Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glen Campbell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glen Campbell
    Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:08am
No, not dead, but his condition has required a move to a facility.  A great talent.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:18am
I heard his mind was going some time ago, but this happened rather quickly.

He gave his final concert not too long ago I think.

Saw it on TV.

Shame. He had a lot of good music left in him.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:28am

He went on his goodbye tour not too long ago.  His daughter (also a musician) had to help him remember things on stage.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:56pm
Awwww what a shame. I always liked Glen Campbell.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:04pm

I remember once, driving through the South at night on my way to Florida for spring break, and hearing Southern Nights.  To this day, I love that song, even though I considered it disco.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:37pm
"By the Time I Get to Phoenix" used to make me cry when I was a little kid. I thought it was one of the saddest songs ever. Then, Carol Burnett did a spoof on it - she was singing it and pretending she was getting into a car that kept falling apart. I still think it's a damn sad song, though.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:43pm

The guitar at the beginning of Gentle on My Mind makes that my fave Campbell song.  It's really a lot like Everybody's Talkin' (by Harry Nilsson) from the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack.  Sometimes, when it comes on, I confuse the two for a few seconds.

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 3:00pm
This is sad.  I'm sad for him and for his loved ones.  Yeah, he embarked on a poignant farewell tour a few years back with the knowledge that it would be the last time and that he was struggling to remember his own songs.  

My parents liked his stuff and I grew up with it.  A talented man.  
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 3:03pm
BTTIGTP was originally recorded by Johnny Rivers, but Glen Campbell's version is the one everyone remembers.

It was written by a songwriter named Jimmy Webb (no relation to Jack) who also wrote Witchita Lineman & Galveston.

He also wrote MacArthur Park & Up, Up and Away.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I remember once, driving through the South at night on my way to Florida for spring break, and hearing Southern Nights.  To this day, I love that song, even though I considered it disco.

I liked the song when it first came out & still don't dislike it, but ever since the early 80's, I mentally associate it with gays because for several years here in Orlando, there was a well known gay bar by the same name.

Now every time I hear it, it just sounds gay to me.

Can't help it.

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:33pm
Acting wise, all I can remember is he played a Texas Ranger along side John Wayne in True Grit.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 12:19am
He had a musical variety TV show from 1969 to 1972.  The Beatles actually performed on a show and Steve Martin was one of the writers.  I remember John Hartford as a regular.  Per his Wikipedia entry,

"According to Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI), his song "Gentle On My Mind" has been played on radio and television over 6 million times (second only to The Beatles' recording "Yesterday".

I really miss variety/music TV.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I really miss variety/music TV.

Same here, but more specifically (& I think this probably applies to you too) I miss the 1960's & 70's brand of variety/music TV.

If they tried to recreate it today, it would just suck.

The "music" would all be the same nauseating crap like Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Snoop Whateverthef**kheisnow, P Diddy, etc., etc., that we're all sick of already.

And any comedy they attempted to do would be full of sexual inuendo & social media references.

That was a genre of television whose time came & went.

Best thing you can do is try to find it in reruns or online & just enjoy the old memories.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 1:08am

We really do start living in the past as we get older.  It's so much better there sometimes.  Even when I do find some contemporary stuff I like, it just rarely excites me as it once did.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 1:11am
Spot on Jimbo.  
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 1:35am

We really do start living in the past as we get older.  It's so much better there sometimes.  Even when I do find some contemporary stuff I like, it just rarely excites me as it once did.

That's why I like those Brit TV shows, especially the older ones.

Even in the newer ones, they tend to portray more characters my age, but the older ones tend to be from "my era"... i.e., the 70's & 80's.

They make me feel at home. Amongst my own kind, etc.

C'mon, man!
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 3:19am
The variety format started dying out when they put every flash-in-the-pan celebrity got one.  For every Sonny and Cher that was successful, there was a Starland Vocal Band that was not.  I think the nadir of the variety show was when ABC greenlighted Saturday Night Live With Howard Cosell.  They tried to make Howard the second coming of Ed Sullivan, even using the theatre that was named for him.  
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 3:45am

Thanks to the Baby Boomers' economic and social clout, things became much more niche by the 70s.  No longer did we have to put up with the Topo Gigios and Sophie Tuckers and a buncha jugglers from Europe in order to see rock bands.  We got Midnight Special and In Concert.

Same with radio.  We no longer had to listen to a variety of styles on AM Top 40 radio.  We could go right to our "progressive rock" FM stations, and dispense with the Jackson 5 and Bert Kaempfert.

However, I wouldn't say variety shows died out.  They just got cooler and came on later at night via Letterman and the other 4 or so late night talk shows.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 3:57am
Personally, I'd take Topo and Sophie Tucker anyday. Even (nay, especially) Senor Wences.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 4:02am

I loved Topo.  Sophie, not so much.  

Senor Wences.  There's someone whose death we didn't even notice.  LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 4:08am

Saw the documentary about his farewell tour. It was pretty clear he was slipping...

My favorite Campbell song has always been 'Witchita Lineman' - I'll never get tired of that song.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 4:39am

Thanks to the Baby Boomers' economic and social clout, things became much more niche by the 70s.  No longer did we have to put up with the Topo Gigios and Sophie Tuckers and a buncha jugglers from Europe in order to see rock bands.  We got Midnight Special and In Concert.

Same with radio.  We no longer had to listen to a variety of styles on AM Top 40 radio.  We could go right to our "progressive rock" FM stations, and dispense with the Jackson 5 and Bert Kaempfert.

However, I wouldn't say variety shows died out.  They just got cooler and came on later at night via Letterman and the other 4 or so late night talk shows.

Well, keep in mind, all those old variety/musical type shows were not as uncool as you describe.

I think acts like Topo Gigios, Sophie Tucker, the jugglers & plate spinners were more the forte of Ed Sullivan & The Hollywood Palace.

The Smothers Brothers was known as one of the most hip & subversive shows on TV back in the late 60's & early 70's. 

Their battles with the network censors were legendary.

And then there was The Johnny Cash Show...

C'mon, man!
Alex View Drop Down
Spammer to be deleted
Spammer to be deleted

Donathan. Report posts for deletion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 7:19am
I wouldn't call Afternoon Delight not successful... Horny Lust disguised as a poppy I love you song. LOL....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Well, keep in mind, all those old variety/musical type shows were not as uncool as you describe.

What was great about those old variety shows was that there was something for everybody of every age---even our parents who, in their 30s and 40s, were practically geriatric.

Lotta great comedians got big, thanks to Ed Sullivan.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 2:59pm

I loved Topo.  Sophie, not so much.  

Senor Wences.  There's someone whose death we didn't even notice.  LOL

I heard that people at his funeral noticed.  The lid of his casket kept popping open as he said, "S'awright"

He lived to be 103.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic