Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show vs. Ads Volume

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Show vs. Ads Volume
    Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 6:16pm

The same people who think Billy Mays screaming at us will make us buy their sh*t must be the same people who think having the volume cranked up several levels when the commercials come on will make us buy the advertised sh*t that's being blared at us, too.

It doesn't seem like all channels do this, but I'm sure Fox does with some programs. I'll have something on in the background and then WHAM! the commercials come on at what seems like 10x the volume of the show.
Sponsored Links

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 1:07am
They probably do this so that the commercials can be heard by people who have left the TV set to use the bathroom or grab snacks. 
Back from the dead...
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 3:39am
Can you even imagine what it would be like if the first commercial of the break was subtle and didn't use full volume?  Do you think that could attract attention even better than all the loud commercials following it?
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 7:22am
ABC does it as well. Always.
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 9:25am
It's a bloody nuisance and makes me scramble for the mute button every time.
Love endures all.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 11:04am
My Motorola cable box from Comcast has a setting that allows you to set the volume to a higher compression.

In other words it raises the volume on the quiet parts and lowers the volume on the loud parts automatically.

It's not perfect, but it's better than no compression at all which is the default setting.

Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 2:13pm
I can't stand this tactic either, sometimes it scares the doody out of me, especially if I am falling asleep on the couch or something. Angry 
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

My Motorola cable box from Comcast has a setting that allows you to set the volume to a higher compression.

In other words it raises the volume on the quiet parts and lowers the volume on the loud parts automatically.

It's not perfect, but it's better than no compression at all which is the default setting.

I have a black Motorola Comcast box and have no idea where the manual is.Embarrassed Where is this 'feature'? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic