Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 184185186187188 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Got my second check from the citrus canker lawsuit the other day. This one is for $553.00

Makes a total of just over $2,150.00.

I'm thinking about getting a new citrus tree.

Maybe a tangelo tree.

Navel orange trees like the one I had take too long to begin bearing fruit.

I think lemon trees bear fruit fairly quickly, but how many lemons does any one person need?

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I think lemon trees bear fruit fairly quickly, but how many lemons does any one person need?

Exactly.

I'd like some seedless tangerines and some tangelos.

Might look into it.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 9:19pm

There should be no shortage of that stuff where you live. Probably cheap, too (though tangelos are a little more exotic).

I miss my orange tree. ๐Ÿ˜ซ

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 9:46pm
There's at least one nursery not too far from me that carries citrus trees.

The problem is just getting motivated to get in the car and drive out there.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 11:57pm
Well, with gas prices jumping 60 cents in the last week, you may want to hustle to that nursery before you canโ€™t afford gas! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Donโ€™t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 12:39am
Originally posted by MustangMarj MustangMarj wrote:

Well, with gas prices jumping 60 cents in the last week, you may want to hustle to that nursery before you canโ€™t afford gas! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Maybe I could take the bus.

They'd allow a sapling tree on a city bus, wouldn't they?

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 12:55am
I am just picturing you with a potted tree getting on a bus! Hey, thatโ€™s probably pretty tame compared to some of the things people take onto public transport!
Donโ€™t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 3:55pm
I'm celebrating my 10 year anniversary today!!!

Exactly ten years ago today, at 3 pm on Sunday, March 25, 2012, at the age of not quite 55, I worked for the last time.

When I clocked out that afternoon, I said good riddance to busting my ass and to kissing anyone else's.

I've been happily unemployed ever since.

๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽŠ ๐Ÿฅณ ๐Ÿฅƒ ๐Ÿท ๐Ÿธ ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿพ ๐Ÿบ ๐Ÿธ ๐Ÿท ๐Ÿฅƒ ๐Ÿฅณ ๐ŸŽŠ ๐ŸŽ‰

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 5:47pm

Then, you should be collecting SS at this point, right?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 8:45pm
Have been for going on three years now.

Going on Medicare soon, too.

$170 bucks a month.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 9:37pm

What's that $170/mo? Cost for Part B or something?

I have my Medicare card, but because I have coverage through work, don't have any use for it yet. I guess when I stop working, I'll have to look into Part B and C and Supplemental or whatever the hell all that stuff is.

I get SS now. I just put it in the bank. It's not like I buy lotsa stuff at this point, so it's not cause for excitement.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

What's that $170/mo? Cost for Part B or something?

I have my Medicare card, but because I have coverage through work, don't have any use for it yet. I guess when I stop working, I'll have to look into Part B and C and Supplemental or whatever the hell all that stuff is.

I get SS now. I just put it in the bank. It's not like I buy lotsa stuff at this point, so it's not cause for excitement.

Yeah, the $170 is for part B.

The part that pays outpatient doctor visits and some medications.

Of course there's a deductible and co-pays, etc. 

I'll probably spend far more in premiums than I'll ever collect in benefits. 

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 10:13am

Yeah, even with my coverage through work, I don't understand why I pay what I pay.

When I had heart surgery. I was expecting to pay way more than I did. After all was said and done, I incuured about $220,000 in charges, of which I ended up paying only about $7,000 out of my own money. I was expecting to have to pay that 25% that my plan had me expecting I'd have to pay.

I just don't understand how medical billing works.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 12:32pm
I'm not sure, but I think the amount you ended up paying might have reflected your 25% of what the insurance company was charged.

Insurance companies get big discounts.

The $220k figure you saw was possibly the pre-discounted figure.

IOW, the amount a non-insured patient would have been on the hook for.

I'm just guessing, though.

Seems logical.

There might have been some other factors involved.

But if my guess is true or even mostly true, it gives you an idea of just how badly hospitals rape the uninsured.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 3:30pm

Sounds plausible. It's good to have coverage.

I actually ended up making money on my heart surgery. When all was said and done, I cleared $13,000 on all that, thanks to a little policy worth 20 grand I had through work.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 6:32am
No macadamia nuts this year. Cry  The top half of the tree is dead (I'm hoping it was from a freeze earlier this year, and not something else.)  So, taking down all the dry, dead parts, as it's a potential fire hazard.  There is some sap coming from lower cuts that I made, so that's a good sign it might recover.  The only 'positive' is that the Censored tree-rats aren't getting any either, the little bastards can starve...  LOL
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 5:33am
Okay, pretty sure it wasn't a freeze or disease that did in the tree, I think it was hit by lightning (or a strike near enough to fry the roots.)  If that's the case, it won't be coming back...  Unhappy
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 12:19am
Lightning took out our well controls in North Carolina and last year (we are in Florida now), lightning fried a section of our sprinkler system and killed a Queen palm!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 6:17am
Corned beef fajitas.  Nope, not making those again...
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 1:39am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Corned beef fajitas.ย  Nope, not making those again...

Sorry Mr. Tim, but those sound gross!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 3:16am
Oh, I dunno.... add some Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and brown mustard and you'd have Reuben fajitas.

Sounds OK.... ๐Ÿค”

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 8:49am

That sounds gross to me, too. I dunno why, other than the fact I don't like corned beef.

radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 6:35pm
My power chair got fixed yesterday. I'm very glad its working again.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 8:11pm
Glad to hear you're up and running again. ๐Ÿ‘

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 10:03pm

My hometown's been in the news recently. Seems that since 1975, 85 former students and staff have developed a rare form of brain cancer. This came to light after a former student looked into the matter. Seems he, his wife and his sister (all alumni) all developed this rare cancer. His sister died from it.

The county is looking into it. It's possible the school was built on irradiated soil.

We'll see, I guess.

How very NJ.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 184185186187188 197>
  Share Topic