Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack in the Box-Sriracha Burger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cross Traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jack in the Box-Sriracha Burger
    Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 4:08am
I've had it with the smug jack they have been trotting out for over 20 years. Now we have him trying to be Mr. Scripps Howard Spelling Bee with a construction worker.

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:14pm
I'm tired of the 'Pepper of the Day' silliness. I see a Jalapeno hanging out the side, but they call that a Sriracha (new word to learn how to spell) Burger. Flavor? Hot. Just like other peppers.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I'm tired of the 'Pepper of the Day' silliness. I see a Jalapeno hanging out the side, but they call that a Sriracha (new word to learn how to spell) Burger. Flavor? Hot. Just like other peppers.

I'm guessing they use Sriracha sauce on it, rather than actual sriracha peppers. And no, all peppers are not hot, nor do they all taste the same. Japalenos, your basic green bell peppers, and habaneros have very different tastes, as well as substantial differences in heat level. Bell peppers have basically no heat(and I'm not a huge fan of the flavor either), jalapenos are pretty mild(but I like the taste), while habaneros produce a strong heat(and also have a good flavor). At the hottest ends of the scale, when you're dealing with stuff like ghost peppers and Trinidad scorpions the immense heat does make it a bit harder to detect the individual flavors of each pepper, but even then I've been able to do so in the past.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:14pm

Nothin' like a fresh red bell pepper (much better than the green ones).  Delicious!  Doesn't even require salt.  When I cook sauce or jambalaya, I let some bell pepper cook into the sauce or rice mix, but then I add some of the fresh, crispy stuff to the finished product.

As far as hot peppers like jalapenos??  They're OK, but I don't detect much flavor.  All I notice when I'm eating them is the heat.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Nothin' like a fresh red bell pepper (much better than the green ones).  Delicious!  Doesn't even require salt.  When I cook sauce or jambalaya, I let some bell pepper cook into the sauce or rice mix, but then I add some of the fresh, crispy stuff to the finished product.

As far as hot peppers like jalapenos??  They're OK, but I don't detect much flavor.  All I notice when I'm eating them is the heat.

I barely even register any heat from jalapenos. They're a very mild pepper(and they rank low on the actual Scoville heat scale as well) and all I can say is, anyone who finds those hot must have sensitive taste buds or something.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

I'm guessing they use Sriracha sauce on it, rather than actual sriracha peppers. And no, all peppers are not hot, nor do they all taste the same. Japalenos, your basic green bell peppers, and habaneros have very different tastes, as well as substantial differences in heat level. Bell peppers have basically no heat(and I'm not a huge fan of the flavor either), jalapenos are pretty mild(but I like the taste), while habaneros produce a strong heat(and also have a good flavor). At the hottest ends of the scale, when you're dealing with stuff like ghost peppers and Trinidad scorpions the immense heat does make it a bit harder to detect the individual flavors of each pepper, but even then I've been able to do so in the past.
WinkActually, Thanks...I know this (I make salsas and hot sauces as a hobby - and I use all different kinds of pepper, depending upon what I'm trying to accomplish). My commentary is really more directed to Jack-In-The-Box and dressing up a burger, claiming one thing and seeing another (with the result being 'spicy'). If I wanted a GOOD 'peppered' burger, I'd find my way back for a wonderous What-A-Burger (Cheddar Jalapeno).
Ghost peppers are just plain HOT - youngest daughter actually got me a beer made with ghost peppers. It was almost undrinkable.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:45pm
This sriracha sauce ranks right up there in the kale and beets "ooh, I'm so new and hip" cooking style.

I saw kale "chips" in the store the other day. Probably sriracha flavored.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I barely even register any heat from jalapenos. They're a very mild pepper(and they rank low on the actual Scoville heat scale as well) and all I can say is, anyone who finds those hot must have sensitive taste buds or something.

The first time I had one, it seemed very hot to me.  Since then, not so much.  Still, I've never detected much flavor.  I wouldn't remove them from my food, I'm just not nuts about them.  They're good for a little bit of heat.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 5:32pm

WinkActually, Thanks...I know this (I make salsas and hot sauces as a hobby - and I use all different kinds of pepper, depending upon what I'm trying to accomplish). My commentary is really more directed to Jack-In-The-Box and dressing up a burger, claiming one thing and seeing another (with the result being 'spicy'). If I wanted a GOOD 'peppered' burger, I'd find my way back for a wonderous What-A-Burger (Cheddar Jalapeno).
Ghost peppers are just plain HOT - youngest daughter actually got me a beer made with ghost peppers. It was almost undrinkable.

I have a local burger place called Nicky D's that makes an awesome burger with Cajun spices and jalapenos, I go there a lot. Actually, all their burgers are awesome, but the Cajun jalapeno is my favorite one(sometimes with bacon added, sometimes not). If I don't wanna spend the time/money at Nicky D's(it's a mom & pop place, small staff, little more expensive than any of the fast food places), Whataburger is pretty much the only other place I go.

Ghost peppers are definitely hot. Flavor wise, the Trinidiad scorpion is more appealing to me. Ghost peppers have a more earthy taste, while the scorpions have a mildly citrus taste to them. Scorpions are also insanely hot, but it's a different sorta heat than the ghost pepper, it has more of a slow heat buildup until the burn finally kicks in, while the ghost pepper is hot right from the start. I'll eat ghost pepper stuff too but the scorpion is preferable to me as far as the ultra hot peppers go. I tried some jerky made with Carolina Reaper peppers(the current record holder for hottest pepper), with those, I really couldn't detect any specific pepper flavor, just the heat. It's hotter than the ghost pepper and scorpion, but at least as far as jerky goes, not as good as either. Sure wouldn't want ANY of those in a beer though...
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

This sriracha sauce ranks right up there in the kale and beets "ooh, I'm so new and hip" cooking style.

I saw kale "chips" in the store the other day. Probably sriracha flavored.

It ticks me off that this sauce grew to "hipster" status.  It has a nice, mild-spicy flavor, and I have been adding it to a lot of different types of cooking for years before it was cool (and no, I'm not trying to be hip, liking something before it was "cool" Tongue).  They are out of stock of this stuff 70% of the time I go to the store now.  I hope people don't start digging the jalepeno/habenero/vinegar combo hot sauce I found last week.  That stuff is awesome, and cheap, and I don't want the hipsters ruining that for me as well.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 11:33pm
It's amazing there's such a culture, obsession, and love of what's little more than proteins meant to act as a toxin to SAVE the planet from being eaten. XD
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 4:41am

I'm tired of the 'Pepper of the Day' silliness. I see a Jalapeno hanging out the side, but they call that a Sriracha (new word to learn how to spell)

They probably misspelled "Sirocco".  Nothin' like a dry & dusty Jack-in-the-Box Sirocco burger to make your day with...  LOL

The hottest pepper I had the misfortune to encounter was (I think) a Cubanelle.  Just a little flake of the dried skin burned my mouth (with further discomforting aftereffects for another 3 hours.)  I'm growing some now to napalm squirrels with....  Big smile
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

It's amazing there's such a culture, obsession, and love of what's little more than proteins meant to act as a toxin to SAVE the planet from being eaten. XD
LOL...but you forgot to mention we need these things to clean barnacles off the bottoms of boats, too.
madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 5:02pm
All I have to say about peppers is this: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get into a pepper eating contest (where you try to see who can eat the hottest pepper) when you are drunk. You may win the contest, but at some point the next day you WILL be sober.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 5:08pm
^Especially if you finish off the evening with some sort of dairy product - cheese/milk/ice cream
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 5:55am
I have been using sriracha for years. The giant 28oz bottle will probably last a few more. Why does everyone including Jack pronounce it searacha when it is spelled srearacha? It's like Worcestershire sauce which is apparently pronounced woorstersheer. Sorry. I don't get it.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
lancer8869 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancer8869 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 2:42am
When the guy says "SLOOO-RACHA?" it takes everything I have to not superman punch my TV into a new dimension. It grinds my gears raw.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by lancer8869 lancer8869 wrote:

it takes everything I have to not superman punch my TV into a new dimension.

Hah, that image is totally awesome. Next time I've pissed at something I may have to steal that phrase.
thedude View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 6:05am
They just had to sneak an "awesome" in there at the end. THAT'S SO f**kING ANNOYING!!!!!!

Anyone who isn't Thai or a fan of seafood probably wouldn't like real sriracha anyway. This is just another method for selling the played-out concept of "spicy and foreign" to the west. I'm actually somewhat surprised Jack in the Box hasn't tried selling curry yet.
purple rose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 8:06am
Originally posted by thedude thedude wrote:

They just had to sneak an "awesome" in there at the end. THAT'S SO f**kING ANNOYING!!!!!!

Anyone who isn't Thai or a fan of seafood probably wouldn't like real sriracha anyway. This is just another method for selling the played-out concept of "spicy and foreign" to the west. I'm actually somewhat surprised Jack in the Box hasn't tried selling curry yet.

I have to say, my husband and I love sriracha on just about everything and have been enjoying it for ages.  We each have one of these: http://sriracha2go.com  Not sure if it could help a Jack in the Box burger but it sure couldn't hurt!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic