Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decibel levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decibel levels
    Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 9:32pm
There should be a standard decibel level. I HATE it when I go from one channel, where I've had to raise the volume, to another channel that is then BLARING at me. I have to DIVE for the TV or remote (whichever is closer at that moment), usually after yelling "JEEEEBUS" or "HOLY SH*T!"
Sponsored Links

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 5:36am
That IS annoying.  The FCC should regulate that, but I doubt that they will.
Back from the dead...
a diferent Mark View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a diferent Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 5:45am
I think it's something to do with the audio signal compression. 
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 12:54pm
It's most notable when you go from cable/satellite to antenna (we actually get our local high def channels over the air)

but I even notice it flipping from one channel to the next on live TV, via satellite box.

Afternoon soaps seem to be the worst offenders.  Uh oh, did I just air my dirty laundry?
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 7:57pm
Oh yes, there IS a standard decibel level.
Audio engineers are clever folk.
See, most programming only hits the maximum level only once in a while -
because things like dialogue are dynamic - sometimes loud, sometimes quiet.
Commercials are mixed so that THE ENTIRE COMMERCIAL is boosted to the max.
Compression, like "a different Mark" said.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 9:20pm
Yeah, but I'm not talking about the commercials; I'm talking about the programming. For instance, if I go from, say, my local ABC affiliate to TNT to watch Law & Order, I will have to up the volume quite a bit in order to hear the dialog.  But when I switch back (having forgotten), it blows out my eardrums. 

Or is it the same thing?
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 9:54pm
We get local channel cable feeds from 2 different cities: Cincinnati and Dayton.  The local channels from Cincy are at a normal level, but if you switch to a Dayton channel, you can barely hear it.  Probably a TW thing. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 10:04pm
If I didn't want to continually replace 'boob tubes', I'd say WildS. has found a pretty decent remote - addresses the problem in a huury.
Other than than, changing channels doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as going from show to commercial.... 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

If I didn't want to continually replace 'boob tubes', I'd say WildS. has found a pretty decent remote - addresses the problem in a huury.
Other than than, changing channels doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as going from show to commercial.... 

Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile YA DAMN SKIPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, being a musician who has had hands on experience running a sound board, it's has everything to do with the actual engineer or technican running the sound system at the time the "channel's" programming is being broadcast. You could get rid of every studio in the world except for one, and make all Movies, TV shows, Commercials and what not from it, making sure you set every level the same, you still would not solve the problem. Because when our Imaginary studio dispenses it's work to the various stations for broadcast, the person running the piece on the air can turn the volume up or down to varying levels as he wishes. Most systems have a limiter to prevent them from being too loud when they are sent out, but it rarely does anything for sound that is too low.

Now, with that said, we do not have a magic studio. With computer video software being easier to get these days than a two dollar crack WHORE, you have  many different people aspiring to be film makers. There are so many engineers( so-called and legit) out there that's mind boggling!!! Here's the deal and I'm sure Nate can back me up on this. It's all in how you record sound, what kind of processors if any you run them through, and how you mix it down that determines how loud you can run it. I have recorded a track before and been so happy with the way it sounded through my headphones, and I FORGOT to listen to the playback over the studio Monitors!! LOL I have mis leveled the bass line and it mushed and smeared at higher volumes. So it has a lot to do with who recorded it and how!! What type of mics did they use. How was it mixed down? How was it presented to the vendor, and what kind of drugs is the guy behind the broadcast console on when the program is running!! LOL

I hear you big time though!! I wish there was a way to fix it, cause my wife  yells at me when I change channels sometimes!! LOL Lately she's been turning in a helluva lot earlier than me, so I mute when I change channels. I love my new TV amplifier. You can mute and Unmute at the same levels, or you can mute, then use the UP volume button to bump up the sound gradually from dead quite! HEE HEE keeps me from getting a bitchin if I remember to use it!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic