Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156157 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I finally made an appointment with the eye doctor.  I was running around in heavy rain yesterday, trying to find the other Pizza Hut. I can't see out of my left eye, it's all just a blur. The right lens of my glasses is cracked.  I quit driving at night.

I turned into a one way street-THE WRONG WAY!  I ran over a couple of curbs in a parking lot.  They can see me on weds. morning.

Are you going to get Lasik surgery?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I finally made an appointment with the eye doctor.  I was running around in heavy rain yesterday, trying to find the other Pizza Hut. I can't see out of my left eye, it's all just a blur. The right lens of my glasses is cracked.  I quit driving at night.

I turned into a one way street-THE WRONG WAY!  I ran over a couple of curbs in a parking lot.  They can see me on weds. morning.

Are you going to get Lasik surgery?

I don't know. I was thinking cataracts. I saw the doc back in 06 or so, he said I had an Astigmatism  back then.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 9:29pm
Holy sh*t, aka!

Can you get someone to drive you?

A woman I work with had cataract surgery. When the light hits her eyes at a certain angle, it looks like a camera's aperture in her eye.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 3:59pm
I was able to do something this morning that I had been wanting to do ever since I bought this tablet computer I use. And that was to get my old copy of Adobe Photoshop 6 installed on it.

The old copy is on a CD and these new tablet/notebook things don't have DVD/CD drives in them.

So I was looking online for a cheap external drive that would run on my tablet but couldn't find one. 

However, I happened across a discussion forum where someone was talking about the same thing and one answer was something I should have figured out for myself.

I got out my old full sized Acer laptop which still (mostly) works, and which has a DVD drive. I plugged in a thumb/flash drive, then simply copied the entire program onto the flash drive.

My tablet doesn't have standard USB ports for the flash drive, but about a year or so ago, I found an adapter online that was designed specifically for my tablet and allows me to plug 2 flash drives and a memory card into it.

So then I just plugged in the adaptor, plugged the flash drive into it, opened up the program folder then ran the Adobe setup file and voila! 

I now have a working copy of my all time favorite graphics program, Adobe Photoshop on my tablet.

I'm happy.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 4:23pm
Good job!  Very resourceful!  I did something similar once.   I wanted an old editing program on my laptop and it said it wasn't compatible, but I thought, what the heck, give it a try anyway.  So, after putting the program on a flash drive and uploading to my laptop, it worked just fine for some reason.  If there's a will, there's a way.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

Good job!  Very resourceful!  I did something similar once.   I wanted an old editing program on my laptop and it said it wasn't compatible, but I thought, what the heck, give it a try anyway.  So, after putting the program on a flash drive and uploading to my laptop, it worked just fine for some reason.  If there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks Caroln.

It's always satisfying when you figure out how to solve your own tech issues without having to consult someone and then pay them for it. Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Thanks Caroln.

It's always satisfying when you figure out how to solve your own tech issues without having to consult someone and then pay them for it. Thumbs Up

I agree.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:40pm
I have cataracts. I go back on Tuesday for some tests. No date set for the surgery.  I guess they knock me out for this...That's good!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:12pm

I have cataracts. I go back on Tuesday for some tests. No date set for the surgery.  I guess they knock me out for this...That's good!

Wow.

Best of luck!!!!! Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:20pm

So, it turns out that my workaround for some reason wasn't "as successful" as I thought.

After I install the program on my tablet, it opens up just fine and works just fine.... until I close and then try to reopen it. I get an error message that says a hardware or system malfunction has occurred that cannot be corrected.

I have to uninstall the program then reinstall it every time I want to use it. Nt the biggest PITA in the world, but inconvenient nonetheless.

On a slightly brighter note... along with Photoshop there was included a separate program called Adobe Image Ready which is kind of a "Photoshop Lite". Works basically the same as PS but missing a few of the more advanced tools.

And it works every time I launch it.

I'm going to look into why PS might be malfunctioning after every first use and see if there isn't something in the settings I can change to correct it.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:24pm

Good luck to you!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:27am

I got up today, thinking it was 5am. When I turned the TV on and saw the readout on my cable box, I saw it was 4. Seems I forgot about the return to Standard Time. So, there I was, out of bed, with the TV on---at 4am, as if I was going to work!   

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 4:03pm
It happens to many of us during daylight savings time. You're not alone!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 4:41pm

Yeah, but I'm usually on top of this stuff. The problem this year is that it happened first thing in November, before I was even thinking about it.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:38pm
The truck changed the time for me, the cell phone is always a day late or so.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 5:35pm
Reason number 126- Why you should not buy a 'year round cottage' in Wisconsin.

My neighbor has been helping me. The well pump and pressure tank are outside.

This space is insulated and heated with a light bulb.  Wally convinced me to buy one of these heating elements and a thermostat.  He did the work too!  The heater measures only 4 X 2 inches and much more efficient than a light bulb.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:38pm
My second visit to the eye doctor...

I must have stuck my face in 5 or 6 different machines.  The cataract in my left eye is so dense one of the machines would not even work. The two girls could not get the results they wanted so they called in the more experienced 'Kevin'.  Easy name to remember.  He numbed my eye and stuck this thing in my eyeball.

I'm a difficult patient, they had trouble at the hospital sticking needles into my veins.  I had 3 tubes at one time. They even stuck me in the neck, there is a bump there now. I SHOULD SUE THEIR ASSES FOR WHAT I OWE THEM!!  Angry
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:50pm

My second visit to the eye doctor...

I must have stuck my face in 5 or 6 different machines.  The cataract in my left eye is so dense one of the machines would not even work. The two girls could not get the results they wanted so they called in the more experienced 'Kevin'.  Easy name to remember.  He numbed my eye and stuck this thing in my eyeball.

I'm a difficult patient, they had trouble at the hospital sticking needles into my veins.  I had 3 tubes at one time. They even stuck me in the neck, there is a bump there now. I SHOULD SUE THEIR ASSES FOR WHAT I OWE THEM!!  Angry

I hope you get all these medical issues cleared up then...

Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 7:16pm
Thanks Jimbo!

I can't wait until the insurance company denies my claim for the eye doctor. As long as my heart is still beating, I have to be able to see and drive.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 6:28pm
I've been putting off finding a local doctor to see. 2 of my prescriptions have run out. Not only that, the eye doctor requires a pre-op exam.  I suppose just to see if I am healthy enough to survive the surgery.

I see a lady doctor (Sarah) next Thursday.  I wonder...Is she going to make me turn my head and cough?
Bend me over a table and stick a finger in me? Embarrassed Anyway, my eye surgery is scheduled for 12/1 for the first eye. I get the feeling this will not covered by my insurance. 2700 some dollars an eye.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 5:15pm
I started putting my tools away. I'm not enjoying this. It's so dark in the shed. I found a long extension cord and a trouble light. I was pretty pooped out by this time. My back hurts if I stand in one place for a while.

It's been so mild, I can go out there early tomorrow when I have more energy.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 4:18pm
I got the shed all organized and made some space for the tractor and the snow blower.

I knew going to the hospital would be expensive!  I didn't expect to be stuck there for 12 days, they wanted to keep me longer!  More expensive tests and procedures. My sister told me to contact this group...

National Patient Advocate Foundation

I have yet to make any phone calls.  I want to get an attorney on this right away.

The subtotal last week was $29,000. The latest EOB-  $71,000  Jesus Christ!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 4:47pm
If worse comes to worse, maybe you can work out an affordable payment plan and drag it out for as long as you can.

Keep as much of your assets in your own name as you can.

If you have a lot of cash, see about converting it into some kind of stock portfolio that they can't touch.

Your lawyer probably has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Also.... if your Social Security is direct deposited into your bank account, nobody can touch it.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 6:31pm

My 6 days in the hospital in 2018 was $200,000+. But I don't know how all this stuff works. I think it would've been a lot less if I didn't have coverage.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

My 6 days in the hospital in 2018 was $200,000+. But I don't know how all this stuff works. I think it would've been a lot less if I didn't have coverage.

I heard that it's those who have no insurance who get hit with the highest charges because insurance companies are able to negotiate better deals. 

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156157 197>
  Share Topic