Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U S Army- Outstanding! (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U S Army- Outstanding! (video)
    Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:37pm
I have nothing but respect, for any who are, or have served in the armed forces of these great united states. 
In a time when it's difficult for veterans to find necessary healthcare, I'm not sure how motivated todays young people are to join up.
I may be at the mercy of all these great government agencies, but I sure as f**k can rant on this f**king commercial.
Back up sarge, I'm a civilian. If you approach me in that manner you will get a knee to the nuts.
Outstanding!

Sponsored Links

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I have nothing but respect, for any who are, or have served in the armed forces of these great united states. 
In a time when it's difficult for veterans to find necessary healthcare, I'm not sure how motivated todays young people are to join up.

As a retiree since 2013 I would have to agree on that point. I contacted the VA about my medical problems and it took them 2 weeks to CALL ME BACK to set up an appointment. By that time I hade just gone to a civilian doctor. My neighbor retired before I did and he's still fighting for his disability pay.

Quote I may be at the mercy of all these great government agencies, but I sure as f**k can rant on this f**king commercial.
Back up sarge, I'm a civilian. If you approach me in that manner you will get a knee to the nuts.
Outstanding!

That commercial is suppoed to be basic training. They will get in your face. Drill Sergeants are trained to do that. In my opinion Basic Combat Training is sissified now. When I went they could damn near torture you. Keep in mind, theres never just ONE drill there. There are always a few others around in less someone decides to go Billy Badass. So your knee to the nuts would most likely end up with six drill sergreants feeding you yours.

Also Drills act like that for training. Outside of that, they're pretty normal guys and girls. I used to go out drinking with my former drill sergeant years after basic training and he'd laugh about it. Also, the commercial does at least bring up a good point. When I was a recruiter I'd tell applicants about my real job in the army which, as the kid says in the ad, was graphic artist.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things about the army that I couldn't stand, and it changed a lot while I was in, but this isn't one of them. They get in your face in BCT to see who can take the heat and who can't. Trust me, half of the people you go to BCT with won't make it through. I'm sure SGT Rock or others can attest to that.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:23pm
I respect our military - they've served our country and helped in all the wars. But I wouldn't pay money to go into the military. Why would I want to die at the age of 26 from an IED - when I have a WAY longer shelf life to enjoy? I could be living until 90 or 100 and hanging out with my grandkids, my long-married wife, all of my family, other friends, etc. And I'd be away for months at a time from my family.
Plus, I would hate the basic training, drill sergeants getting in my face, spitting at me, screaming at me and telling me how horrible I am. Wouldn't take the risk. 

Finally, a lot of the teenagers who want to get into the military don't do well in the rest of their lives. Many of them fail classes in school and are mean to others. 
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

I respect our military - they've served our country and helped in all the wars. But I wouldn't pay money to go into the military. Why would I want to die at the age of 26 from an IED - when I have a WAY longer shelf life to enjoy? I could be living until 90 or 100 and hanging out with my grandkids, my long-married wife, all of my family, other friends, etc. And I'd be away for months at a time from my family.
Plus, I would hate the basic training, drill sergeants getting in my face, spitting at me, screaming at me and telling me how horrible I am. Wouldn't take the risk. 

Finally, a lot of the teenagers who want to get into the military don't do well in the rest of their lives. Many of them fail classes in school and are mean to others. 

We do it because it's the price of freedom. To those of us who have served, freedom is PRECIOUS. It comes at a price. I can't speak for other vets, but watching it being eroded away makes me ill.

Besides, Bebo... you aren't guaranteed tomorrow. You could die in your sleep tonight. Or you could be like the 96-year-old man who frequents my gym... he's a veteran of WWII, Korea, and Nam.... and HE'S STILL HERE.
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 11:34pm
I'm not a confrontational guy and don't like yelling or screaming so I definatly wouldn't do too well in basic training with these guys all up in my face  LOL

I have no shame admitting that
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 6:16am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

As a retiree since 2013 I would have to agree on that point. I contacted the VA about my medical problems and it took them 2 weeks to CALL ME BACK to set up an appointment. By that time I hade just gone to a civilian doctor. My neighbor retired before I did and he's still fighting for his disability pay.

Quote I may be at the mercy of all these great government agencies, but I sure as f**k can rant on this f**king commercial.
Outstanding!

That commercial is suppoed to be basic training. They will get in your face. Drill Sergeants are trained to do that. In my opinion Basic Combat Training is sissified now. When I went they could damn near torture you. Keep in mind, theres never just ONE drill there. There are always a few others around in less someone decides to go Billy Badass. So your knee to the nuts would most likely end up with six drill sergreants feeding you yours.

Also Drills act like that for training. Outside of that, they're pretty normal guys and girls. I used to go out drinking with my former drill sergeant years after basic training and he'd laugh about it. Also, the commercial does at least bring up a good point. When I was a recruiter I'd tell applicants about my real job in the army which, as the kid says in the ad, was graphic artist.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things about the army that I couldn't stand, and it changed a lot while I was in, but this isn't one of them. They get in your face in BCT to see who can take the heat and who can't. Trust me, half of the people you go to BCT with won't make it through. I'm sure SGT Rock or others can attest to that.

I hear you "D". I did Basic Combat Training in 1978. It was somewhat toned down as Viet Nam was history. Although I was almost 26 years old I actually had a pretty good time because of the physical and mental challenge. My 3 Drill Sergeants were Viet Nam Veteran Airborne Rangers. They were not in your face individuals. They did not have to be. They had their credentials. One day a tough guy Louisiana oil drilling redneck took offense to a Drill Sergeant's instructions and took a swing at him. In less than a second he was on the ground with a boot on his throat! After that he was a model trainee. I know what you mean about the changes in the Army. Over the years they kept sucking and sucking and sucking all of the fun out of it. A bit of humor at the end of my BCT. We were sitting on bleachers with the first sergeant stating what our Military Occupational Specialty MOS would be. When he came to me he said "that's military intelligence. Are you some kind of spook"? I replied. "If I told you I would have to kill you." That was the only time I saw him chuckle.

EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Sandra View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 1:42pm
About Veterans, I spoke with 2 different Veterans. The older Veteran around his '60s was an angry, bitter, crotchety man who ranted and raved about how the Government gave him no respect for protecting the country and treated him like trash. The other Veteran, in his 50's was actually sweet, friendly, nice guy. Different Wars make different Veteran attitudes.
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 2:59am

You'll have to cite that. I can agree on it to a point. They LOWERED the standards between 2001 and 2005 and even then when I was recruiting I told the powers that be we were going to pay for it. We did, and that is part of why in recent years they've been kicking people out left and right. (trust me, I may have been in retirement phase, but I saw a lot of people get cut)

Here's why...they didn't make the standard in the first place. The last person I put in the army as a recruiter FAILED the Asvab by army standards, but they needed the bodies. Believe me, I am as disgusted by that as you are, but remember, the Army itself doesn't make those choices without government oversight.

They don't expect those "low expectations" applicants to last too long, so in the long run the government doesn't lose a lot. But if you look beyond the view you expressed about soldiers there are a lot of very smart =, dedicated and brilliant men and women. I stayed in for personal reasons....my immediate family had died, had no reason to go home. I enjoyed seeing the world and without a family to go home too, my friends in the military became my family. I took to long saying it, but don't throw all military guys and gals into the stereotype you mentioned. Believe me, it is far different.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 3:47am

DisapprovePathetic.
I almost don't know what to say to you, other than I hope you have someone who wants to carry you on their back for the rest of your life.
Sure, living a soldier's life isn't free, but all have to be ready and have the spine to stand up, stand in, and knowing when to do it without being asked.
I grew up in it, but was turned back, when I volunteered. My father was a 'lifer', my oldest son spent too long in AfgyLand for the likes of those that will not - and he's now 'Rambo paying the price'. The VA isn't worth a damn and Prez Bling Obama isn't big enough to not only admit there is a problem, but raise a hand for those that served.
I really hope you are enjoying your life supported by the sacrafices of others, and, well, guess I'm sorry you can't handle a little 'in your face' discipline.
Considering what you said, you don't respect the military.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 4:38am
^^^^^

Thanks, PaWolf. From this ole Navy lifer.
thedude View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 8:20am
Well, if world war 3 ever happens, I don't think dodging the draft is even possible. I mean the world basically stops to fight a war. Where are you running to? It's open season on everyone who hasn't been killed by the nukes. Nuke
ClearedHot28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClearedHot28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 2:14am

I have been reading the forum for about a year now but I had to register to respond to this.  My background is I am a Marketing Major who joined the Marines in 2002 and became a Naval Aviator who flew CH-46E helicopters on two deployments and did one deployment as a Forward Air Controller (FAC) in Afghanistan during the 2010-2011 surge.  A FAC's job is to call in close air support of the infantry.  I patrolled, got into fire fights, had a IED blow up 10 ft from me and was slightly wounded, and spent 7 months in a crap hole of a country so you didn't have to.  During that deployment the Battalion I was in lost 15 Marines and had over a hundred wounded.  I personally called in 35 helicopter medevacs for wounded Marines. 

None of the Marines who died or were wounded wanted to get that way, I surely didn't.  They did because they believed in this country and fought so your wimpy ass didn't have to.  I had a Marine die on me while the medvac helicopter was on short final after he stepped on an IED.  He was 19 and was an immigrant from Burma who joined the Marines because he loved the freedom his new country gave him. 

You Mr crainbebo are a wimp.  You may not be willing to give your life for your country or others, but I was and many more people are.  You know the funny thing is we are happy to do so even if you aren't.  That's what makes America great.  Next time just say thanks instead of saying your too much of a wimp to risk your life.  When you say what you said it pisses us veterans off because it implies what we have done isn't worth the risk. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 3:07am

Not sure why so much vitriol is being directed at Crainbebo.  I don't see that he was being disrespectful or anything.  

Some people are cut out for the military, some aren't.  I don't think I am, either.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClearedHot28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 3:14am
Not everyone is meant to be in the military.  The attitude Crainbebo came off with was that he is above risking his life for others, and that those risking their life in the military are stupid for doing so.  You think I enjoyed spending almost 3 years of my life deployed or away from my family training to deploy?  If they would have paid me half as much as they did I still would have done what I did because I believe in this country and owe it a debt. 

Unless you have been in combat you wouldn't understand insults like that even if they were not intended as insults.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClearedHot28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 5:13am

After thinking a little bit about your response and saying you respect the military but that many fail classes and are mean to others you don't respect the military.  Einstein failed classes and didn't do well in school, was he a failure?  Some of the folks in the military don't do well after the military but many others suck at life after high school. 

I'll take someone who risks their life for others they don't even know than some idiot who is selfish and doesn't want to risk their life any day of the week.  After thinking about it you are the definition of a wimp.  I hope you don't pass too many of your genes onto others.

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 5:17am
Maybe I should have toned down my comments. But still, I'm not really fit for the military. And it all starts with training. All those screaming drill sergeants would drive me nuts! Yes, it's great to be a member of our country and fight, and maybe save lives, but some people actually do want to live until they are seniors. I respect those that die for our freedom, but I'd like to continue ticking for a few more decades at least...
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
BowlingGeek View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BowlingGeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 5:26am
Originally posted by ClearedHot28 ClearedHot28 wrote:

Einstein failed classes and didn't do well in school, was he a failure? 

Actually this isn't true, Einstein did pretty good in school especially in math and science 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClearedHot28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 5:47am

Maybe I should have toned down my comments. But still, I'm not really fit for the military. And it all starts with training. All those screaming drill sergeants would drive me nuts! Yes, it's great to be a member of our country and fight, and maybe save lives, but some people actually do want to live until they are seniors. I respect those that die for our freedom, but I'd like to continue ticking for a few more decades at least...

You just don't get it.  I haven't met a service member yet who didn't want to live until they were old.  You say you respect our service members but insult them in the same sentence by saying they don't do well in high school and pick on people.  That's an insult, and you don't even understand that you insulted those who wear the uniform.

You may not be material for the military and that's fine, just don't slight the military members who decide to do so.  I want to live until I want to but I took risks so you don't have to.  I don't want thanks, but I will not stand for insults even if you don't understand you are being insulting. 
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:43am
^ ClearedHot28:  Thank you (from the bottom of my heart) for your service to our country and the sacrifices you made doing so.  In mind, body, spirit, financially, and all the other ways.  My Dad served first in the Army (enlisted at age 18) and then Navy.  I've had some relatives join the military, one for career opportunities while serving as a brilliant dentist, one who had a choice of going to Nam or jail, chose Nam and wound up prematurely dead many years later from complications of being exposed to Agent Orange, and one who joined, proudly served, and resumed civilian life.

I've worked with combat vets who suffer from PTSD, a lot of the men and women coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as Vietnam Vets and other conflicts.

I just wanted to say that I understand what you're saying and know where you're coming from, even though I don't have to endure what you've been through myself.

There's a sign on someone's sidewalk grass strip not far from where I live that says "I waited six months to come home from the war, you can wait 30 seconds for me to pull out of my driveway."  Makes me laugh and think every time I drive by it.

Thanks.
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 6:13pm

You do realize that a lot of military folks live until they are seniors, right? You don't think that its an automatic death sentence to join, do you? Because it sounds like it. Geez. I just retired from the army and Clearedhot was right...you don't get it.
Tekeguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 6:57am
"...great to be a member of our country..." best/worst line ever typed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic