Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TV show cliches you are glad are basically gone?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV show cliches you are glad are basically gone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV show cliches you are glad are basically gone?
    Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 3:20am
The whole "Pool player is a sucky player when the stakes are low or non existent, suddenly becomes really good when stakes are high, and victim is played out of lots of money," TV cliche seems to be basically gone, and last year, someone said something along the lines of, "The whole Pool Player Scam worked well in like 1972, but in 2014, many people are well aware of the Pool Player Scam, and don't fall for it."

The whole "Killer puts gun in dead victim's hand, implying the victim committed suicide," cliche seems to be virtually gone too, maybe because there is so much advanced technology today, so it would be much easier to find out who the real killer is.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 3:28am

This is one of those things I never ever think about.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 2:00pm
Staged suicides still show up someitmes in shows like NCIS, Criminal Minds, and probably CSI...
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 5:12pm
Good question, can't really think what cliche genres have left? I REALLY wish the reality crap went away, so staged! Like The Bachelor, Housewifes of -, the new one I keep seeing "Little People" (something like that) AH, I think I have a phobia of little people!  Talent shows like The Voice, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars. Think you can dance, etc. Damn if people would just stop watching this crap it will fade off..but I dont see that happening. I think I  saw 10 "seasons" of that Dancing with the Has Beens, pretty easy to pull off when you air 2 to 3 seasons in one calendar year.

Superhero TV genre was big in the late 70s, early 80s with Incredible Hulk, Capt. America, Wonder Woman...but died. Seems like that's making a comeback with the "Agents" on ABC (Few more coming on other networks in talks) Also shows like The Wonder Years, grown up reflecting on his childhood days. Fresh Off The Boat looking back on the 90s is like that. The Goldbergs flashing back on the 80s also. I do like The Goldbergs because I miss growing up in the 80s personally and it also takes place in Jenkintown PA, The show mentions a ton of real local places I would hang out, businesses. So that's pretty darn cool.

The lawyer shows have been around for decades, from LA Law to How to Get Away With Murder Medical Shows from Trapper John MD, St. Elsewhere to Grey's Anatomy. I don't see those ending anytime soon also.

Sitcoms with laugh tracks, I cant stand 99% of them - Family sitcoms, eh..some are ok, Always like Family Ties and now Modern Family. Two unfunny pieces of garbage I wish the f--- they would get cancelled. Cristela, it just annoys me. Tim Allens sitcom Last Man Standing is , then to add some funny political crap every week in the show blasting the president (you can like to hate the Pres. Govt. or not) Its not the place to air his personal views to get cheap laugh. *Of course it does get a laugh from the brain dead studio audience or fake laugh track.

Yeah, Criminal Minds has repeated itself many times, staged scenes, etc. Law and Order SVU, CI, CSI also...I think the thought process and the forensics solving it keep me intrigued. (I heard from a few the new CSI Cybercrime was pretty awful, from the commercials I saw it didn't interest me.)

The latest "trend" seems be a dead kid found somewhere and we all have to speculate who did it. That Gracepoint on Fox had it this past fall, I heard that got some bad reviews. I did catch "Secrets and Lies" on ABC this past Sunday.  Same story line, but damn..that for me that was a slightly painful show to watch. Very slow, Juliette Lewis' acting was way over the top and annoying.. I did not like the characters.

Ok, that  went on and on..Im cranky, I need coffee Sleepy

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 5:44am
Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

Sitcoms with laugh tracks, I cant stand 99% of them - Family sitcoms, eh..some are ok, Always like Family Ties and now Modern Family. Two unfunny pieces of garbage I wish the f--- they would get cancelled.

Modern Family is one of the funniest shows of the past 20 years, so if you think IT should be cancelled, you have no business discussing comedy shows IMO.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 9:25am
DKS, the guy said he likes Modern Family. He hates Christela and Last Man Standing. I could see where you got confused, because he wrote "Always liked Family Ties and now Modern Family, and then said "Two unfunny shows, I wish they would get canceled", but, immediately he put Christela and Last Man Standing after.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 5:12pm
Yay! The Party City Mombo Number 5 parodies are DEAD!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
WDAN20 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDAN20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:16pm
Has the stupid zombie craze died yet? They disturb me. 
Harry's Termites and Furniture! Now with less furniture!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 3:47pm
Not gone but should be and/or diminishing:

Glowing eyes to signify evil. Particularly eyes that don't glow until the exact moment the character is revealed to be evil... like a punctuation or accentuation of the fact that we just learned by other means.

Contoured panels on space ships. You're an advanced race capable of interstellar flight, yet for some reason you waste time, energy, and resources to blow-mould panels into the exact shape of what they're covering. Cables, hoses and whatnot. 

1000 blinking, unlabeled lights. What difference does it make if the light is blinking or not, if I don't know what it means when it's blinking or when it's not?

"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:32pm
-Two dates on the same night, so the swinging bachelor(ette) has to somehow make both happen, and usually gets burned by both (rightfully so).
-The nerd that a main character brushes off for the prom ends up being really, really hot at the end of the episode.
-The nerd ends up being a great athlete who saves the game at the last second.

I sometimes watch Three's Company and Too Close for Comfort on Antenna TV, and when cliches like that or the ones the OP mentioned, it makes me glad that sitcom writing has become more sophisticated, and less cliche. Some of the plots are just terrible. LOL
The poster formerly known as producer757
Number One Navy Seal View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number One Navy Seal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

The whole "Pool player is a sucky player when the stakes are low or non existent, suddenly becomes really good when stakes are high, and victim is played out of lots of money," TV cliche seems to be basically gone, and last year, someone said something along the lines of, "The whole Pool Player Scam worked well in like 1972, but in 2014, many people are well aware of the Pool Player Scam, and don't fall for it."

People still fall for scams today like the Pool Player scam, because they are looking for easy ways to make money....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic