Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm
HAH!!  Mama, is in the local paper! I think last week was the last day of The Thursday Night Market.

I may have to scan it.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 1:43pm
I guess I should clean the glass on the scanner.  Embarrassed

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 3:47pm
Nice, a-ron. Did she sell a lot of her stuff?

Re: the scanner, you could also try taking a picture of the picture with the camera in your phone or tablet.

That's how I've replaced my old scanner.

I've found that I can easily copy any photo or document in decent quality resolution, simply by laying it down with a good light source placed where the shadow of my hand doesn't block the light (from the top), and snap a digital pic.

Then I can use any simple photo editing app to crop the edges.

Piece of cake.

Just a suggestion, of course.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:02pm
I think my phone has a tiny memory card, I filled it up quick and have not tried to format it.  The wife's iPhone can take great photos and even videos without having to rely on YouTube.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:39am
Once the Sprint bill gets here, Mama is already using Consumer Cellular, I will probably get a new (cheap) phone.

I went to the grocery this morning, I had this on my list.

DAMMIT!  I forgot to get some!  I had just replaced one bulb, there are 4 of them in the kitchen, it lasted less than 24 hours! Angry

I did get some breakfast sausage, I'm going to make some sausage gravy a little later on today.  Tongue
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 5:21pm
It's so freaking cold here, I wish I would have bought some wood pellets. I talked about this last year, they (Menards) was always sold out.  I have plastic covering the fireplace because the insulation isn't very good around the wood burner. The space heater is struggling to keep it 70 degrees in here.

I'm not taking down the plastic until I'm ready to clean the flue pipe, a REAL PITA!  I'm not starting a fire until the pipe is cleaned.  I can get a whole truck load of wood, one face cord, for about 60 bucks.  Enough to heat the house for about 3 weeks, depending HOW cold it is.  I usually don't have to start burning wood until about mid November.

FOOD!

We won a medium order of fries!  I won't even eat their french fries anymore but Mama will. Tongue

I have a new choice for breakfast!  Sausage gravy is pretty friggin easy even for an a ron like me. It's soooooo good! 

Some Johnsonville original breakfast sausage, I'm still working on the perfect measured ingredients for one serving. I think even a very picky member would be pleased and offer a positive review...

If his doctor let him eat good sh*t like this!  Tongue

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 5:58pm
I took the carb off of the leaf blower, I use compressed air to clean up the external parts.

I pulled off the fuel line, forced some air into the carburetor through the inlet, it runs like a champ!

I tightened up the tarp on the boat and backed that into place.  I didn't even hit the garage! Embarrassed

I'm charging up my iPod, the other camera.  I have to post it on facebook first.

Thye trees are looking pretty cool about now.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 6:01pm
This little town has been a PITA, but we really do like it here.  I've watched these trees almost double in size in the past 12 years.  The emerald ash borer has been a big problem across the state, I feel pretty lucky that the Ash tree is doing so well.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 6:28pm
You did it again and now you can bite my ash!LOL
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 6:36pm
LOL
You are a son of a birch, PaW. Wink

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 6:55pm
I really want to go back to The Den sometime soon - we had some infestation up there, also. Think it was another tree eater but it did require removal of trees, which really bothers me. I'm a huge 'tree hugger', so I feel for ya there, aka - I hope you do not loose your ash, or hopefully can nip it in the bud early on.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

This little town has been a PITA, but we really do like it here.  I've watched these trees almost double in size in the past 12 years.  The emerald ash borer has been a big problem across the state, I feel pretty lucky that the Ash tree is doing so well.

Sounds like something that if you're not careful, could become a real pain in the ash.

Yeah, I know.

That was pretty weak.

I'm just kinda draggin' ash today.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:15pm
^ LOL

My new phone is here!

ALCATEL GO FLIP-OFF ALL OF THE TELEMARKETERS

Key Features
  • Large, easy-to-use classic 12-key keypad
  • Bright, colorful main display screen
  • Additional external display screen
  • 2.0MP digital camera with 6x digital zoom
  • Calendar and contacts app installed
  • Bluetooth® 3.0
  • Supports up to 32.0 GB microSD card (microSD card not included)
  • FM Radio

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 9:35pm
Does it have the over-sized dialing pad numbers and on screen text for old folks with diminished vision?

Does it have the extra loud speaker too?

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 10:48am
LOL

WHAT?

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 5:28pm
I/we tried to activate my new phone, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there is a delay on a Sunday.

Consumer Cellular sent instructions, they said to NOT CALL THE PREVIOUS PROVIDER.  That kinda sucks!
I wanted to give Sprint a piece of my mind...Angry

Mama said they gave her quite a time when she cancelled her phone, DON'T LEAVE US!

Just like when I cut the cable TV, this asshole was relentless!  "I'll reduce your bill by $30" He wouldn't take no for an answer!

Screw you, Sprint! The bill for 2 phones finally hit $100. CC is giving us the same service for $35 a month.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 5:44pm
I've been learning my new phone. Confused

Make a phone call.
Send a text.
Take a call from 'Credit Card Services'.  These people are the scum of the earth!
I used one of my favorite lines to keep them with me until the uncomfortable end.

Yeah, sure! Help me with my credit cards! Then, I say.  I'm a little busy right now, your mom has my c*ck in her mouth!  LOL  And!  We have discount boner pills! Evil Smile

And let's not forget something else my new phone does.  Uh oh.  A ron has another camera. Embarrassed

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 3:00am
Went to the annual old farts' Halloween "party" today. And I use the term "party" very loosely.

Didn't stay long. About an hour.

Rinky dink little hot dogs, popcorn, cupcakes & cookies, punch, cotton candy, snow cones and coffee.

Had my Halloween punkin t-shirt on....

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 9:10am
LOL  Nice shirt!

It's that time of the month...I balanced the checkbook because I need a few things at the grocery store.
 About $50 left and I don't want to use a credit card. I trimmed the list to things we will need today and tomorrow.  The deposit won't happen until about 6am tomorrow.  I spent $44.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:53am
Broke down & bought a 2-pack of 100W LED bulbs for $5 (they only draw 15W.)  Tried them in the living room lamp, but they kept shorting out, so switched lamps (they worked in that one.) 
So, averaging 4 hours per night, I'm saving about 300W each night.  That should take a nice bite out of the electric bill...   Big smile
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:04pm
LOL
Counting kilowatts are we?  I just now (today) cleaned the flue pipe on the wood stove. I went down the road for a quick/close source of firewood.  They were sold out, I called my dependable wood man up in Pine River.  No answer.  I left him a message, I'll go up there tomorrow if it's OK with him.  I don't like hearing the furnace run.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 5:56am
Quote Counting kilowatts are we?

Oh yeah. Wink   Unplugged the garage door opener a few days ago (can plug it back in when I need it.)  Lots of minor appliances are "vampires", drawing power even when "off" in standby mode.  5w to 20w per hour per appliance adds up over time.  Just unplugging the CD/stereo when I'm not using it saves a bunch.  Plus the power co is getting a rate increase, so every Kw I shave off saves me $5+.  Waiting for 2 other lightbulbs to burn out so I can replace them with LEDS, too.  Some things like VCRs stay plugged in, as resetting the clocks is a PITA...
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 6:25am
Also made Spanish paella today (it's like a rice casserole.)  Second try around, still experimenting.  Added more spices this time, but needed to add more liquid.  I don't add saffron as that stuff is expen$ive Shocked.  Hell, it would be worth more to grow than pot...  LOL

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 5:30am
No 75ft arch this year.  Tried to put it up this afternoon, but it twisted and snapped like McKenzie Milton's knee.  Might try again next year, but I'm already planning something different.  The 50 footer will still go up this year though... Wink
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

No 75ft arch this year.  Tried to put it up this afternoon, but it twisted and snapped like McKenzie Milton's knee.  Might try again next year, but I'm already planning something different.  The 50 footer will still go up this year though... Wink
LOL

I saw the replay!  Yikes!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 197>
  Share Topic