Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poor OLD Lindsay Wagner....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor OLD Lindsay Wagner....
    Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 4:22am
I keep seeing her in those Sleep Number bed commercials & it looks like they must've smeared a whole jar of Vaseline on the lens in order to hide her wrinkles. The image is so blurry you can hardly tell who she is.

Poor old thing. I recently saw her in an old Rockford Files rerun from the early 70's.

Oh man was she smokin!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 2:03pm
Ha ha, that's exactly what they do in the Jacklyn Smith "King Coil" mattress commercials.  I never gave it much thought but once my mom was watching with me and it came on and she said "look at how fuzzy they make that lighting and lens to hide her face!"  She's right.  Bright white back lighting and a off/soft-focus lens.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 2:18pm
Plus, in the commercial, she seems to have about as much personality as Wilford Brimley.

HDTV is probably not something she'd be a fan of.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 8:15pm
Sorry guys, I have to disagree.  She still looks attractive and she has a very calm and soothing way of speaking. 

I think it is an advantage in this case to have a professional actor that doesn't annoy you to death.

Go Lindsay!

Besides, we hadn't seen Sally Field in a long time, then she started peddling Boniva, now she has herself a show.

Vlad The Impaler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 11:27pm
Yeah, she's attractive enough, but I always thought she had the personality of a brick anyway, even when she was the Bionic Woman. And I bet she's a mean brick at that.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 12:09am
I'm rethinking my position on what's considered "old" these days.  I know 4 people currently who are well into their 90's.   So poor old Lindsay is just at middle age!  When a woman hits 50 in show biz, she should head for the knacker's yard I suppose.  Either that or look like a plastic surgery nightmare.  Nothing more silly than a 60-something actress trying to look 20.   I think of Goldie Hawn and Dyan Cannon as examples.  I admire both men AND women who allow their faces to age as nature intended.  
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Banquo View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banquo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 12:31am
Yes, people get old. You will too, big deal.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 12:56am

Here is an interview with Lindsay from 1982.

B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Banquo Banquo wrote:

Yes, people get old. You will too, big deal.

I think the issue is these are the rare few who made a killing on being "young and beautiful."  While millions of other "regular" people struggled through life, beautiful or not.  So, when it looks like SOMETHING about these larger-than-life folks is slipping, it can be vindicating to others who may have been envying those people for years.  Yeah, we'll all age (god willing should we not die first.)  But I know I didn't make millions on my youthful looks when I had them.  And I never will make millions.

It's more like "ha ha, see, she's not so special after all!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

Nothing more silly than a 60-something actress trying to look 20.   I think of Goldie Hawn and Dyan Cannon as examples.  I admire both men AND women who allow their faces to age as nature intended.  

This is how that looks:

Brigitte Bardot then Tongue:

Brigitte Bardot now :

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:25am
No, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thor, you have ruined my life!  I now have no more imagination!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I will get you!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:33am
If I have to suffer seeing what's become of my teenage wet dream, everyone else should have to also, damnit!!  AngryLOL

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:36am
I have more respect for her not hiding from people and showing her bags and crepe-y neck than I would if she were trying to look 20 again.  She's lived a life.  Not everyone wants, nor can have, plastic surgery.  When Jack Lemmon had his eye-lift he lost all of his character.  Tony Curtis, Burt Reynolds...all with bad face jobs.  I hardly recognise Melanie Griffith or Meg Ryan anymore. 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:38am
You have no idea how many times BB has made me happy.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Spicy Meatball Spicy Meatball wrote:

I have more respect for her not hiding from people and showing her bags and crepe-y neck than I would if she were trying to look 20 again.

Yeah.  I guess.  Cry

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:46am
No!  She was the perfect woman.  She should never age (in my mind).

Now I have to lust after Sarah Palin. 
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I keep seeing her in those Sleep Number bed commercials & it looks like they must've smeared a whole jar of Vaseline on the lens in order to hide her wrinkles. The image is so blurry you can hardly tell who she is.

Poor old thing. I recently saw her in an old Rockford Files rerun from the early 70's.

I noticed that too. I remember how quickly she went from looking her age to suddenly looking "younger" in that line of commercials. I also noticed the same effects in the Sally Field (who is several years older than LW) Boniva commercials. Not only did she look younger, but she suddenly gained younger children as well. Later I found out in the Parade magazine that those where child actors and not her kids. Considering that I'm 32 and she's a few years older than my mom, the idea of her having a bunch of little kids was a bit much and made it seem they were desperate to make her look a lot younger.  
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Vindicated Vindicated wrote:

Later I found out in the Parade magazine that those where child actors and not her kids. Considering that I'm 32 and she's a few years older than my mom, the idea of her having a bunch of little kids was a bit much and made it seem they were desperate to make her look a lot younger.  

I never for a second thought those kids in the ad were her children as I know she's 61 and the kids looked a weeeee too young.  I assumed they were her grandchildren--whether real, or actors
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 4:17am
Same here. I figured they were implying that the tykes were supposed to be grand kids.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Vindicated Vindicated wrote:

Later I found out in the Parade magazine that those where child actors and not her kids. Considering that I'm 32 and she's a few years older than my mom, the idea of her having a bunch of little kids was a bit much and made it seem they were desperate to make her look a lot younger.  

I never for a second thought those kids in the ad were her children as I know she's 61 and the kids looked a weeeee too young.  I assumed they were her grandchildren--whether real, or actors

Same here. I figured they were implying that the tykes were supposed to be grand kids.

Yeah, the ad after all is for osteoporosis medication, not something that most women think about during child bearing years.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 11:31pm
I think Lindsay Wagner looks fairly youthful in this ad, all things considered.

What I don't get is that she seems to be exhausted.  If the mattress is so fabulous, why does she not seem well-rested?
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 2:18am
Well I for one think Lindsay has always looked beautiful, so there. Tongue
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 2:50am
The foggy, softening lens filter is what I usually call "the douche filter" because they often film commercials for douches with one of these filters on. AngryCryAngry

IHaveStandards View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHaveStandards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 1:45am

...When a woman hits 50 in show biz, she should head for the knacker's yard I suppose...

Knacker's yard? Good heavens, Spicy. Haven't seen that term since the last time I read one of James Herriot's books. You're either a fellow JH reader or you hail from the other side of the pond...
ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 2:52am
My sleep problems have nothing to do with my f**king bed, bitch!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic