Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Super Bowl Commercials :: 2014 Super Bowl Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GoldieBlox - ♫ Come on, get your toys ♫

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GoldieBlox - ♫ Come on, get your toys ♫
    Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 3:43am
This reminds me of those horrid "Kidz Bop" ads. This is what I hear when little kids sing: "WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH WAH WAAAAAAAAH" ... nnnnnggghh... Pinch Gives me a migraine just thinking about it.

Sponsored Links

Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 1:48pm
Why in the name of Davy Jones' locker would they use a Quiet Riot (hair metal) tune to advertise a children's product anyway? 
OWWW! Turn that $#!7 down! 
Reminds me of the SpongeBob SquarePants movie when they used a Twisted Sister tune ("I Wanna Rock") to perform the song, "Goofy Goober Rock". Ouch

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 3:13pm

Originally posted by Tampon Submarine Tampon Submarine wrote:

Why in the name of Davy Jones' locker would they use a Quiet Riot (hair metal) tune to advertise a children's product anyway? 

Well, if you wanna get technical, that was a Slade song.  But they probably use it because it's familiar.  Ya gotta admit, though---better than if they used a Katie Perry song.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 3:17pm
I had to watch this stupid POS a few times to "get" it. So girls are destroying their pink girly toys in some quest - for what? To be innovative? WTF are Goldie Blocks anyway?

And what really burns my ass - Goldie Blocks didn't have to pay for the ad. They won some kind of small business prize.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 11:07pm
(un-cut version) ???? WTF part were they going to cut out? From what I saw, little girls no longer like pink toys. What a waste of money.
potofgold View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potofgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 4:16am
Why that tune?
Because the original ad was going to be use parodied version of a Beastie Boys song - but the Beastie Boys had a snit over the idea of their music being used in a commercial and filed a lawsuit against Goldie Blocks. (I like the Beastie Boys but I thought  that was a disappointing move on their part)

Personally, I like Goldie Blocks and their mission statement.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by potofgold potofgold wrote:

Why that tune?
Because the original ad was going to be use parodied version of a Beastie Boys song - but the Beastie Boys had a snit over the idea of their music being used in a commercial and filed a lawsuit against Goldie Blocks. (I like the Beastie Boys but I thought  that was a disappointing move on their part)

That's not quite what happened.  The Beastie Boys filed a counter-suit against Goldie Blox when Goldie Blox sued them first.  The Beastie Boys had decided much before this ad existed that they didn't want their music used in any commercials (in fact, this was stated in Adam Yauch's will), and Goldie Blox said that parodies shouldn't count, and sued them in advance to be able to use the song.  The Beastie Boys simply counter-sued.  

If there's a villain in this story, it would be Goldie Blox.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

OuchYup - makes sense.
Women.
Nature's Criminals.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

OuchYup - makes sense.

Women.

Nature's Criminals.

"STICK EM UP, PA!"
The artist formerly known as Madawee

potofgold View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potofgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 7:00pm

Originally posted by potofgold potofgold wrote:

Why that tune?

That's not quite what happened.  The Beastie Boys filed a counter-suit against Goldie Blox when Goldie Blox sued them first.  The Beastie Boys had decided much before this ad existed that they didn't want their music used in any commercials (in fact, this was stated in Adam Yauch's will), and Goldie Blox said that parodies shouldn't count, and sued them in advance to be able to use the song.  The Beastie Boys simply counter-sued.  

Meh. I think they're right - parodies shouldn't count.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 7:10pm

If someone cannot legally use a song, it means they can neither use the words nor the music...especially if there's going to be money made from use of the song.  George Harrison was successfully sued for having used the music to a Chiffons song that was popular a few years earlier.  It was plagiarism, even if Harrison didn't realize he was using their music.  He was making money off of someone else's property.

Weird Al has to get permission and pay for the use of someone else's music in the parodies he does.  Why shouldn't Goldie Blox?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic