Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Radio Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ad Council Get Involved w. Your Kid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wankel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ad Council Get Involved w. Your Kid
    Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 6:28pm
There are two of these gems - one with some airhead woman "Look over there... that's WAHHter...WHOOSH WHOOSH... and this is sand..." and some guy talking to his kid about blue cars, cars going fast and he makes engine noises.

Both are just another couple of forgettable blobs in the spittoon that is the Ad Council.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 6:31pm
Don't even get me started on the Ad Council and gubment PSA's.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 6:58am
Those PSAs have been around for at least 5 years. It's for "bornlearning.org." Heard the same ads about the little kid feeling sand, and the kid pointing to the "blue car!"  Wow - what a boring PSA. 
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 7:37pm
I'm on the road late at night and when I get close to home our local station plays nothing but these PSAs. Obviously they don't bother to sell the time after about 9pm.

There's a block that I can just about repeat from memory and they all are horrid; the one with the pirate that's a home mortgage rescue assistant, the stupid kids that "just want to help the community", the really awful singing spots with the "Breathe Easies", the Harrison Ford "small world" campaign, and of course the "my jacket's not a car is it?" ones mentioned above.

Radio stations need better sales people
dskyyksd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskyyksd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 12:07am
"When I have a asthma attack, I feel scared."  I've forgotten the rest of that ad now because I turn it off before the opening line finishes.  Has this ad been running since 1969 or something?
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 12:04am
Enough PSAs I can remember. The most-common ones are every Smokey Bear ad with the phone call to the ranger station about a "bear sighting." 
I'll add one that is really similar to the topic - "actagainstviolence.org" - "Loop one bunny ear around the other, and now your shoe's tied!" "Always wash your hands after going potty." - goes on and on...
The pirate - "1-800 YAR! YAR ARR!!" Ugh. 
The Breathe Easies are the newest campaign about asthma attacks. For a LONG time the ads were either a woman talking about fighting asthma with a "scrubbrush and a towel" and the other one with a man and I remember the line well "If you're gonna smoke, you're gonna smoke outside." That was all due to KAFE-104.1 in Bellingham WA airing Delilah's raw syndicated feed with PSAs - NO local commercials. They have stopped that now and added some rare 70s or 80s song into the breaks - like "Neutron Dance" by The Pointer Sisters and "Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill. 
Those Peace Corp ads "Life is calling" - always air on KIT-AM 1280 in Yakima, as does the ads for Alanon Family Clinics (alcohol awareness). 
There was also McGruff ads I remembered - one about identity theft, another talking about coffee cake, and then :30 and :60 versions of "Scruff McGruff Chicago, IL 60652" sang by a kid. The latter I haven't heard in at least 5 years. 
Another I remember was "keepoceansclean.org" and that site doesn't even work anymore! But I still hear them once in a while - talking about plastic bags in the ocean. 
AND Drug Free America as well. "baa baa black sheep have you any *E*?"
Morgan Freeman's colon cancer radio PSA about screening. KAFE aired that all the time during the raw Delilah breaks. Gotta be 10 years old by now.

-crainbebo 
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:02am
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

Enough PSAs I can remember. The most-common ones are every Smokey Bear ad with the phone call to the ranger station about a "bear sighting." 
I'll add one that is really similar to the topic - "actagainstviolence.org" - "Loop one bunny ear around the other, and now your shoe's tied!" "Always wash your hands after going potty." - goes on and on...
The pirate - "1-800 YAR! YAR ARR!!" Ugh. 
The Breathe Easies are the newest campaign about asthma attacks. For a LONG time the ads were either a woman talking about fighting asthma with a "scrubbrush and a towel" and the other one with a man and I remember the line well "If you're gonna smoke, you're gonna smoke outside." That was all due to KAFE-104.1 in Bellingham WA airing Delilah's raw syndicated feed with PSAs - NO local commercials. They have stopped that now and added some rare 70s or 80s song into the breaks - like "Neutron Dance" by The Pointer Sisters and "Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill. 
Those Peace Corp ads "Life is calling" - always air on KIT-AM 1280 in Yakima, as does the ads for Alanon Family Clinics (alcohol awareness). 
There was also McGruff ads I remembered - one about identity theft, another talking about coffee cake, and then :30 and :60 versions of "Scruff McGruff Chicago, IL 60652" sang by a kid. The latter I haven't heard in at least 5 years. 
Another I remember was "keepoceansclean.org" and that site doesn't even work anymore! But I still hear them once in a while - talking about plastic bags in the ocean. 
AND Drug Free America as well. "baa baa black sheep have you any *E*?"
Morgan Freeman's colon cancer radio PSA about screening. KAFE aired that all the time during the raw Delilah breaks. Gotta be 10 years old by now.

-crainbebo 

Since we're reminiscing about this, there was a series in particular I remember from the American Land Title Association (and the Ad Council of course) that featured a Canadian Mountie type character called Sgt Braxton and his lead dog Zing.
Zing would bark at his cue but I edited the bark off and stuck it throughout the PSA just to make it even more annoying.
Never got any complaints from the affiliates though!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 8:17am
Never heard that one. Delilah's raw feed aired so many PSAs there are too many to count, like I said. 
I'll add yet another, and only Delilah's feed airs it so it is rare everywhere else - "trip chaining". :30 and :60 versions. "Combining errands into one trip"... 

What do you think are some scary RADIO PSAs? Not television! I'd have to say two in the last several years. One, Childhelp with the answering machine. Hearing that loud answering machine "BEEP!" at 2:30 in the morning on our local soft rock station was startling and creepy enough. Then I heard a SAMHSA drug ad that had bottles breaking and some weird sound effects. Scary enough at 1 in the morning. I have only heard a :30 version of that PSA on the radio, not a :60. 
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 11:33am
The Ad Council was created eons ago by embarrassed ad creators that thought they could atone for the crap they inflict on us for money, by inflicting more of the same crap on us for free. Rather like drunk drivers voluntarily picking up roadside litter before being arrested, hoping to be forgiven for their antisocial behavior.

My current pet peeve is again aimed at bad parents not getting their kids to brush their teeth long enough. The psa uses a non sequitor musical jingle "What's Your Favorite Color?!?", sung by musically untalented near monotones.

I've been trying to get my local radio stations to ignore everything from the ad council, but they don't respond, of course.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 8:47pm
PSAs have gotten so stupid nowadays. I got to listen to a station from Iowa last night (online) that airs Delilah late at night, with the raw feed PSAs intact. First thing I heard was "I'm having a stroke!" (x5) Ugh. And about 4 or 5 United Way ones - some from the "what matters" campaign circa 2004-06, the Ruth Rusie one they air all the time, and the Philadelphia Eagles one. There used to be some much better, creepier PSAs on there but they seem to love the newer campaigns more and more. Haven't heard a PDFA, SAMSHA or Childhelp PSA in a long time. I did hear a Rainbows PSA one time (child grief from divorce/death) with a somber new age theme below the audio. 
I hate 2min/2X PSAs. (The teeth brushing) - "Mom stop copying me!" "Mom tell her to stop copying me!" Plus "What's Your Favorite Color". Ugh - yet again. 
This morning I was greeted by "Don't Smoke in the Hhhhh-house, don't smoke in the hhhhh-house" by the wonderful Ad Council and 866-Noattacks. Yuck. 
dskyyksd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskyyksd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

I've been trying to get my local radio stations to ignore everything from the ad council, but they don't respond, of course.

You wouldn't like their answer anyway.  The FCC requires them to give away airtime to run PSA's.  No way they'd do it if they weren't being forced to, and you can bet they're only giving away the exact minimum required.  

AdAnalyzer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 10:59pm
Ooh. Where are you finding the Delila raw feed with old PSA's?

Back in the 90s and early 2000s PSA's on the radio were very creepy and awesome. The crap the Ad Council is putting out nowadays is an affront to all PSA lovers, and yes we do exist, lol. It's just depressing. I'm pretty much sticking with British PSA's these days as I like them to be extremely creepy.

As for scary radio ads, I could go on and on. There was another child help series from 2003. There was no background music, just a deep-voiced announcer talking. The rest of the ad was just him talking about things you can do to prevent child abuse, but it opened with, "A stofe. For most people it's used to cook with, but for some it's used to teach a child a lesson they'll never forget." Cue the PSA-analyzing weirdo curled in the fetal position for the rest of the ad.
Commercials are awesome, except the annoying ones.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 6:18am
Two - KEZZ 94.1 Phippsburg, CO, and KLEM AM 1410 Le Mars, IA. Sometimes both will air only about 1/2, or even 1/3 of the raw feed break, but sometimes I get a full break. KAFE in Bellingham, WA used to, but now they have replaced it with a 70s or 80s song during the breaks. 
Phishinginfo.org is still common with the creepy male voice and dramatic music in the satellite breaks: http://www.phishinginfo.org/downloads/radio60.mp3
there's a couple of SAMSHA ads as well that air, one with really dramatic music at the beginning that sounds like two people fighting, that turns "bright and happy" halfway through the 30 second PSA. 

Never heard that "Stove" one. Except for the foodsafety.gov crap ones that talk about stoves and food thermometers and raw meat. Yuck. 

-crainbebo 

p.s. Hate to admit it, but *I* would be curled in that "fetal" position when the Childhelp "Answering Machine" came on. Hearing that loud "BEEEEEPPP!" at 2:30 in the morning on my local AC? Scary as hell years ago. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 5:15pm
I first heard the answering machine one while staying with a friend. I was in the shower with the radio on, and I had to tell her about the creepy PSA. There was another in the same campaign where a waitress is welcoming someone to the restaurant and then she starts going into details about how she beats the crap out of her kids. This was toward the end of the glory days of Ad Council radio PSA's. The stove one was for the most part just a guy talking and was just a standard ad, except for the zinger intro that left me visualizing all kinds of horrible things. The others in that campaign started with a closet and a coat wrack being normal objects for most people, but could become instruments of torture for sick twisted child abusers. Ooh I shudder just thinking about it.

I think the last time I was truly creeped out and upset by a PSA that came on the radio was the drug free America one from the same campaign as Bah Bah Blacksheep. A little kid was singing her ABC's, except instead of the alphabet, she was singing drug names like LSD and GHB. I thought it was for something to help kids with learning disabilities until she said LSD. Apparently they also had a TV version, but it sounds just like what I heard on the radio.

Thanks for the radio stations. I pretty much only listen to online radio these days and barely ever watch TV at all, so I'm out of the loop on what's going on with PSA's recently. I assume based on this topic that they are as horrible as they have been for the past few years.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 7:47pm
Delilah's sat feed does air the LSD/GHB Drug Free America ads as well. A very interesting PSA. 
I think their oldest PSAs fall around 2003-2004, when her show moved to Premiere Radio Networks from Jones Radio Networks for syndication. I know they air the "what matters" United Way ads from 10 years ago, A LOT. 
But the opposite is hearing "I'm having a stroke, times 5" and the HORRIBLE No Attacks ads for those "Vacuum Up the Floor" and "Clean Up the Mold" songs. Wow - Ad Council has gotten down to a new low. 

I have also heard one for the American Legacy Foundation. The line I remember is "You have a spot on your lung - you probably die." There's this weird "wind" noise in the background at the end. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 1:59pm
Saly I can't find the online streams for those stations, so I guess no PSA for me. Darn. Sucks as the drug ABC one is flippin' epic.
dskyyksd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskyyksd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Neil R Neil R wrote:

Radio stations need better sales people

Radio stations can't sell all of their programming break time.  The Federal Government forces them to give away a certain amount of airtime to these steaming piles of sh*t known as PSA's.  So we get less programming because they're still going to cram as many commercials down our throats with or without PSA's. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 12:21am
Correction, I did find KLEM, and I hope I get to hear them tonight. This appears to be an oldies show or something playing right now.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 2:34am
Search KEZZ on tunein and you'll find it. Easy 94.1. Delilah should air from 8PM-1AM CT (7-12 MT) 7 nights a week. And they don't have a big local ad load at night - most if not all of the satellite feed PSA breaks are left intact. 
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 5:23am
I just downloaded some 4Shared files of smooth jazz station airchecks (ones on the old Jones network 2000-08). Got to hear some oldies but goodies! Both I'm describing are from an aircheck, taped off a Missouri station in early 2005. 
There was an Americans for the Arts PSA in that batch where a guy asked another person "Who is Rudolf Nureyev" only to reply "I think he was on the Maple Leafs"...then there's a creepy male announcer. Probably the same creepy one that was on the "seizure 911 call" one years ago as well. 
Also, the old WIC PSA where the boy sings his ABCs and couldn't remember anything past "D". Haven't heard that since probably late 2009. 

-crainbebo
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:49am
How about this "gem"?

Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 8:26pm
Speaking of oral health...
The Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic has this cartoon PSA out now. At first I thought it was another stupid 2min2x Ad Council one. 

Stu Pidd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Pidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 8:15am
MY JACKETS NOT A CAR, IS IT?!?!?!?!

I'm no expert on kids, but that is a dumb question for any age. If you can grasp the basics of language, then you are way beyond the point of comprehending that a jacket is not a car because they have a similar color.

I'm not sure what the PSA's for, but I keep hearing this one during EVERY commercial break on a local AM station:
DAD: Go ahead sweetie, jump in the water!
SH*TTY 4-YEAR OLD GIRL: I dunno daddy, the water is COWDDD!!!!

It's so irritating that I slap the button to turn off the radio with lightning speed these days. It's been on for at least a year now tho, so hopefully I only have to put up with it for about 9 more.
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Stu Pidd Stu Pidd wrote:

DAD: Go ahead sweetie, jump in the water!
SH*TTY 4-YEAR OLD GIRL: I dunno daddy, the water is COWDDD!!!! It's so irritating that I slap the button to turn off the radio with lightning speed these days. It's been on for at least a year now tho, so hopefully I only have to put up with it for about 9 more.</span>

I wouldn't get my hopes up, once a PSA gets in the rotation it's pretty much forgotten and we're doomed to hear it until they buy new equipment or some new program director decides to "freshen" things up a bit.

The one with the red jacket has been running for years now, and there's one with a silly woman explaining money to her daughter ("dollars are rectangles"; "I wike dollars!"). That kid's got to be in college by now.

If the stations would hire some better sales people they might fill those blocks up and we'd only have to endure them a fraction of the time.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 5:45pm
I don't mind PSAs like this - far too man kids don't know who be 'da baby daddy, these days. They miss having parents around. I KNOW this from our own five, since there were LONG stretches of their formative years when either I, or the Missus (or, a few times, both of us) were on the road. When we would all be togeter, we parents were often exhausted and it would take us a bit to get back in the 'family swing'...and once we did, there we were packing up again, waving 'bye' to the kids. Didn't feel it so much, then - except when it would be the Missus, we all got pretty nervous. One of the kids once asked, "...is mom coming home in a box this time?", which scared the bejessus out of me, or when the missus called me and said, "...listen! what do you hear?", to which I said, "Nothing - what is it?". The reply left me damaged to this day - "'tis the sound of your son taking his first footsteps...".  Didn't take much of that for us to make adjustments...we're very lucky our kids grew up as good as they did.
~~~
The PSAs that have short shelf-lives are sometimes some of the best, like the Canadian Workplace Safety ads, or some of the Domestic Violence PSAs, such as these little gems...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic