Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Actor Portrayal" - New Commercial Trend?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mst3k4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Actor Portrayal" - New Commercial Trend?
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 7:45pm
Last week, I saw a commercial for ACT mouthwash (the one with a close-up of a woman's teeth as she's petting a dog) where the words "actor portrayal" were on the screen. Since then I've seen two more commercials with this same disclaimer (for Always pads and Dr. Scholl's shoe inserts).

I know such a disclaimer is nothing new when it comes to the many lawyer ads we see on TV, but in commercials for mouthwash and feminine hygiene products? Another example of the dumbing down of America, I suppose.

I bet a year or two from now every commercial on TV will have this disclaimer, even the ones for McDonald's with hipsters dancing around not saying a word.
Sponsored Links

mst3k4evr View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mst3k4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 7:37pm
Since I last posted this nearly two months ago, I've seen a couple more ads with "actor portrayal" on the screen (ACT mouthwash for people with braces and an ad about signing up for AARP, plus a local commercial for a law firm).
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 8:30pm

Do they think that we think that people in commercials aren't actors?  Do they think that we think that commercials are documentaries?

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:39am
They try so hard to make it look authentic, like the commercial guys just popped in to the local dentist's office and found a happy patient there.  For lawyers, I've seen the "this is a real client" disclaimer, with the warning that your outcome may not be similar.  There was one of those lawyer ones a few years ago with a young black guy (nothing racial intended, just describing him), clean cut, sitting on his motorcycle, talking about the great settlement he got.  What broke my heart is he was crippled for life.  I know he was an adult who could make his own decisions, but him hawking for the lawyers after what he went through just broke my heart.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 12:04pm
It's because of all of the lunatics that try to sue companies and make them responsible for stuff they do on their own, but because they saw it on TV.

The ridiculousness of the disclaimer "Professional driver on closed course" when the "professional driver" is driving straight on a road and doing nothing out of the ordinary.

FocusedinNYC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FocusedinNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by mst3k4evr mst3k4evr wrote:

Last week, I saw a commercial for ACT mouthwash (the one with a close-up of a woman's teeth as she's petting a dog) where the words "actor portrayal" were on the screen. Since then I've seen two more commercials with this same disclaimer (for Always pads and Dr. Scholl's shoe inserts).

I know such a disclaimer is nothing new when it comes to the many lawyer ads we see on TV, but in commercials for mouthwash and feminine hygiene products? Another example of the dumbing down of America, I suppose.

I bet a year or two from now every commercial on TV will have this disclaimer, even the ones for McDonald's with hipsters dancing around not saying a word.

Well!  I never saw that!   But, I am thrilled it exists!   A bit ago, I posted negative railings against a dating site, one of the huge ones, which I got employs actors as opposed to actual clients.   It's sneaky, deceptive, disingenuous and shows real contempt for the intended client base, forget, the real potential/value of the service or product.

So, if this you notice is an actual trend, I say, EXCELLENT....shows integrity and respect for the consumer.  Now, if only the mascara lowlifes who, not sure when, started offering spots with every single model wearing false eyelashes might buy their souls back from metaphoric Satans,...that, would be NICE.

I submit, It is the use of deception, including hiring slick actors and trying to make them pass for clients/consumers which fosters dumbing down, NOT simple, honest full disclosure.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic