Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subway Guacamooollllaaaaayyyy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subway Guacamooollllaaaaayyyy
    Posted: 04 May 2015 at 12:55am
This would be relatively harmless, were it not for the idiots saying "guacamole".  That makes this an instant hate for me...  Fortunately, they seem to be playing the short version of this one right now.  Just a couple of guacamole idiots.

It plays twice.  You're welcome.
Sponsored Links

i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 1:04am
I hate this one for the same reason. Saying guacamole nine times in 30 seconds is too much. 
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 1:27am
I wonder if some You Tube deviant would make the "guacamole" saying last for 10 minutes.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 2:07am
It should be a rule that if your commercial contains a foreign word with more than 2 syllables, you are NOT allowed to play with it in any way - say the word, don't overpronounce it like that Hispanic chick towards the end did by dragging out the e (I know it's a feature in Spanish, it's just really annoying), don't do a montage of people saying it wrong, don't have people who act all smarmy and superior for being able to say the word - JUST SAY IT!

The penalty for breaking above-mentioned rule shall be DEATH.
Joe Minx View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Minx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

It should be a rule that if your commercial contains a foreign word with more than 2 syllables, you are NOT allowed to play with it in any way - say the word, don't overpronounce it like that Hispanic chick towards the end did by dragging out the e (I know it's a feature in Spanish, it's just really annoying), don't do a montage of people saying it wrong, don't have people who act all smarmy and superior for being able to say the word - JUST SAY IT!

The penalty for breaking above-mentioned rule shall be DEATH.

Thank you. The Hispanic chick is especially annoying, though at the same time somewhat alluring.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:50pm
I feel opposite...I think the final girl was the least annoying because...even though she did stretch it out, she's the only one who pronounced it right.

Nothing sounds quite as unappetising as pronouncing it like "GWAK AA MOLEY"

Sounds like some kind of subterranean rodent with a fungus.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

I feel opposite...I think the final girl was the least annoying because...even though she did stretch it out, she's the only one who pronounced it right.

It depends on their nationality.  The correct American English pronunciation is as the first set of women in the commercial pronounced it...gwa-ca-MO-lee.

It's like "burrito".  If you're Hispanic, you might roll the R's.  If not, you wouldn't.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:08pm
I could accept that for words with a wide range of uses that we borrow from other languages like German, etc. But when it comes to a food product, I think the only acceptable pronunciation is the one it has in its native tongue, with obvious exceptions being for things the speaker is incapable of (such as rolling R's in the Spanish method).
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

This would be relatively harmless, were it not for the idiots saying "guacamole".  That makes this an instant hate for me...  Fortunately, they seem to be playing the short version of this one right now.  Just a couple of guacamole idiots.

It plays twice.  You're welcome.

I actually like the Subway lady, I think she's cute like the ATT spokesperson.
I can't stand the douchbags saying guacamole, that's why this ad gets on my nerves.
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:50pm

I could accept that for words with a wide range of uses that we borrow from other languages like German, etc. But when it comes to a food product, I think the only acceptable pronunciation is the one it has in its native tongue, with obvious exceptions being for things the speaker is incapable of (such as rolling R's in the Spanish method).

Seems like it would be too unwieldy to have to pronounce ethnic foods as they would be pronounced in the native country.  First of all, you'd have to know how all these words are pronounced in their native countries.  

Plus, it'd just sound kinda douchy to go into a bakery and ask for a "KRWA-sohn".  I'll stick with "kruh-SAHNT".  Or maybe even "crescent roll".

And I'll certainly never say spaghetti like this:

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:13am
-shrugs- I'm a hopeless pedant, what can I say. Doesn't help that half my grade in one class was being able to correctly pronounce names or artists. XD
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:34am

I was great at rolling my R's in my Spanish classes in grades 9 through 13.  Always got A's.  I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to, though.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:35am
I cannot do the Spanish R-roll, but I can do the Germanic R-roll in my sleep.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:55am

Guacamole sort of looks like some kind of subterranean rodent with a fungus, IMO.

It could taste just like chocolate chip cookies, and I still wouldn't be able to bring myself to eat it. LOL
MixPickle View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixPickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:25am
Way stupid.  Panera and Subway race to the bottom
mjk View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:27pm
I don't think I've ever seen anyone as young and perky as guacam9le girl working at a fast food place... It takes me right out of the ad.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:34pm

Originally posted by mjk mjk wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone as young and perky as guacam9le girl working at a fast food place... It takes me right out of the ad.

You're right.  Maybe it's her first day.  Or maybe it's meth.

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Maybe it's meth.

It could be.  Every restaurant does have it's own recipe for this sort of thing.  Who knows what they're throwing in there. Wink 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

You're right.  Maybe it's her first day.  Or maybe it's meth.

LOL
Yeah, that girl is way too perky and the attitude does not suit her.

Some women look good in a ballcap, she does not.  She sleeps alone tonight.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:04pm

I cannot do the Spanish R-roll, but I can do the Germanic R-roll in my sleep.

Some of my Scots relatives do their R roll, and I enjoy hearing it when I visit them.
One man gathers what another man spills
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 12:55am
I was never able to, nor was I ever inclined to, roll my R's, even when taking Spanish in High School, until I learned German.  For some reason, it gave me the incentive I needed to try, and it just happened naturally.  You can imagine that the German teacher wouldn't let you get away with not pronouncing her language properly.  Stern Smile  (She was a really sweet gal though and made the class very fun!)  Sometimes I roll my R's when I speak to my cats in my fake Scottish accent.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:22am
Between Peter Capaldi and Michelle Gomez and Karan Gillan I've developed a very fast love for all Scots accents. As a certain someone said, it's the go-to accent for being able to complain about things. :P
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:00am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

I was never able to, nor was I ever inclined to, roll my R's, even when taking Spanish in High School, until I learned German.  For some reason, it gave me the incentive I needed to try, and it just happened naturally.  You can imagine that the German teacher wouldn't let you get away with not pronouncing her language properly.  Stern Smile  (She was a really sweet gal though and made the class very fun!)  Sometimes I roll my R's when I speak to my cats in my fake Scottish accent.

German is where I learned to R-roll as well. In German though, it comes off as a noble and strong part of the language, in Spanish it just sounds more sassy and annoyingly in-your-face for some reason.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

German is where I learned to R-roll as well. In German though, it comes off as a noble and strong part of the language, in Spanish it just sounds more sassy and annoyingly in-your-face for some reason.
I agree with you! (Ich stimmen mit Ihnen!)  Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic