Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lincoln--M. McConaughey-video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lincoln--M. McConaughey-video
    Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 4:53am
I keep getting an ad with him facing down a bull, but the one I see is completely at night with M.C. just driving and mumbling. What gets me is that he does mumble, and exact opposite of what they used to do, he is talking in a lower voice than the things I am watching on TV that the ad comes on during. I guess he is just supposed to look cool, but I kind of think he looks like his wax statue from Madam Tussaud's. Last celebrity I remember Cadillac(?) using was John Slattery and he
WAS cool.

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 7:50am
Isn't the commercial for Lincoln?! Anyway, I can't stand MMcC, and I can't understand why the car company thinks that his mumbling in this commercial is going to help their sales.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:20am
It is a Lincoln but how would you know unless one watches the ad till the end.
All the drama and very little info on the actual product.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

I keep getting an ad with him facing down a bull, but the one I see is completely at night with M.C. just driving and mumbling. What gets me is that he does mumble, and exact opposite of what they used to do, he is talking in a lower voice than the things I am watching on TV that the ad comes on during. I guess he is just supposed to look cool, but I kind of think he looks like his wax statue from Madam Tussaud's. Last celebrity I remember Cadillac using was John Slattery and he
WAS cool.

I started noticing a few years ago that in a lot of TV shows, the characters speak to each other in a very low, cool, up-close-and-personal way---even when it's not necessary.  This forces me to turn up the volume or risk missing some dialogue if so much as a car drives by.  I guess this style just makes it all seem really dramatic, even if all the characters are talking about is what to have for dinner.

They even do this in my current favorite show, The Walking Dead.  Here's what I mean (in this case, they're actually talking about what they're having for dinner):

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:46pm
That was weird, I knew it was Lincoln but when I mistakenly googled "Cadillac Matthew Mc" all of the hits came right up with the youtube's I used so I never realized I had googled the wrong car company.

I fixed the topic subject so if that the few other people this ad bugs will know what I am talking about.

I also think that Matthew looks like maybe he had been smoking the high quality pot he had in Dazed and Confused, and basically his entire life That's why he is soooooooooo laid back.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:16am
And the music is just so damned sad!  CryCryCry   
When I first heard the ad from the next room, I thought we were being treated to another ASPCA or starving-child heart-breaking infomercial, but no.  We got this instead!  I am still wondering what it means.     Tragic chords, wistful mumbling, aimless driving at night...how is this supposed to make us want to buy that car? 
CapeCat
Bryan View Drop Down
Spammer to be deleted
Spammer to be deleted

Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:36am
About the child starved commercial, I remember one airing about 13 years ago where some adult was walking with a barefoot child through what looked like a third world country. He said "She is so hungry and poor. She cannot even afford a pair of shoes. Send your donations to get her food and shoes." I remember thinking how irresponsible he was being to let her walk around barefoot and starving and not getting her any food or shoes himself. Lol.
MrPink View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:21pm
jim carrey ftw.....

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:33pm
^^LOLLOL
Well done!!!
lancer8869 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancer8869 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

I keep getting an ad with him facing down a bull, but the one I see is completely at night with M.C. just driving and mumbling. What gets me is that he does mumble, and exact opposite of what they used to do, he is talking in a lower voice than the things I am watching on TV that the ad comes on during. I guess he is just supposed to look cool, but I kind of think he looks like his wax statue from Madam Tussaud's. Last celebrity I remember Cadillac(?) using was John Slattery and he
WAS cool.

I still can't get over the fact, almost three years later, that we have the same last name and my family is from WV. There's gotta be a relation somewhere.

Back on topic, I kind of like MmC, especially in Tropic Thunder, and I vastly prefer this commercial to the loud, colorful obnoxious ones. I watch a lot of hockey, which requires me to keep the volume turned up, and it's nice when this commercial is the first one in each commercial breaks so that I have a chance to turn the volume down instead of going insta-deaf from a local car dealership commercial.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic