Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Black Friday Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Black Friday Thread
    Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 4:21am
It looks like more and more stores are opening up on Thanksgiving Day itself this year. Shocked I have decided NOT to participate in these sales because they are DESTROYING one of the biggest Family Holidays of the year. I/m looking for a Job, but will REFUSE to work on Thanksgiving Day if I get a job. AFAIC the CEOs of these stores can BURN IN HCensoredLL for putting money ahead of families. Black Friday was one of my favorite festivities, but corporate greed has RUINED it. Dead
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 5:24pm

What if they gave a war Black Friday and no one showed up?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 6:04pm
I went shopping on BF once.

Got out before daylight.

Didn't buy anything.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 1:15am
There are two things we need to do about this madness. Angry

1. If you are a store employee, and you are told to work on Thanksgiving CALL IN "SICK"

2. If you are like me DO NOT PATRONIZE any store on Thanksgiving Day.

If something isn't done before long Thanksgiving will DETERIORATE until it becomes a "Banker's Holiday like Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Columbus Day and sadly, Veteran's Day. Unhappy
Poiuyt Power!!!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:10am
Some people have posted the e-mails of CEOs and Landlords of Stores and Shopping Centers in hope of flooding their e-mails with "Hate Mail" I have a better Idea! Remember the climax of Miracle on 34th Street (Original)? This is the same thing, only in reverse and get this, it's happened before! Have you ever heard of one Alan Ralsky (He was my 2002 "Butthead of the Year "winner") His livelihood was cramming people's e-mail addresses with advertisements (That's AngrySPAMAngry for all of you in Rio Linda!). He was interviewed by a Detroit Newspaper, during the interview he mentioned he had "earned" enough money to purchase a mansion in an upscale suburb north of Detroit. Some of these readers found out where this house was located and, knowing the address sent it to friends and relatives, who in turn sent it to their friends and relatives, and so on who proceeded to put Mr. Ransky's address on every (snail) mailing list they could find.. Within a few dasy, Mr. Ralsky came home to discover a US Mail Semi parked in front of his house, and Postal Workers unloading mail bag after mail bag of "third-class" (That's "Junk Mail for those of you in Rio Linda!) to his door step. And there was nothing he could do about it, because Federal Law regarding the delivery of third-class mail says just deliver the mail to the address listed, and the recipient is solely responsible for the disposal of the contents. To add insult to injury, he just couldn't place the bags at his curb for disposal, because the bags are the US Post Office, and Federal Law PROHIBITS the use of these bags except for the delivery of mail (I'm certain all of you have seen the label printed on mail bags).  In a case of poetic justice the spammer got spammed!. I suggest all of you find out the "snail mail" addresses of CEOs and Mall Landlords, then SOCK IT TOO EM!!! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:43am
Someone was talking about it on PBS Newshour earlier today.

They were saying it would likely become a week long event rather than one day & stores would close on TG for the PR value.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:03am
I don't go shopping on Black Friday. I leave that to the wild beasts.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:39am
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

I/m looking for a Job, but will REFUSE to work on Thanksgiving Day if I get a job.

Years ago I would have had a job with Target, but found out at orientation that I would have had to work on TG day.  My gut instinct (literally) told me not to take the job, which if I had, I would have missed the last Thanksgiving I had with my dad.  In retrospect, some things are more important than money...
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:45am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Someone was talking about it on PBS Newshour earlier today.

They were saying it would likely become a week long event rather than one day & stores would close on TG for the PR value.

That would be great, but we need to shun those stores that are forcing employees to work (on a day they USED to get off), so some money-hungry CEO and/or Mall Landlord can squeeze out an additional megabuck for their portfolios. For the last few years members of the far left (Whom I despise) have been trying to dismantle Christ by declaring certain traditions to be "Politically Incorrect". Now the far right (whom I also despise) are now dismantling Thanksgiving. I'm beginning when one thing or another, (Possibly a Court Decision favoring one side or another) that will ignite a "Second American Revolution". When this happens I hope I don't live at least 50 miles of a major metropolis, because all hell is going to cut loose.

PS I remember a tale that every child in grade school has been told, of an incident thats writtin in their US History Class, which I will tell in modern slang.  It tells about a "Flash Mob", who illegally trespessed aboard a trio of ships anchored in the harbor of an eastern city. Once this mob was aboard, they proceed to "Trash" the ships cargo and toss the crates overboard. Violent? Yes, but it was one of a series of events that led to what is called "The Shot Heard Around The World". It's happened once, and I know it will happen again.
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 7:53pm

ConfusedSilly me.

I thought this LAST friday was supposed to be 'Black Friday', if the grand jury would have gotten off their ass, grown some nads, and declared, "...ANYONE would have been right to shoot the lil'Ferguson punk in 'da face!"
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 12:44am
Because Macy's has caved in to Evil Smilecorporate greedEvil Smile I will NOT watch Miracle On 34th Street this Holiday Season. Angry
Poiuyt Power!!!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 3:44am
Oh jeez, that's like a hundred year old movie.  Pretty sure Macy's isn't getting a dime from you for watching it.  If you have to boycott a Macy's anything, it should be the day-before-Black-Friday parade.  Better yet, go see it in person and try to moon the cameras in protest...  LOL
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 9:58pm
Wal-Mart still hasn't paid fine for employee's death from black Friday 6 years ago:

Just what we would expect from Wal-Mart and hey, the Labor Dept. has a hand in this, too, not to mention that W-M was only fined $7000.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/25/walmart-black-friday-worker_n_6213540.html?utm_hp_ref=business
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:14pm
I won't be going anywhere on Thanksgiving day or black Friday, I work both those nights though(I work at a hotel, we can't "close" for holidays)
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:25pm
There's only one Black Friday for me (it's always been among my favorite Megadeth songs)

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:36pm

I just read the story behind that song, insanity.  Interesting.

There's also Black Friday by Steely Dan.

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 1:38am
I am not patronizing any stores opening up Thanksgiving night either. Which is WAY TOO MANY nowadays! I remember the days when doors opened at ALL stores around 6-7AM on Black Friday. That was just 10-15 years ago. 
I will (HOPEFULLY) patronize "Small Business Saturday" stores here. There's a few antique stores that are participating. Good for them! Hopefully they have some "Small Business" sales.

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 6:08pm

'Black Friday' has never been a shopping day for me...but it has been the busiest day of the year for MANY years, for my team due to business transaction volumes and the impact on large-scale computing environments.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 2:23am
Apparently opening stores on Thanksgiving didn't work out at all, most retailers reported a DROP in sales between 0.5 to 11% for this year's Thanksgiving weekend compared to last year. IMO it serves them right! Extended Hours, resulting in "Butting in" to the Holiday itself did not sway those who'd rather spend Thanksgiving with Family and Friends around the dinner table than at the shopping center. I've changed my mind on watching Miracle on 34th Street. I'm giving it what I call "The Polar Express" Treatment. I'm letting it slide, but it WILL BE ON MY "CHECK TWICE" LIST for 2015. Nuke
Poiuyt Power!!!
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 2:37am
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Apparently opening stores on Thanksgiving didn't work out at all, most retailers reported a DROP in sales between 0.5 to 11% for this year's Thanksgiving weekend compared to last year. IMO it serves them right! Extended Hours, resulting in "Butting in" to the Holiday itself did not sway those who'd rather spend Thanksgiving with Family and Friends around the dinner table than at the shopping center. I've changed my mind on watching Miracle on 34th Street. I'm giving it what I call "The Polar Express" Treatment. I'm letting it slide, but it WILL BE ON MY "CHECK TWICE" LIST for 2015. Nuke
I was thrilled to hear this too!  A local talk show host who is also in business and knows business management, said he was at the biggest mall here on Friday at noon and the place wasn't even full.  The drop in sales from last year shows that people are spreading out their spending throughout the month, and a lot of online shopping is taking place on Cyber Monday.  Black Friday isn't the big deal it once was because there are bargains to be had all month long.  I hope the stores opening on Thanksgiving will die out, especially when they see the sales receipts versus the employees payroll for the day, and hear the backlash from shoppers and employees.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 3:51am
Well, I have to admit I went shopping on BF.  Went to the last K-Mart in the area.  It's closing and everything is on "clearance" (you know, where they raise the prices on everything and then "discount" it.)  Bought a fairish pair of shoes for $11 to use for yard work.  There were also steel-toed boots that I wanted, but there was only one of them in the box on the shelf (who takes only one freakin' shoe?)  It fit really well, so I went back the next day to try and find the other one.  Probably spent half an hour looking for it & finally asked an employee stocking shoes if it might be in the back.  She looked at the shoe, went over to a pile of other shoes that people had tried on (and didn't bother putting back) and pulled out the "missing" one.  I thought that was funny.  I also "rescued" a plant from the garden shop.  Going to miss that place....
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 5:05am
^I haven't seen that happen as much as it supposedly does (the price hike leading preceding a discount)

At least, not in the toy department and a few others. With LEGO, at least, I know the MSRP and the official pricing guideline, so if I do see a price that's too high I'll be the asshole who calls a manager and talks my way into a proper discount.

Works very good, I actually got about 20 sets for less than a dollar each after pointing out that they were all 3 years old and SEVEN "seasons" old (LEGO and most toy companies release in bi-yearly seasons, so each year has two seasons in it) and that keeping these on their shelves was a bad thing as it prevented the shipping HQ from sending in newer sets.

Mind you, I get why they do it with Video Game consoles, because I actually know that shops (KMart is a good case) pay a VERY high price for them, and the mark-up they put on to reach MSRP is usually $20 (So if an Xbox One selling for 499, the store bought it from the manufacturer for $479).

So technically, with the manufacturer-mandated sale price of $329 for the Xbox One, most of the stores are hemorrhaging money, on the simple hope of making the money back in game sales (Which have a very high mark-up)

If you ever see an RMA free in a store (the scanner thingie employees use), see if it's logged in and scan something. THey'll tell you the retail price (and any sale their might be on it) and the paid-to-vendor price. Knowing where the mark-up ends actually is a very good tool to use to barter. No company will discount something in a way that loses them money if you ask, but you can ask for $15 off, and they'll still make a $5 profit.

The benefits of having worked in retail.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic