Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lays Do Us A Flavor - 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 10:06pm
My question is... could Lays potato chips ever help one get laid?

How unfortunate for the Frito Lay Corporation, that due to society's rules of morality & etiquette, they can't take commercial advantage of their name like that.

Bet it drives them crazy.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 10:57pm
I imagne the thing that keeps them away from that is that the Lays name isn't international, so they stick to ad campaigns they can lazily carry overseas with a minor name-change.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:36am
LOL  Wow!  This has generated a lot of conversation!  Lays Potato Chips *should* result in people getting laid!  There is nothing more attractive than a person scarfing down a bag of Biscuits and Gravy flavoured potato chips!!!  Rowwwr!
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:37am
OMG, I just realized that I've finally hit the 1000 mark for posts!  Not bad considering I've been part of the forums for 17 years!!!  Jeez!
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 11:53pm
Well, I finally got to try all four flavours. They haven't been anywhere in town (Only the Lays wavy mesquite BBQ flavor is in stores here), but the Subway has all four. I bought three of them last time, and this time I managed to get the Gyro flavor.

1. Gyro: I kind of like it, kind of don't. First taste is immediately strong and acrid "yoghurt sauce", which is nice, with little hints of that "cools your tongue" sour cream. You can taste the spicing on the meat more as you swallow...but this is kind of the bad thing. the meat-element of the flavor sticks around like an after-taste and feels sort of icky on your tongue. What's worse is this flavor combines with the oil on the chips and just feels a bit greasy sitting there.

Rating: A good attempt, but poorly carried out.

2. Biscuits & Gravy: This one was a bit intimidating for me. I love biscuits, but hate gravy. I lucked out, there's no strong apparent gravy flavor (like the Chicken and waffles chips that had no really strong chicken flavor) and just have that sour floury taste of southern biscuits. Nice.

Rating: I like 'em

3. Reuban: These were excellent. Vinegar-y cabbage and the taste of sweet corn with the subtle saltiness of meat. It did a good job at mimicking its name-sake and didn't over-do some stuff or underwhelm in other areas.

Rating: Danged good

4. Truffle fries: My favourite of the bunch. Admittedly, I've not yet had the pleasure of tasting truffles, so maybe that might change my opinion at some point, but I love the spiced flavourful experience of these. It's excellent.

Rating: BEST
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Calvin View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:01am
I also tried all four flavors.

Gyro tasted weird and made my breath stink. Definitely my least favorite.

Reuben was the best for me. Tasted like real Reuben sandwich.

Southern biscuits and gravy. Actually tasted like real biscuits and gravy. My second favorite.

Truffles tasted like sour cream and onion with oil. My second least favorite.
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:28am
For me it went like this;

1 - (Best) Biscuits and gravy. These had the flavor of actual biscuits and gravy, which I love. Even has the taste of a little black pepper. 
2 - (Really good) Reuben. These tasted pretty close to a reuben sandwich. The sauerkraut, the meat and the dressing were all there.
3 - (Good) Truffle fries - These were good but not quite what I would expect in a chip. Good flavor all around, but a handful was enough for me.
4 - (Worst) Gyro. Tried one. Spit it out. Had to use vodka to get the taste out of my mouth. Granted I've only had gyros a few times, but this wasn't it. Quite possibly the worst chip ever made. AsAsoon as it hit my tongue, all I could think about and wonder was if this is what dogs taste when they eat and lick dried vomit.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Calvin View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:36am
Cannibal, thank you. The Gyro chips were gross.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Well, I finally got to try all four flavours. They haven't been anywhere in town (Only the Lays wavy mesquite BBQ flavor is in stores here), but the Subway has all four. I bought three of them last time, and this time I managed to get the Gyro flavor.

1. Gyro: I kind of like it, kind of don't. First taste is immediately strong and acrid "yoghurt sauce", which is nice, with little hints of that "cools your tongue" sour cream. You can taste the spicing on the meat more as you swallow...but this is kind of the bad thing. the meat-element of the flavor sticks around like an after-taste and feels sort of icky on your tongue. What's worse is this flavor combines with the oil on the chips and just feels a bit greasy sitting there.

Rating: A good attempt, but poorly carried out.

2. Biscuits & Gravy: This one was a bit intimidating for me. I love biscuits, but hate gravy. I lucked out, there's no strong apparent gravy flavor (like the Chicken and waffles chips that had no really strong chicken flavor) and just have that sour floury taste of southern biscuits. Nice.

Rating: I like 'em

3. Reuban: These were excellent. Vinegar-y cabbage and the taste of sweet corn with the subtle saltiness of meat. It did a good job at mimicking its name-sake and didn't over-do some stuff or underwhelm in other areas.

Rating: Danged good

4. Truffle fries: My favourite of the bunch. Admittedly, I've not yet had the pleasure of tasting truffles, so maybe that might change my opinion at some point, but I love the spiced flavourful experience of these. It's excellent.

Rating: BEST

I've tried all 4 too, and apparently, all the Biscuit and Gravy ones do not taste remotely similar, cause the bag *I* got tasted pretty much like potato chips, with a little gravy, and NO biscuit taste whatsoever. Gravy, a little, biscuits, no. My parents who have also tried them, matched my experience. Okay, but nothing special.

Reuben-tastes very much like it's namesake, best of the lot.

Gyro-I sorta taste what they were going for, but I don't think they quite got it right. Also not a fan of kettle cooked chips, which is another strike against them.

Truffles-I dunno what truffles taste like, these just tasted like chips with a garlic flavor. I like garlic, so they were good, but I can't speak to rather they actually taste like their namesake or not.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Erick Cartman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erick Cartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:48pm
The cappuccino chips from last year or 2013 were nasty and I can see why they didn't win.
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 12:19am
I finally have tried all four flavors.  Funny how things turn out, I expected to like the gyro chips the best and the biscuits and gravy the least.  
#1-Biscuits and gravy-they have a great sage/sausage flavor.
#2-Truffle fries-remind me of a mild sour cream and onion.
#3-Reuben-tastes just like the sandwich.
#4-Gyro-I could taste the dill and gyro-y flavor, but something isn't quite right.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by verminstew verminstew wrote:

#4-Gyro-I could taste the dill and gyro-y flavor, but something isn't quite right.

This seems to be a common opinion about that particular flavor. I get what they're going for, but it's just off.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 11:23am
Tried the biscuits and gravy ones a few days ago.

The biscuit flavor was a far too subtle, and got lost in the gravy... which was a little too peppery... and this comes from a biscuits and gravy expert. The balance just wasn't there. It was like breaking up a single biscuit into an entire pan of gravy. 

They weren't bad with something, but a handful by themselves got old pretty fast. A couple of chips and then a bite or drink of something to cleanse the palette, and everything was fine... but the next day I just opened the bag and grabbed a couple handfuls in passing, and the flavor built up too much and was actually a little nasty.

I'm still not interested in the other flavors, and won't waste calories on them, so I guess I'll cast my uniformed vote this year for B&Gs.

I give B&G chips a slowly raised Big Dumb Hillbilly thumbs up.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by verminstew verminstew wrote:

Isn't it common to spread that dill-yogurt (Tzatziki) on gyros? Maybe the chips might be better if dipped in some. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

The biscuit flavor was a far too subtle, and got lost in the gravy... which was a little too peppery... and this comes from a biscuits and gravy expert.

I've never had biscuits and gravy.   I've heard of it, but never knew what it was.   So, I just looked it up.   Seems like a lot of work.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The biscuit flavor was a far too subtle, and got lost in the gravy... which was a little too peppery... and this comes from a biscuits and gravy expert.

I've never had biscuits and gravy.   I've heard of it, but never knew what it was.   So, I just looked it up.   Seems like a lot of work.

When I'm distance driving, I eat at a lot of truck stops.
I love biscuits & gravy and I judge diners by them.
I especially like a sunny-side up egg on the biscuit, under the gravy. Lots of gravy.
Takes a while to work it off or sleep it off.
This is 'fat food'
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

It's not nearly as labor intensive as it is time consuming. If you ever get a hankering to try your hand at it, give me a holler... I got some pro tips for you.

Thumbs Up
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic