Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The woman who RUINED Children's Shows...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The woman who RUINED Children's Shows...
    Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:22am
Died Today. Peggy Charon, co-founder of Action for Children's Television passed away earlier today at the age of 86. Her group was responsible for yanking a lot of children's shows off the air because this group deemed them either "Too Violent", "No Educational Value" and/or "Overlong Commercials". It was her group that brought about those "EI" children's shows seen on TV these days.

PS Most of the shows her group had yanked off the air are now available on DVD. I've bought a lot of them for myself and given sets to some of my friends who have children or grandchildren, some of them have since told me their kids/grandkids like the show I gave them BETTER than the "EI" cartoons they used to watch. LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:45am

Seems she wanted less violent, less commercial, more educational shows for kids.  It's kind of hard to criticize her for that...'cept for the fact that the sort of shows she advocated for, sucked.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 4:03am
The FCC limits the amount of commercials that can be shown on Children's TV Shows (I believe it's 12 minutes per hour). WHY the H-E- (Double Hockey Sticks) this doesn't apply to ALL TV programmings is beyond me. Holy Hypocrisy Batman! Angry
Poiuyt Power!!!
OperatorStandingBy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OperatorStandingBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Seems she wanted less violent, less commercial, more educational shows for kids.  It's kind of hard to criticize her for that...'cept for the fact that the sort of shows she advocated for, sucked.

That's the issue for me too. A lot of today's children's programming is just fluff.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:45pm
Hmm, nice to know her name; I'd forgotten it for so long I just called her the American Mary Whitehouse.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
mechasus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 2:24am
I wouldn't say she single-handedly ruined it. Once the cable channels came up and started pandering to the lowest common denominator, just as the companies started combining, things haven't been the same.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 6:14am
Most children's shows today are direct liberal propaganda.
msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 5:37am
I remember when cartoons were, at the very least, well drawn. I've seen some now that make me wonder what matchbook art school they flunked out of.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic