Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honda family Weezer 'Buddy Holly' cuteness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Bobbinapples Bobbinapples wrote:

I thought it was a funny interpretation of the commercial.

It is DEFINITE insta-mute material. This is the reason people start drinking and smoking.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up drinking"
-Airplane

Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Sponsored Links

LiberryGirl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiberryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 12:18am
I just listened to the real song. How terrible is that!
BiffSpiff View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BiffSpiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 4:26am
I actually like the original song, but I can't stand this commercial with the singalong kids.  Didn't they do this same crap with some other song?  I hope the turds who created this commercial end up looking just like Buddy Holly---  AFTER the plane crash!
ItsAllTME View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAllTME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:31am
I know lots of songs that were out before I was born. But those were good songs from the 60s. The Doors, Zeppelin, etc... Weezer wasn't worth remembering the first time around. I highly oppose the possibility that they're worthy of a comeback. I will never buy a Honda, ever, based solely on this commercial.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:32am
Honda's still showing this ad. My god.
By the way, count me in as another who's shocked the kids know this song. Most 12-year-olds (who today were born in 2003!) don't know who the heck Elton John, Billy Joel, Neil Diamond or James Taylor are, but they know every song by Lil Wayne and Jay-Z, and out here in Washington state, everyone who is on the Seattle Seahawks roster. Sad, sad sad. I'd rather jump off a 20 foot cliff than be forced to listen to 2 hours of rap.

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 4:03am
Holy sh*t...I never can adjust to that. There's something weird about the idea of people being born after you were. Maybe it's just inbuilt narcissism, but while I have no issue with 12 year olds existing, the idea that they were born 12 years after me is sort of baffling.

I have the same sort of issue with people my parents age. Even though I should logically know that someone who's "mama's" age of about 50 will be about 20-18 years younger than she is now, there's still a part of me that expects them to know and remember things my mama did when I was little and she was their age.

It's a bit scary that the world moves on. Time passes on and sooner or later I'll be the "old man" even though so much of me feels still like the kid. I was, even though I know that was already 10~ years ago.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:13am

^ It just goes faster and faster. The way I see it, when you're 20, one year is 1/20th of your existence thus far. When you're 60, it's 1/60th. Thus, when you look back, a year feels like it goes 3x as fast at 60 as it does at 20. I remember when I was little, thinking a year was practically forever. At the start of summer vacation, it seemed like it was gonna last indefinitely.

I often look back at something that happened 10 years ago and think "God, I could've sworn that happened just a few years ago". I remember hearing that Weezer song when it came out. That was 21 years ago. But it feels like it was much more recently than that. I still think of it as relatively new, or at least as not really that old.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:14pm
Re: the commercial... after having seen it only once, in spite of myself, I can't get rid of this nagging, underlying hope that they'll swerve into the path of an oncoming cement mixer.

Re: the video... that ol' Richie Cunningham sure did change shirts a lot. During only that one song, I saw him in a black v-neck pullover sweater, a red T-shirt, a kind of coral pink button down & a grey suit with a light blue shirt & red & black striped tie.

Potsie & Ralph changed clothes a couple of times, too. What's with those guys???

They moved around a lot too. One minute the three of them are in the booth directly in front of the band, then some other people are in it & they're in a different booth while Richie is over by the jukebox & going into the John.

Very confusing.

And wtf kind of name for a rock band is "Weezer" anyway? Sounds like an old fart with COPD after coming back in from walking down the driveway & back to get the mail.

All in all, I'd give it all a 100 on the stupid scale.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:42pm
Weezer is to 'rock' as Kid Rock is to 'southern rock' and the Nuge is to 'conservatism'
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:38pm

The video was pretty innovative when it came out. Other commercials and movies followed suit. At this point in time and technology, it doesn't seem that special. But I remember when Microsoft unveiled Windows 95 with it, being pretty impressed.
noskcaj View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noskcaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:44am
I don't like Weezer and don't like this commercial. If I were on the fence with Honda and another brand this would push me the other way.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The video was pretty innovative when it came out. Other commercials and movies followed suit. At this point in time and technology, it doesn't seem that special. But I remember when Microsoft unveiled Windows 95 with it, being pretty impressed.

Impressed with what... the video or Windows 95?

You're still using that on your computer, aren't you?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:06am

^ "It"...that refers to the video. I used "it" three times in my post, all in reference to the same thing---the video.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:59am
Windows 95 is an "it", too.

Unless you've taken "it" as your "woman". LOL

Then you would call it "she" or "her".

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 5:48am
ShockedDisapproveThere are two words one should never hear out of the mouth of any lttle white girl:

Dissin'

Homies
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:16am
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

Honda's still showing this ad. My god.

Yeah I saw it tonight a few times. Also another Honda ad, that dorky salesman is back who reads off Tweets. "Lisa6969 tweets: blah blah...blah. 'HASHTAG' need a new car 'HASHTAG' But I'm a broke as f***" 

Here we go with the HASHTAG crap again.

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 5:51pm
Words cannot TELL YOU how much I hate that horrible Honda commercial. Hashtag this and hashtag that.  Makes everyone look like they are addicted to Twitter.

As for me, #FoffHondaandYourHorribleHashtagCommercialThatMakesEveryoneLookStupid!!!!! AngryAngry
(yes, the # is sarcasm)

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 12:32am
anddd...tangent?

Buddy Holly, folks..buddy Weezer  HOLLY

and 'front' is another term that the caucasians should avoid
[Eminem and Kid Rock excepted]
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:17am
I'm black so... Yeah. It's a bit cringeworthy to me. I also wish this poxy song would stay out of my head when I know three million OTHER BETTER SONGS! 
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Ja'crispy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ja'crispy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:35am
Ever since the first time I had to endure the crappiness of this commercial I have felt the need to keep the remote, and especially the mute button, within one foot of me at all times.  I almost feel like Wyatt Earp or Doc Holiday...getting the quick draw on the mute button before anyone starts "singing".  After about 12 kills (mutes) just tonight alone, and after a few glasses of wine, I've gotten pretty good at spinning the remote around back and forth between my fingers and landing it back in my holster...eh, I mean pocket.

Well, at least congrats to Honda for managing to find the absolute most tone deaf family in all of existence. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Ja'crispy Ja'crispy wrote:

Ever since the first time I had to endure the crappiness of this commercial I have felt the need to keep the remote, and especially the mute button, within one foot of me at all times.  I almost feel like Wyatt Earp or Doc Holiday...getting the quick draw on the mute button before anyone starts "singing".  After about 12 kills (mutes) just tonight alone, and after a few glasses of wine, I've gotten pretty good at spinning the remote around back and forth between my fingers and landing it back in my holster...eh, I mean pocket.

Well, at least congrats to Honda for managing to find the absolute most tone deaf family in all of existence.

Don't feel bad. I've been doing that with the remote for ages & not just for this one ad. There are so many of them that make my skin crawl, I keep the remote in my lap while I'm watching TV so I won't have to reach for it & risk being exposed to one or two extra seconds of some of the vile crap these a-holes produce.

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 5:01pm
I saw this stupid commercial yesterday! Enough is enough!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
videotapeguy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videotapeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 6:26pm
That post near the beginning? I've seen that episode of Laverne and Shirley.

Anyway, I might have seen this stupid Honda commercial. If not, it's still stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic