Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best and worst TV sports theme songs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best and worst TV sports theme songs
    Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 10:53am
What, in your opinion, are some of the best and worst of TV sports theme songs?

Best for me:
--The NFL Today 80s opening theme with the "football-player" opening 
--The NCAA Today (a CBS college football studio show with Brent Musburger that was on for the 1982 and '83 seasons; the theme song of it was where the billboard cue came from for The Prudential College Football Report with Jim Nantz for 1985 and '86, and was also the source of the in-game highlight cue in those seasons)
--The CBS College Football game-opening theme for the 1984, '85 and '86 seasons (taken from the opening of Super Bowl XVIII between Washington and L.A.)
--ABC College Football 1986 and 1990
--NBA on CBS

Worst: 
--CBS College Football as it is now (has been around since 1987, and worse yet, is used for both the games and the studio coverage on their SEC coverage)
--NFL on CBS as it is now (ES Posthumus; like the college football one, used for both the games and the studio coverage)
Sponsored Links

tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 6:51pm
Best:
-NBA on NBC
-NFL on FOX
-NFL on CBS from the 80s and 90s
-NBA on TNT

Worst:
-NFL on CBS (current...it's so dull and overdramatic, kinda like their games)
-Any FOX sports broadcast that uses the NFL music. The MLB coverage used to have its own theme, but now they've started using the NFL theme for that, and it sounds horribly out of place.
The poster formerly known as producer757
videotapeguy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videotapeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 1:06am
Even though this is a news update animation, the music is said to have been used for Giants baseball on something like KTVU channel 2. I think the music is really neat.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 7:45am
Fox is using the same theme for all sports it covers.  Some of my favorites:
NBC Sports-early to mid 1970s (most sports NBC covered except some baseball)
NHL on CBS-late 1960s jazzy theme which is hard to find
Monday Night Football-70s and 80s themes before Hank Jr.
NBA on CBS-the one that had lyrics in the 70s to the Stockton-Heinsohn years in the 80s
The NFL Today on CBS-Horizontal Hold which was also used as the theme for Super Bowl X.
And here's a classic:

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 7:49am
I forgot the worst:
The current NFL on CBS theme, especially with the rap in it.
Any theme in which there is singing (NFL on NBC, CFL on TSN/ESPN2-ESPN2/3 leaves the Canadian opening)

bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 10:01am

Scroll to the 1:07:09 clip of this 1986 CBS college football broadcast between Ohio State and Washington, and you'll hear the NCAA Today theme song as it was used for The Prudential College Football Report with Jim Nantz, and subsequently hear why it's one of my favorites.

And also, timdubya mentioned a few more of my favorites (referencing the previous post).
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 11:33pm
Fox is using the NFL theme for practically ALL of their sports. MLB, College Basketball, NASCAR, you name it. Obviously Rupert Murdoch doesn't have time to make each sport unique.

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 4:23am
I've forgotten a few...the Sunday Night Football theme is excellent (the main theme, not Waiting All Day For Sunday Night. The latter is okay, but John Williams' orchestral theme is a masterpiece).

Also, the Masters theme on CBS is very calm and relaxing.

Finally, Monday Night Football ("Heavy Action") is definitely a classic, although I prefer the original. The ESPN remix sounds a little watered down.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 7:34pm
I kinda like this one sounds more upbeat and positive compared to the dreary way too serious one we have to tolerate now.

Then there's this one which sounds very similar

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic