Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:30pm
I didn't know they were going to tear up the lawn too!  There is/was a sprinkler head right there too!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 5:17pm
They had a lot of trouble with the concrete, at 3 hours in they are just now exposing the pipe.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 6:22pm
What a f*cking mess!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:40pm
This is how they left it, we need some rain to help the gravel and soil settle.  I couldn't even find pieces of the sprinkler! I pulled all of the flags so I could mow what I could.

Not only was the sound of the leak traveling into the house, the water was making its way to the sump pit!  The sump pump has virtually stopped running.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 2:03am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Got a scare last night.  Woke up in the dark & thought somebody was standing next to the bed.  Let out a yell & turned on the small (but still bright enough to blind you) flashlight I keep nearby.  Nothing there.  Shook for a few minutes afterwards.  If I'd had a gun within reach there would have been a few rounds fired...  Shocked
ShockedJust a 'Shadow Person', eh?
Be careful on the 'gun thoughts', please...let me tell you a very little, very true PaWtail...

I've always brought people on board based on their capabilities, rarely considering 'full background checks'. This has always been proven very good for all involved, other than ONE TIME, about 30 years back when I brought on a person who had finished seven (7) years in prison because he took a large pipe wrench to a man he caught in bed with his 4th or 5th wife - I forgot which (he was on his 8th, when I snatched him up - he was a 1/2 American Indian genius, right at the mental line that separates genius from insanity). He was always broke because of child support, but at least he paid it. He became my most loyal working partner for a few years until he retired, but he could be terrifying!
He was also an incredible auto mechanic and had one awfully fancy hot rod he had fixed up years before and also an avid gun collector...with coke-bottle glasses. When our house got sacked during our Florida days, he was over before the police - along with his fully-operational AK-47, which the cops weren't anywhere near ready to deal with (they simply asked he put it back in his car). That's NOT the story.
He often traveled as I do - by car and living cheap, but he ALWAYS carried 'defense', which was a chrome-plated .44 Magnum Smith & Wesson. He took his glasses off and always slept with his gun under his pillow, rarely, if ever, putting glasses back on before he would react if startled, which happened on one trip down in South Carolina, where someone startled him about 3 AM at a fleabag motel, where he 'repainted' a room. It didn't matter he was right, because of his felony record with the pipe wrench incident - he wasn't supposed to be armed - EVER. I tossed his bail and got him a lawyer who not only got him out of everything, he even got his .44 back. The other person never made it out of the hotel room in one piece. Having to do this for him never really bothered me, but it did change me in one way and that is for ANYONE wishing to have a gun within reach when being startled awake still freaks me out some. Yea, the Missus NEVER liked this guy, but tolerated him as he was great 90% of the time. It was always the other 10% that was concerning...soooo, how would YOU react when put in the same position? What if the unlucky recipient was a loved one?  
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 4:12am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

This is how they left it, we need some rain to help the gravel and soil settle.  I couldn't even find pieces of the sprinkler! I pulled all of the flags so I could mow what I could.

Not only was the sound of the leak traveling into the house, the water was making its way to the sump pit!  The sump pump has virtually stopped running.

Dude... You'll be lucky if you come out of this without an ulcer!!!

Hope everything works out for you and they leave you with more than just the shirt on your back!!!
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 5:29am
ShockedJust a 'Shadow Person', eh?
Be careful on the 'gun thoughts', please...let me tell you a very little, very true PaWtail...

Not the first time I've had ghostly 'presences' in the room at night (they seem to visit once every few years.)  And no, I don't sleep with a gun nearby.  In case of an actual intruder, I have a nice collection of sharp, stabby X-Acto knives within reach.  Wink  In any event, my little blinding LED light banished whatever was there.  May have to upgrade to one of those Ghostbuster beam thingies if they start to become a frequent problem...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:44am
Quote ...In case of an actual intruder, I have a nice collection of sharp, stabby X-Acto knives within reach...
ClapBig smileA man after my own heart and image! It is simply AMAZING how much damage & pain they can inflict.
I know them well and used to carry a sheathed one or a handled locking box cutter until I had to prove 'self-defense' about 20 years ago (in Texas) when a few idiots tried to rob me with nothing more than their own brute force. The Missus was more than pissed (she wasn't there, but on her way, getting there AFTER the 'To Protect and Serve'-crowd, so there was little she could immediately do but follow and leave me for 72 hours of fun playing with milk carton cards and soap dominoes, while making new connections). Very good lawyers (and a few Judges) have always been some of my best friendsLOL. I no longer even carry a pocket knife in bad areas (back then I had to promise HER I wouldn't), but I do have a lot of 'Hood Cred' and 'Local Protection' if I meander into a seedy part of town to chat a bit, and even then, only in daylight. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Dude... You'll be lucky if you come out of this without an ulcer!!!

Hope everything works out for you and they leave you with more than just the shirt on your back!!!
Thanks, man.  That must be why my gut hurts!

Mama just got home from Green Bay.  She said it was a great concert.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 5:38am
Quote It is simply AMAZING how much damage & pain they can inflict.

I know, I've nailed my own fingers a few times. Wink  I do have one cheapo fold-up knife that I received in a box of hobby stuff from ebay.  I should get rid of it, the damn thing scares me...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 5:13pm
It's been cooler than normal here lately, Mama is at a Market in Winneconne. They were rained out there last weekend and there is more rain coming today.

I asked my buddy up at the Ultimart (The Manager). This store is a combination gas station/convenience store/bait shop/hardware store/Subway restaurant.  The McDonald's in town also shares a building with a gas station.  Anyway!  My garden hose spray nozzle must have been frozen in the garage and it doesn't work anymore.  My buddy knows walking can be a challenge for me, he had people in the store but he told me where I could find it.  Saving me a few steps.  I need to clean up the garage and wash the floor!  Not to mention washing my truck.  Everybody needs a good spray nozzle!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 5:34pm

I need to clean up the garage and wash the floor!  Not to mention washing my truck.  Everybody needs a good spray nozzle!

I need to find one of those "high pressure" hose end sprayers that you can put liquid soap or detergent into and it mixes it with the water as it flows out of the nozzle.

Mainly for washing my car with, but anything else, too.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 4:07pm
Looks like they might pour the concrete today, I wonder how they handle such a small quantity of crete.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 5:32pm
I asked the guy...Do I have to buy a whole truck load of concrete?  He said we need one yard, the truck carries two yards. So, yeah. Cry

Summary: Concrete Delivery Prices
On average, concrete delivery costs $120 to $200 per cubic yard. Companies usually charge a standard delivery charge of $60 to $200. Customers typically pay between $1,200 and $1,600 for their concrete projects.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 6:16pm
It's a two aspirin kind of day! My bad hip and the headache I get when I see people working outside.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:02pm
Asprin doesn't do anything for me. I need a couple of 500mg acetaminophens to ease any pain that's bad enough to take a pain reliever for.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 5:08pm
The guy took down the form boards, I have to wait until Monday before I can drive on it.  I tried to pull some of the dirt back into the trench.  There are a lot of big chunks that I'm going to have to chop up as I go.  I feel like I need a nap!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 5:12pm
So how much did the concrete pour end up costing you, if you don't mind me asking?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of having a patio about that size installed in my back yard.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 5:41pm
I have no idea what the cost is at this point.  I tried to get the plumbers to give me a ballpark figure last week. They must not keep very good records or are just not organized. They were here for 7 hours, I should have asked the concrete guy what we were looking at.  He was hired by the plumbers.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 4:50pm
It's going to be hot today! 88 with dew points in the 60s...Too damned hot for ME to be working outside.

I did tough it out and did some chopping with a long narrow spade, raked some more dirt into the trench and then ran over the dirt with my truck.

I need a little tiller to finish it off.  I can probably rent one for a few hours.  Maybe buy a bag of top soil and some seed.

Mantis 7228 2-Cycle Tiller/Cultivator
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 5:55pm

It's going to be hot today! 88 with dew points in the 60s...Too damned hot for ME to be working outside.

I did tough it out and did some chopping with a long narrow spade, raked some more dirt into the trench and then ran over the dirt with my truck.

[/URL]

Sheeeit.

Down here, we would kill for 88° with dew points in the 60's vs. the 98° with dew points in the 80's that we've been experiencing over the past couple of weeks and which is not entirely atypical of an average summer day around here.

Re: your driveway... you're always going to have that color difference between the new patch job and the old, original part.

That would drive me crazy.

I wonder why they can never more closely match the color of concrete.

Seems like something they could do nowadays.

Maybe some concrete paint would make it look more closely matched.

My OCD would be going haywire!!!!

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 5:36am
My pool is 88° Got in it this week to regrout cracks in the tile.  It was nice... 

Don't waste money on 'concrete paint'.  In 6 months the new concrete will weather to about the same colors as the old (and in aka's case, the 6 months after that it will be covered in snow )
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

My pool is 88° Got in it this week to regrout cracks in the tile.  It was nice... 

Don't waste money on 'concrete paint'.  In 6 months the new concrete will weather to about the same colors as the old (and in aka's case, the 6 months after that it will be covered in snow )

I dunno.

I don't think it will. I've seen concrete patch jobs that never match the original. Years later you can still see the difference. And while paint isn't necessarily the perfect solution, there might be other things that could speed the process up a little.

I would even try shoveling dirt onto it, wetting it a little and scrubbing it in with a stiff push broom. Maybe drive the truck over the top of it to grind it in. Of course you'd have to do it many, many times before it showed any progress.

I think I'd go with the paint.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 5:20pm
The neighbor two doors down had to replace their valve back when they did the work in the crawl spaces. 3 or 4 years ago? I meant to snap a pic when I drove by there...Super space case, earth to aka ron!

Not much change in the color yet. This house was built in 1994 so the driveway was poured that year also.

At 25 years old, I wish my roof looked as good as the driveway.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 5:53am
You won't see any color change for a while.  It is still full of water & curing.  Eventually the top will 'oxidize' to the color you are used to.  It only bugs you now because it's new... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 197>
  Share Topic