Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NO good cartoons on TV!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 7:18pm
LOLLOL
Now that's freaking bizarre, wow!
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 9:22pm
I remember this show used to come on really late on Friday nights...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:10pm
I remember Liquid Television. That's where I remember tuning in just to watch Aeon Flux, which was another kick ass cartoon..
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 12:58am
Yeah, when I said it came on late Friday nights, I was confusing it with a similar show called Night Flight.

I remember Aeon Flux. I liked it at first, but I started tiring of it after awhile.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 1:30am
I don't think that Uncle Grandpa is supposed to be imaginary.....Especially since adults can see him too....
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 1:43am
Usually I catch "The Simpsons" on FXX most of the week. I tried to like the Marvel superhero shows from "Man of Action" and "Star Wars: Rebels" on Disney XD, but they pretty much suck. Same with the current "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." 

Man, what's keeping "South Park" & "Venture Bros" new seasons anyway?
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 1:59am

one of the quality ones.
I have 168 characters remaining.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 3:32am
Life changes when you grow up and quit watching cartoons.
Trust me,
I know,
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 5:59am
PaW, what works for the goose, doesn't work the the Egyptian force-feeding it grain to flavor its liver. :P

My family has always been a bit of escapism-junkies, and there's a lot of love for animated works. Especially the mature ones (No man can watch Grave of the Fireflies without crying, and I'll pay good money on that bet.).

I think it's simply a good medium for story-telling without the vagueness of a storybook or the technical/budgetary restrictions of live-action.

Adventure Time is a good example, there's a lot of mature and excellent story-telling in characters like the Ice King who's a man driven to insanity by a possessed magical crown, acting in "villainous" ways because of the broken heart and lost love he suffered before he became insane.

There's characters like Princess Bubblegum that are the "Love-interest/dedicated ruler" at first glance, but become Power-mad scientists, over-controlling dictators, loveless sociopaths, and ominously almost evil.

Marceline has more depth than half the supporting cast in 80% of live-action shows I've seen/heard of, the history behind the show's setting is rich and well-told with a lot of untold and subtle elements to it.

Take all this stuff and put it into a live-action format, most likely you'd lap it up; hell, plenty of the live-action shows I've seen can have some animated counterpart to them.

Why should the presentation dictate how "grown-up" the viewer is? Why cast of "cartoons" as something for the young and immature when it means limiting exposure to things like "La Planete Sauvage", "Millennium Actress," or "Whisper of the Heart", fantastic movies that do something beautiful simply because of the medium they use.

-shrugs- And regardless of all of that, there's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 10:28am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Life changes when you grow up and quit watching cartoons.
Trust me,
I know,

I'm told it gets pretty bland, that's why I'm putting it off.

Wink
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 3:54pm
^^^The board seemed awfully dead, doncha know - I HAD to see who was still alive, if there was any 'passion' out thereLOL, so I tossed my ''tang-worthy cartoon comment' on the floor and it worked, but I didn't expect 'PapaL's Panty Project to protrude so profusely' - that was a LOT of response (glad he's still awake and has a pulse).
And Darthy took it *perfectly* in stride...LOL
Wink  
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 4:51pm
It's one of those sore-spots that gets me going. That and the importance of avocado and tuna in one sandwich. :P
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I remember this show used to come on really late on Friday nights...

Those are some really dark yet entertaining cartoons!

Anybody know if Superjail is still on? I like dark humor like that!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 1:06am
You might enjoy this then...

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 2:08am
LOL that was pretty sick!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 2:20pm
I think the last animated series I cared about was Justice League unlimited, and that ended in 2006 unfortunately. Actually, wait, Wolverine and the X-Men was a...surprisingly good take on the X-Men franchise, that sadly lasted only 1 season in 2009 due to network mishandling. Crappy ending too, the finale basically set up the whole second season and seemingly killed off a major character(with most of the other characters thinking she was a traitor), but the lack of a second season basically made that all for naught(as well as that main character getting really shafted lol)
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 1:07am
I feel that I was the last generation to enjoy cartoons. If it isn't on TV, get it on Netflix or Hulu. If it isn't on there, buy it! If you can't buy it...you're f**ked!

Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:10am
I stopped enjoying "cartoons" (super hero or kiddie character type) sometime in my 20's. The only ones I enjoyed as an adult were The Simpsons & Futurama.

Oh & I watched Daria & Dr Katz, Professional Therapist, too.

That having been said, I do love good animated short films. I don't know if they're still making them as good as they did in the 70's & 80's because I don't really watch them anymore, but that older stuff that I posted a few examples of earlier in this thread is the closest thing to "cartoons" that I can watch anymore.

Cartoons that feature super heroes, or fantasy worlds or cutesy characters & that are produced as a series, just bore me anymore.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:43am
I'm surprised that "it" hasn't been on saying how awesome the Powerpuff Girls are and cranking up a new thread about them. "Which of the Powerpuff Girls do you find the hottest, and why?EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

ConfusedWink

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:47am

^you're feeding...stop it

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:56am
LOL

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

I'm surprised that "it" hasn't been on saying how awesome the Powerpuff Girls are and cranking up a new thread about them. "Which of the Powerpuff Girls do you find the hottest, and why?EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

ConfusedWink

Powerpuff Girls actually did have a fair amount of humor in it that was clearly aimed at the adults, not the kids.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

ConfusedWink

Powerpuff Girls actually did have a fair amount of humor in it that was clearly aimed at the adults, not the kids.
ShockedCry
I'd say "please provide an example", but since we're talking about PPG (which I always made the kids turn off in favor of more healthy alternatives, such as PeeWee or Ren & Stimpy), I'll just assume you were forced to watch them by older sisters, or you're a true 'cartoon aficionado'Wink

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:05pm
I remember the devil was a cross dresser.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

[QUOTE=DKS]
I'd say "please provide an example", but since we're talking about PPG (which I always made the kids turn off in favor of more healthy alternatives, such as PeeWee or Ren & Stimpy), I'll just assume you were forced to watch them by older sisters, or you're a true 'cartoon aficionado'Wink

Niece was a fan, sister noted the more subtle humor for the grownups. I can't think of any way that PeeWee was better. R&S was weird enough to be entertaining sometimes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic