Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

ShockedShockedShockedOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I'm telling Jimbo on you! He will tell you that is impossible as the ingredients used at every Subway are identical and YOU are calling him a fibber because YOU believe one Subway has greasier balls than another.

I dunno, Pa.

Sounds to me like a "certain someone" needs to work on getting a life.

But to address your Earth shattering concerns, let me remind you that just because one Jersey ghetto Subway runs a dirty store and never cleans out it's meatball pot, which in turn, allows grease to build up over time, does not mean they have their own special "extra greasy" meatball recipe or that they get their meatballs from some other supplier that the other Subways do not.

That store is obviously an anomaly and they are doing something wrong if the quality of their products are sub standard.

That would be like saying the Tuna could be different, or maybe the tomatoes. Why didn't ol'Mule jump all over you for this?

All their MEAT ingredients, including tuna and meatballs, are shipped frozen or refrigerated from a single supplier and as such, they are all IDENTICAL. You can accept that or not, it doesn't affect me either way. I'm just trying to educate you to the ways of the business world.

Obviously their fresh vegetable toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms etc, because they cannot be shipped frozen and are much more susceptible to rotting and spoilage, are purchased locally from local suppliers.

So I suppose that yes, it's possible that you might find a difference in the freshness or quality of vegetable toppings from one store to another due to the local grower or the supplier, but things like olives, yellow pepper rings and sliced pickles etc, that come sealed in cans or jars, and (as I said) their meat ingredients, are all exactly the same from one store to another.

If one store doesn't take enough care and effort to clean their containers or prepare their food in a quality manner, that proves absolutely nothing.

Ya gotta think in life, Pa. Think!!!!

Knee jerk reactions and flying off the handle is the purview of knuckleheads.

Or maybe even "special knuckleheads".

So I ask you again Pa, are you a "special knucklehead"?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

ShockedShockedShockedOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I'm telling Jimbo on you! He will tell you that is impossible as the ingredients used at every Subway are identical and YOU are calling him a fibber because YOU believe one Subway has greasier balls than another.

I dunno, Pa.

But to address your Earth shattering concerns, let me remind you that just because one Jersey ghetto Subway runs a dirty store and never cleans out it's meatball pot, which in turn, allows grease to build up over time, does not mean they have their own special "extra greasy" meatball recipe or that they get their meatballs from some other supplier that the other Subways do not.

That store is obviously an anomaly and they are doing something wrong if the quality of their products are sub standard.

That would be like saying the Tuna could be different, or maybe the tomatoes. Why didn't ol'Mule jump all over you for this?

All their MEAT ingredients, including tuna and meatballs, are shipped frozen or refrigerated from a single supplier and as such, they are all IDENTICAL. You can accept that or not, it doesn't affect me either way. I'm just trying to educate you to the ways of the business world.

Obviously their fresh vegetable toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms etc, because they cannot be shipped frozen and are much more susceptible to rotting and spoilage, are purchased locally from local suppliers.

So I suppose that yes, it's possible that you might find a difference in the freshness or quality of vegetable toppings from one store to another due to the local grower or the supplier, but things like olives, yellow pepper rings and sliced pickles etc, that come sealed in cans or jars, and (as I said) their meat ingredients, are all exactly the same from one store to another.

If one store doesn't take enough care and effort to clean their containers or prepare their food in a quality manner, that proves absolutely nothing.

Actually, that was in California.  Moot point.  Carry on.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Actually, that was in California.  Moot point.  Carry on.  LOL

If it was in California, I'm surprised they even served meat products.

I woulda figured they only served veggie "meatballs".

Or tofu.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 11:47pm

I dunno, Pa.

Please quit dazzling me with your 'brilliance'...it really is getting old.
I enjoy playing with the brains and 'pushing buttons' - you know that.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 12:24am

So what.... I'm not allowed to have a little fun pushing your brain and playing with your buttons???

But anyway, thanks for posting that corporate info page that backs up everything I said!!!

I appreciate that!!!!

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 2:20am

So what.... I'm not allowed to have a little fun pushing your brain and playing with your buttons???

But anyway, thanks for posting that corporate info page that backs up everything I said!!!

I appreciate that!!!!
WinkNot at all...pat yourself on the back and giggle. Spices up life a bit.

You appear confused - the corporate page basic basically backs up the fact you have some misunderstandings about 'corporate operation' and 'vendor suppliers', but that's o.k. Most everything is about QUALITY of ingredients and generally assuring the same ingredients are available, but this ain't KFC, so even though the basic recipe may be about the same, there very well can be subtle variances in the product as delivered. Like greasy balls or "funa" (f'd up tuna).

As far as 'clean' versus 'filthy' food prep areas? We discussed some posts back, but as far as what Thor mentions? I'll let him speak for himself when it comes to the cleanliness of either establishment and/or any cooking practices employed by said location.

Now we play 'you push mine and I'll push yours' and everyone gets to watch! I think we should get paypal accounts so people can pay to read what we spew because... 
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:20am

You appear confused - the corporate page basic basically backs up the fact you have some misunderstandings about 'corporate operation' and 'vendor suppliers', but that's o.k. Most everything is about QUALITY of ingredients and generally ASSURING THE SAME INGREDIENTS ARE AVAILABLE, ...

Not confused at all. Like I said, the corporate office controls and oversees the food vendors used by every franchise nationwide to help ensure that the taste and quality of the product is uniform.

So I'm happy to see that you are finally in agreement with what I was saying to begin with.

I knew that if I stuck with it long enough, I could bring you along.

...but this ain't KFC, so even though the basic recipe may be about the same, there very well can be subtle variances in the product as delivered. Like greasy balls or "funa" (f'd up tuna).

As far as 'clean' versus 'filthy' food prep areas? We discussed some posts back, but as far as what Thor mentions? I'll let him speak for himself when it comes to the cleanliness of either establishment and/or any cooking practices employed by said location.

Obviously, here and there you'll find a location that might not perform up to standards, but that is to be expected when dealing with human beings.

The Subway Thor got the greasy meatballs from, might have been a generally clean store, but whoever closed and cleaned up at night might have routinely neglected to empty the meatballs into a clean pot, and discard the old sauce, which would allow grease to build up in it. A minor neglect yes, but one that had a noticeable negative impact on one of their products. Doesn't mean the rest of the store was dirty or that their other products weren't up to standards.

Now we play 'you push mine and I'll push yours' and everyone gets to watch! I think we should get paypal accounts so people can pay to read what we spew because...

And then my poor meeeat-baaall...

Rolled (got pushed) under a buuush.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 6:53pm

You appear confused - the corporate page basic basically backs up the fact you have some misunderstandings about 'corporate operation' and 'vendor suppliers', but that's o.k. Most everything is about QUALITY of ingredients and generally ASSURING THE SAME INGREDIENTS ARE AVAILABLE, ...

Not confused at all. Like I said, the corporate office controls and oversees the food vendors used by every franchise nationwide to help ensure that the taste and quality of the product is uniform.

So I'm happy to see that you are finally in agreement with what I was saying to begin with.

I knew that if I stuck with it long enough, I could bring you along.

...but this ain't KFC, so even though the basic recipe may be about the same, there very well can be subtle variances in the product as delivered. Like greasy balls or "funa" (f'd up tuna).

Obviously, here and there you'll find a location that might not perform up to standards, but that is to be expected when dealing with human beings.

The Subway Thor got the greasy meatballs from, might have been a generally clean store, but whoever closed and cleaned up at night might have routinely neglected to empty the meatballs into a clean pot, and discard the old sauce, which would allow grease to build up in it. A minor neglect yes, but one that had a noticeable negative impact on one of their products. Doesn't mean the rest of the store was dirty or that their other products weren't up to standards.

And then my poor meeeat-baaall...

Rolled (got pushed) under a buuush.

LOLWinkOHHhhhhhhhhhNO! You're makin' me 'noivous'! (listen to the song)
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 6:36pm
Mama, was a volunteer at the 'Mile of Music' in Appleton yesterday.  I saw her for a while last night and again this morning.  She seemed OK. The heat and walking must have taken its toll.  She's sleeping like baby.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 7:15pm
The heat will sap your energy fast. It's deathly hot around here right now. Nobody is outside unless they have to be.

Yesterday we finally got a day with no rain and a nice afternoon/evening breeze. So after the sun was down far enough to throw shade across my entire yard, I got out and finally mowed the grass, which I'm sure the neighbors appreciated.

I've got some tree limbs that are brushing on my roof to trim so hopefully this evening will be a repeat of yesterday, although I think I've been hearing a bit of thunder rumbling off in the distance.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 5:16pm
I was just watching/listening to an episode of 'Without A Trace' on TV.  They played this song to end out the show. This song reminds me, and I just talked to Mama about it, of way back when we were 'dating'.  Evil Smile

I thought is was Creed, she didn't know either.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 5:49pm

I'm not a fan of Jack White.

I've only heard one song by that guy that I like.

Great video, too.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 5:44pm
Finally! My short trip into town was just that.  The bridge is back open to two way traffic.  THANK GOD!

I was hoping to trim the bushes close to the house today, the ones that are touching the siding. My bad hip joint is getting worse.  Maybe tomorrow?  Instead, I cleaned the bath tub.  Plunged the bath tub drain.  Cleaned the toilet and the vanity counter top. Cleaned the mirror. 

I know, according to PaW, I should lose my man card.  Maybe, I will quote him. Wink  I'll bet the missus would have none of that attitude!

OuchShocked
(o.k. ladies - you KNOW Paw is just 'play acting' 'let's be a chauvinist because I can't be a pirate' in this post, right?)
Seriously! Where do they find these wusses?! I want the old days back when men were men and didn't know the first thing about doing laundry because it IS one of those jobs we have our women perform along with their duties, barefoot & pregnant in the kitchen.  

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:46pm

I'm not a fan of Jack White.

WinkI'm in your camp - in fact, I never listened to 'The White Stripes'. I heard the one cut I posted - it ends there. I got a kick out of the (unofficial) video, too.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 5:52pm
I've had a pretty productive day.  I mixed up a new batch of Round-up...use at your own risk.
I mowed the lawn, sprayed the weeds by the channel, did the weed eating in the front yard.

The Cottonwood is already dropping some leaves. The wife asked about the deck by the dock about a month ago.  Yes, I told her today.  We need to stain/paint it again, but I need your help.  We have to dry it out first, even when I don't run the irrigation, a heavy dew will need to be dried off with towels.

I'll use the belt sander to rough up the surface and remove any loose paint.  It's hard work, dammit!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 9:05pm
Well I think I saw one of the surest signs of mid August today.

I went to the Dollar Tree, walked in the door and there were the Halloween decorations out already.

Like I said, one of the sure signs of August every year.

Because August means Halloween, right?

Bought a little skull globe.

The one I got has a silver skull inside.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 5:29am
Yeah, even Dollar Tree had Halloween stuff out last week.  Maybe this year I'll actually find bat confetti somewhere...   Wink
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 3:29pm
Today's hot news item is that Roundup is a possible, definitely maybe, carcinogen in huge doses! I guess I will return to the Old School tried and true weed killer. Used motor oil mixed with gasoline. You can virtually watch the weeds shrivel and turn black.Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Today's hot news item is that Roundup is a possible, definitely maybe, carcinogen in huge doses! I guess I will return to the Old School tried and true weed killer. Used motor oil mixed with gasoline. You can virtually watch the weeds shrivel and turn black.Wink
Confused  What are people doing?  Drinking the stuff?

Any pesticide can be harmful it isn't used and handled properly, it's pretty basic common sense.

If you get some on your hand...don't rub your eyes.
Avoid contact with skin and clothing, wash up after using said chemicals.
Avoid spray wind drift, do not allow pets/children in treated areas.

There are some hotter (restricted use) chemicals that require a pesticide license to even purchase or apply.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Any pesticide can be harmful it isn't used and handled properly, it's pretty basic common sense.

If you get some on your hand...don't rub your eyes.

Avoid contact with skin and clothing, wash up after using said chemicals.

Avoid spray wind drift, do not allow pets/children in treated areas.

There are some hotter (restricted use) chemicals that require a pesticide license to even purchase or apply.

Use of PPE with any kind of agricultural or industrial chemicals is a must!!!

I remember several years ago there was a powerful pesticide called Dursban which was banned. I still have some, but I'm scared to even handle the container now!!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:12pm

Yeah.  Some groundskeeper in SF just got awarded like 290 mil from Monsanto for having gotten cancer supposedly due to the use of RoundUp.

I never always get how they determine what exactly caused someone's cancer.  It's like people in NY who are now getting all sorts of cancer supposedly due to what happened on 9/11.  I mean, some people are bound to get cancer, 9/11 or not, right? 

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 6:08am
The best weed killer I found that works 100% is to pull the little f**kers up by the roots...  Wink
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yeah.  Some groundskeeper in SF just got awarded like 290 mil from Monsanto for having gotten cancer supposedly due to the use of RoundUp.

I never always get how they determine what exactly caused someone's cancer.  It's like people in NY who are now getting all sorts of cancer supposedly due to what happened on 9/11.  I mean, some people are bound to get cancer, 9/11 or not, right? 

$292.000.000 in California where anything bad that happens must be someone else's fault and which is the only state that lists Roundup as a known carcinogen.Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 3:42pm

$292.000.000 in California where anything bad that happens must be someone else's fault and which is the only state that lists Roundup as a known carcinogen.Wink

He'll never see a penny of it.

Monsanto will of course, appeal the decision and keep it in court for years. By the time a settlement is reached for a fraction of the original award, the guy will be long dead and gone.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:43pm
I've watched enough of those home renovation shows to wonder...

...just how did my bro and I survive childhood not growing up in a house with an open concept floor plan?  These yuppie couples buying these $700,000 houses and still "needing" to do $200,000 in renovations make it sound as though if they aren't able to see their kids from the kitchen, the kids will most assuredly die.  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 197>
  Share Topic