Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - It's actually harder to be a singer nowadays....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's actually harder to be a singer nowadays....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Actually, to slightly agree with the point of this topic, there's the interesting anecdote that comes with Alison Moyet's last album.

She'd basically reached the age where her record company only wanted her to do covers and classic songs. When she came to them with the idea for the album she wanted to do, they turned it down, so she gathered her friends in the business and put the album together on their own, and then presented the finished work to the record company. It ended up doing famously and the tour following it already has been extended more than a few times.

Who????

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:34pm
English singer, was the vocalist for a popular group called Yazoo in the 80's. She went on to have a large solo career.

She has some fame in the U.S., but I don't think she's super well-known Stateside because she's not the "type" 'we' want associated with pop music (Not skinny, older, doesn't just sing cute songs, and is actually involved in the creative process).
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 1:41am

English singer, was the vocalist for a popular group called Yazoo in the 80's. She went on to have a large solo career.

She has some fame in the U.S., but I don't think she's super well-known Stateside because she's not the "type" 'we' want associated with pop music (Not skinny, older, doesn't just sing cute songs, and is actually involved in the creative process).

English.. not skinny and doesn't just sing cute songs.. that could almost describe Adele (who was mentioned earlier in this thought-provoking thread). How in the world did she make it? Sure she's a great unique talent but the industry these days doesn't usually recognize (and reward) just that.

Which reminds me how I miss Amy Winehouse- there was another individual singing stylist who could have made a lot more great records. She didn't need a lot of crazy vocal gymnastics either to convey meaningful expression.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:01am
Originally posted by LeeboKC LeeboKC wrote:

English.. not skinny and doesn't just sing cute songs.. that could almost describe Adele (who was mentioned earlier in this thought-provoking thread). How in the world did she make it? Sure she's a great unique talent but the industry these days doesn't usually recognize (and reward) just that.

Which reminds me how I miss Amy Winehouse- there was another individual singing stylist who could have made a lot more great records. She didn't need a lot of crazy vocal gymnastics either to convey meaningful expression.

Amy Winehouse was a pretty unique talent in terms of modern day singers.

I remember seeing her American TV debut on David Letterman. I just happened to switch the channel back over to his show after checking to see who was on Leno, & caught most of her doing "Rehab". 

Had never seen anything quite like her...

I was so impressed, that I went to YouTube & searched for more of her stuff.

The next day, I came here on CIH & posted a clip of her.

I think just about everyone here was pretty unanimous in their appreciation of her talent.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:07am
Well to be fair, Alison has lose a lot of weight:

This is her biggest, during her solo career (Yazoo was something of a punk-type thing, so her being chubby didn't play much into that)

And this is from around her recent album.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:11am
"Chubby"??? Shocked

She had passed "chubby" a few miles back at that point & was heading straight towards "OMG it's coming this way!!!" LOL

Dawn French probably looked at her & said "Better her than me!!!" Wink

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:16am
^Dawn French got even worse.

to

Ironically, Jennifer Saunders is fatter now due to her post breast cancer treatments, etc.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:33am
DF looks better in the bottom pic than she did in the top one & on VOD.

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:37am
Yeah. I was really happy to hear about her weight loss. She gained a little back, but not much and it helps make her look more filled out and less saggy in some areas (a sad fact of weightloss after a certain age)

I will say, she still has some awesome knockers, though.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 3:01am
Yeah, she could hurt someone with those things!!! 

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 4:28am
Or with these
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 4:32am
^ I'm going to have nightmares now.... Ermm

C'mon, man!
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 5:58pm
I love Alison Moyet. Only You is one of my favorite songS:

"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:18pm
^YAY! Someone who knows what I'm talkin' about! :D I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!!!
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

"Chubby"??? Shocked

She had passed "chubby" a few miles back at that point & was heading straight towards "OMG it's coming this way!!!" LOL

Dawn French probably looked at her & said "Better her than me!!!" Wink

Thanks for reminding me of one of the funniest things I ever witnessed. I had accompanied my next door neighbor and his 3 y/o Daughter to the store. A very large woman was ahead of us at the checkout. This was around 25 years ago. The woman's pager went off. The Daughter turned and yelled "look out she's backing up"!   
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:44pm

And to think, you have a fellow Alison Moyet fan in Vladivostok.

God love the Internet.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Thanks for reminding me of one of the funniest things I ever witnessed. I had accompanied my next door neighbor and his 3 y/o Daughter to the store. A very large woman was ahead of us at the checkout. This was around 25 years ago. The woman's pager went off. The Daughter turned and yelled "look out she's backing up"!   

Oh lord!!!!

I don't know which would've made my face turn redder... the embarrassment or the blood rushing to my head because I was laughing so hard!!!

C'mon, man!
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 11:34pm

God love the Internet.

Да, мы коммунисты любим алисон мойет. Она наша комрадка. ;)
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

God love the Internet.

Hello Yutolia!
Unfortunately I do not hardly speak Russian so I do not understand your response well (I see you do mention Alison Moyer-I think). Smile
But I do recognize Vladivostok since I worked many years in a music school and we had many students from Asia; a few were from Russia (or former countries of Soviet Union) and I recognized the city in Russian. It is a very pretty city, very cultural and artistic. It is the birthplace of Yul Brynner the famous actor, Да?
If you live there still I hope it is going well for you.  Do svidanya!

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 4:16am
Lee, let me help you with that.  Translation:

Yes, we love Alison Moyet Communists. She's our komradka. ;)

Do be careful of the company you keep. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic