women can't drive.

A FOUR MINUTE commercial for FanDuel.

I don't advocate killing anyone.  But I heartily advocate extreme, and I mean EXTREME, violence against the assholes behind FanDuel, Draft Kings, the advertising agencies that produce that sewage, and the network executives that agreed to run those f*cking commercials.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 9:39am
Fantasy football has a half hour spot between 5am and 6am. I don't remember which one it is. It is usually on either Food Network  (yes, I do watch it sometimes), Comedy Central, or maybe USA. I don't remember. It just gets an auto change. Yes. A whole half hour yammering on about this crap. If I can find then I'll post it for all of you to "enjoy". Or, if I can't find it, I may be persuaded with cash, or maybe even just kind words to actually sit through and record this gem... Yeah, no. Kind words won't do it. It could be a CIA torture techniques for that.Ouch

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 11:27am
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

Fantasy football has a half hour spot between 5am and 6am. I don't remember which one it is. It is usually on either Food Network  (yes, I do watch it sometimes), Comedy Central, or maybe USA. I don't remember. It just gets an auto change. Yes. A whole half hour yammering on about this crap. If I can find then I'll post it for all of you to "enjoy". Or, if I can't find it, I may be persuaded with cash, or maybe even just kind words to actually sit through and record this gem... Yeah, no. Kind words won't do it. It could be a CIA torture techniques for that.Ouch

I just did a program search on my DVR.  It's on the "Deal" channel, whatever that is, at 0900, and again at 1900. 

There are also DOZENS of listings on multiple channels for something called "Fantasy Football for Cash".
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 12:06pm
Different channels for me friend, but close enough. I took pictures of the guide. At least a couple. I dont`t have dvr. Wonder if they're the same.

And, yes. I did end up watching Freddy's Dead.Wink

Notice the second one is an hour long? Why?Confused

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 12:08pm
There is another. Although I haven't seen it since the draftkings or Fanduel fiasco. I dunno.

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 1:04pm
I'm on the fence about whether all this publicity is good for outfits like FanDuel and DraftKings.

Where I live, online gambling is illegal.
There are currently several lawsuits against both of these outfits and it will be interesting to see how they play out. In at least one prior case, I read the courts managed to skirt the issue by addressing some other technical legal point instead and never actually ruled whether the sites were outright illegal.

Just the other night, there was a "Bones" episode on TV that invovled fantasy football.

So, either the tide will turn and these sites will become legal, (perhaps quasi-legal, like the early days of marajuana in some states), or the media attention will be their undoing.

Too bad there wasn't similar attention paid to when the Stock Markets morphed into off-track betting (as opposed to a legitimate way for growing companies to acquire capital)!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 1:42pm
Shouldn't the stock markets be considered illegal gambling anyway? Oh. Wait too much money involved from politicians .

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 2:50pm
I saw one guy claim he played a $35 game on FanDuel and won over two million.

I wonder how much he spent before he won that? 

And just because one guy claims to have done it, that doesn't mean any of the thousands and thousands of suckers they troll in with those ads are going to do it as well.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by waterjockey waterjockey wrote:

I don't advocate killing anyone.  But I heartily advocate extreme, and I mean EXTREME, violence against the assholes behind FanDuel, Draft Kings, the advertising agencies that produce that sewage, and the network executives that agreed to run those f*cking commercials.

How about a public caning? Nationally televised, or even streamed globally. That'd be cool. Evil Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic