Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I remember when...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't know what's so appealing about constantly being "connected" and reachable.  
I used to be able to visit with people and have conversations without being constantly interrupted by someone's ringtone.

Same here.

Who wants to gab about nothing all day? Seems like people would run out of things to talk about.

Having a cell phone just makes you available to people you'd probably rather avoid to begin with.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:11pm

Judging by the side of the conversation I'm hearing, "nothing" is exactly what they're talking about.  The most asinine is when they're going to be visiting the person, and they call to let the person know they're "almost there".  Why don't they just arrive as expected, park, and then knock on the door?

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:18pm
I have an iphone, but rarely talk on it.  I use it for email, research, texting, and many other apps.

When I'm driving and see every other driver talking on the phone, I always wonder what in the hell do they have to talk about.  
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I remember when the was no such thing as a iPhone or smart phones!

Ad, growing up, we had one phone on the wall in the kitchen.  It had a rotary dial, and I would occasionally find my granny listening in on the party line.  We had 5 numbers to dial.  The prefix was 2 letters that you didn't need to dial.

How did we ever survive?  LOL

We lived in the dark ages... well... the dimly lit dark ages.  LOL

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:16am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I remember when the was no such thing as a iPhone or smart phones!

Ad, growing up, we had one phone on the wall in the kitchen.  It had a rotary dial, and I would occasionally find my granny listening in on the party line.  We had 5 numbers to dial.  The prefix was 2 letters that you didn't need to dial.

How did we ever survive?  LOL

We lived in the dark ages... well... the dimly lit dark ages.  LOL

Remember when there was one telephone in the house, and whenever it rang, you'd do anything to get to it to answer it?  (No answering machines.)  Caller ID back then was a predetermined time to call and you'll know it's me, or call, let the phone ring once or twice, hang up, then call again.  LOL  Or calling someone collect and asking for yourself so they'd know you got home OK without having to pay for the call?

I wish we could go back to not being expected to be on call 24/7/365 for everyone.

And ... no telemarketers?  Robocallers?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:19am

I have an iphone, but rarely talk on it.  I use it for email, research, texting, and many other apps.

When I'm driving and see every other driver talking on the phone, I always wonder what in the hell do they have to talk about.  

I now have Bluetooth installed on the stereos of both of my vehicles.
I admit that I like using them when I'm going to meet my wife someplace, as she doesn't drive, so we have to work out where we are going to meet.

Then I don't mind using them on the highway either.  Relieves boredom.
For me though, driving always takes first precedence. 
I'll lose the conversation in a heartbeat if something on the road is more pressing.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:24am

For a lot less than what you're paying in monthly charges for that iPhone, you could've just bought a nice tablet & done all the same things.

I even have an app that let's me use mine as a wi-fi phone.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:41am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Remember when there was one telephone in the house, and whenever it rang, you'd do anything to get to it to answer it?  (No answering machines.)  Caller ID back then was a predetermined time to call and you'll know it's me, or call, let the phone ring once or twice, hang up, then call again.  LOL  Or calling someone collect and asking for yourself so they'd know you got home OK without having to pay for the call?

I wish we could go back to not being expected to be on call 24/7/365 for everyone.

And ... no telemarketers?  Robocallers?

I remember doing all that.  It seemed so "outlaw", like we were really getting over on the phone company.

I remember answering the phone, finding out it was a relative who lived out-of-state or even just in another area code, and then yelling "LONG DISTANCE!!" to my mother or father.  That would prompt them to run to the phone so as not to waste the caller's money.  And it wasn't like the caller was calling from 3,000 miles away.  It could've just been 50 miles away.  LOL

And then there was my mother admonishing us to not bother her because "I'm on long distance".

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:45am
Jimbo, 

I'm on a family plan with my wife and daughter, so the cost isn't bad.  I also really like putting it in my back pocket.  My wife has an iPad and it is nothing more than a big iPhone.  I can do everything on my phone that she can do on the tablet.  

When I'm home, I use my laptop.  
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:54am

I remember doing all that.  It seemed so "outlaw", like we were really getting over on the phone company.

I remember answering the phone, finding out it was a relative who lived out-of-state or even just in another area code, and then yelling "LONG DISTANCE!!" to my mother or father.  That would prompt them to run to the phone so as not to waste the caller's money.  And it wasn't like the caller was calling from 3,000 miles away.  It could've just been 50 miles away.  LOL

And then there was my mother admonishing us to not bother her because "I'm on long distance".

And then she started singing....

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 2:01am

Yep.  Mom was a big prog-rock fan.  It was nice having her out of her Grateful Dead stage, and keeping her blouse on again at concerts.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 2:04am
Growing up, we lived about 20 miles from Cincinnati, but if you wanted to call someone, it was "long distance"....a huge no-no.   That was changed to allow people to get a "Cincinnati phone number for a little more per month.  Now it's all the same within the same area  code.

However, I met a girl that moved to Atlanta and I had an agreement with my grandmother that I would pay all of the cost of the long distance calls to her....gee, I hardly made any money that summer after I paid her for the calls.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 2:57am
I remember when, children were not allowed to touch technology.

We had the one rotary phone on the wall and we weren't to touch it.

My dad, an accountant, had a $100 desk top calculator, the going rate in the 1970's about the average person's weeks pay, we weren't allowed to touch it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 3:06am

Yeah, I wasn't allowed to make phone calls until maybe the 6th grade.  And even then, they had to be schoolwork-related.

thedude View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 4:41am

Yeah, I wasn't allowed to make phone calls until maybe the 6th grade.  And even then, they had to be schoolwork-related.

Same here. Simpler times for sure.

Also, sorry to play devil's advocate, but this can still be enforced. Most carriers offer free call/text blocking when you tell them you're getting the phone for your child. They can't reach numbers not in the family plan i.e. only mom/dad/siblings. This is not a setting on the phone, but something they do on their end, so you can do this to grandma's flip phone also! LOL

Now, as far as apps go, Android is very customizable if you know a little bit about computers. Wink
Basically you're gonna uninstall google play, disable installing from APK files, and put a password on superuser privileges and the root account. It takes no more than 15 minutes if you know what you're doing. Do it before you put it back in the box and wrap it as a birthday present. If they need a few apps down the road (unlikely), you can log in and install them yourself over ADB. The tools for being a good parent are there, but yeah it's not as simple as it used to be. Big smile I don't have kids myself, but I did this for my niece's phone about 6 months ago. No problems since.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 2:20pm
I remember when, if listening to the radio in the car and you went under a bridge or through a tunnel, the radio would get silent.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 2:29pm
I remember our old country home
Clean fresh air and the flowers growing
In the fields, along the path, beside our swimming hole

Momma hollering through the screen
Would you kids like some homemade ice cream?
That was such a simpler time and place
Blue Bell tastes just like the good old days

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I remember when, if listening to the radio in the car and you went under a bridge or through a tunnel, the radio would get silent.
AM radio, storms made a lot of static also. Florescent lights made it impossible.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 3:04pm
I remember chrome bumpers.

C'mon, man!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

We have come full circle. Satellite radio does the same thing.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Was that an ad? LOL

Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 6:23am

Was that an ad? LOL

I've heard that one, isn't it the Statler Brothers that do it?
The one I remember as a kid was done by radio host Ludlow Porch for Mayfield ice cream.
His tag line was "It's the best there is, and if it wasn't I just wouldn't tell you it was" in that slow deep southern drawl of his.
Made you want to run out in the middle of winter and buy some.
Of course in the winter it's still 75 degrees down here
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Neil R Neil R wrote:

Was that an ad? LOL

I've heard that one, isn't it the Statler Brothers that do it?
The one I remember as a kid was done by radio host Ludlow Porch for Mayfield ice cream.
His tag line was "It's the best there is, and if it wasn't I just wouldn't tell you it was" in that slow deep southern drawl of his.
Made you want to run out in the middle of winter and buy some.
Of course in the winter it's still 75 degrees down here

Here's the "long" (1 minute) version...

C'mon, man!
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 6:47am
I remember when...

- cereals used to have actual toys and prizes inside them, not this "go online and put in this code" crap

- people used to have actual conversations with each other when they went out; nowadays, everyone has their faces glued to their smartphones. Speaking of which...

- remember when people only used their phones for making calls? I do.

- you could walk down the street here in NYC without worrying about being shot

- Saturday mornings meant six hours of cartoons, sugar cereal and lots of fun

- children actually had manners and respected their elders

- music was made by actual musicians, not this autotune and teeny-bopper crap

- you could celebrate Christmas without having to feel guilty about it; you could say Merry Christmas and no one would bat an eye

- children used to play outside with their friends until the sun went down

- TV was worth watching
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 1:11pm
I remember when...

Your TV Viewing for the evening was shot because the Presedent was making a speech. After that some lame "special" pre-empted a show you wanted to watch.Thumbs Down

With nothing to watch on TV you set up your super-8 projector and watched home movies instead. Wink

The next worst thing was finding out two shows you looked forward to watch were scheduled AT THE SAME TIME. Ouch

The entire Saturday Morning schedule was off because of a NASA Moon Shot (That's ok. I LOVED watching these). Cool

Cable TV only cost $28.00 a month (With HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and The Movie Channel included). Better yet, they had shows that were worth watching! Big smile

A commercial for "Woman's Personal Products" consisted of Deodorizer Spray, Bras and Girdles). Embarrassed

Commercials for pills that dealt with "Bodily Functions" were ads for Alka-Seltzer, Tums, Pepto Bismal, Kaopectate, Milk of Magnesia and Ex-Lax. Shocked

Political Commercials depicted the virtues of the candidate, WITHOUT "Attacking" his or her opponent, claiming he or she was associated with the antichrist. Angry

Admission to Walt Disney World was a wallet-busting $12.00. LOL

While riding a Twin-Tracked Roller Coaster (Kennywood's Racer, King's Island's Racer, Kings Dominion's Rebel Yell, Carowind's Thunder Road, Cedar Point's Gemini, Blackpool's Grand National among others), as both trains climbed the lift hill riders in each train shouted "Tastes Great!", Less Filling!" Clown

Sneaking out of the motel I was staying in at Key West so I could see the Southern Cross and Alpha Centuri. Geek (Returing to the motel I saw two police cars, lights flashing away because my parents called the police when they discovered my bed was empty. (They were not "Astronomically Inclined"). Fortunately one of the Cops was, and he explained to my folks that Key West is the ONLY spot in the continental US where you could see these. I was on "KP" for the rest of the trip. (KP was being given some money, then having to WALK to a Grocery or Convenience Store to fetch something required for a meal).

Poiuyt Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic