Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiffer 'The Rukavinas' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swiffer 'The Rukavinas' (video)
    Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 4:27pm
Something simply doesn't 'feel right' about this new Swiffer advertisement even though the message presented by a nice young family is really very goodConfused 
Maybe it is using the 'Handicap Ploy' while we're still in recovery from 'Geezer Madness'...
I'm giving this commercial one thumb downThumbs Down
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 4:38pm

Pa, I'm stumped as to why you don't think this commercial feels right.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 4:46pm
Sheesh, I knew this one would come up.
He doesn't look like a veteran, I'm thinking he should stay away from that garbage disposal.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 5:07pm

Hopefully his real name isn't 'Chipper Wood' ("...let's look him up in the phone book...").

At least the commercial is short and blunt.

(Confusedthis thread stands a chance of getting tasteless fast)

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Bena View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 10:59pm
This commercial falls over itself trying to be progressive. "Look! An interracial couple!" "Look! The guy is handicapped!" It's insulting how hard they're trying to pander to the viewers.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Bena Bena wrote:

This commercial falls over itself trying to be progressive. "Look! An interracial couple!" "Look! The guy is handicapped!" It's insulting how hard they're trying to pander to the viewers.

You forgot the gay element.  

Oh wait---the daughter does have a short, kinda butch hairdo.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Bena Bena wrote:

You forgot the gay element.  

Oh wait---the daughter does have a short, kinda butch hairdo.

I think Gay-In- Elementary-School element (which I didn't notice)...isn't that a matter being discussed in Cali and Colorado, these days?
And yea - if they're going to mix handicapped and interracial, you damned well know it will be some strong wife attached to a 'handy-white'.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:58pm
Why is sweeping "so hard"?
The 1 arm guy is making it look harder than it really is. Even if he had both arms, holding on to a ceiling fan blade is not an option - the blades spin. It's a 2 step step stool. Wow.
How many times does he dust the top of the ceiling fan blades anyway? Someone should drop a box of Schick razors at their door - he needs a shave.
Chipster View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 12:03am
Just like the Suburu commercials, the 20/30-something guy has the obligatory stubble and greasy, unkempt hair. But at least they stopped the annoying singing mop ads.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 12:45am
I agree with the "unsettling" feeling, Pa.  Political Correctness OVERLOAD. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Banderboy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 5:20pm
Wasn't that same guy in a commercial for Toro snowblowers last year?
Every day my mind grows keener- my good arm stronger--- my silly enemies more futile---
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Banderboy Banderboy wrote:

Don't recall that...maybe Toro Lawn Mowers, which, whenever I'm near one, I keep at an 'arm's-length' distance from. No, I'm not a fan of Toro products - they've always left me feeling 'short-changed'.
Banderboy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Don't recall that...maybe Toro Lawn Mowers, which, whenever I'm near one, I keep at an 'arm's-length' distance from. No, I'm not a fan of Toro products - they've always left me feeling 'short-changed'.

It was a joke. A very, very bad joke Embarrassed
Every day my mind grows keener- my good arm stronger--- my silly enemies more futile---
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 7:57pm
As with the other recent Swiffer ads, this is a real family. The husband had his arm amputated because of cancer. Supposedly, he really did do all of the cleaning and outdoor work before he lost his hand/part of arm. They live in South Dakota. Adweek and several others mention he has had a couple of bit parts in Switched at Birth and some reality show.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 9:22pm

^No doubt about that, BW.

For one, I really feel Swiffer 'rode the fence', here.
Think everyone has an idea of what their products can do - they just latched onto an amazing amount of eyebrow-raising subject matter and crammed it into 30 seconds, just to promote their product. *I* find it a little offensive and about as tasteless as my own innuendos - but Swiffer - NOT the family - earned it.
God bless the family, screw the Swiffer commercial experts for setting them up.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 10:37pm
My post was purely informational since some were speculating on how he lost his hand and I knew the others in this series of ads were "real" people.

I didn't look up the daughter/mother/grandmother one and it may have a good backstory but I think it is the least "noticed" of the 3 that I have seen. Just kind of like, "so what?"
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

^No doubt about that, BW.

For one, I really feel Swiffer 'rode the fence', here.
Think everyone has an idea of what their products can do - they just latched onto an amazing amount of eyebrow-raising subject matter and crammed it into 30 seconds, just to promote their product. *I* find it a little offensive and about as tasteless as my own innuendos - but Swiffer - NOT the family - earned it.
God bless the family, screw the Swiffer commercial experts for setting them up.

Good post, Pa.  Pretty much sums up every feeling I have about this commercial.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 12:39am

Real family or not. Dusting and sweeping the kitchen floor is not that difficult.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Real family or not. Dusting and sweeping the kitchen floor is not that difficult.

Well, if you have only one arm, you might be able to sweep, but then what?  What do you do with the pile of crumbs?

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 1:13am
^^ So that's why the wife(with 2 arms) is having such a hard time sweeping? Right. He couldn't hold the dustpan still with a foot. They have kids, none could help?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

^^ So that's why the wife(with 2 arms) is having such a hard time sweeping? Right. He couldn't hold the dustpan still with a foot. They have kids, none could help?

Okay, sweeping is no problem when you only have one arm.  LOL

Chipster View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 1:17am
What twisted f*ck is responsible for this creepy ad? Exploiting disabled people and minorities to show the company's "sensitivity" and "hip diversity" is appalling.

Seriously disturbing.
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 1:25am
Haven't watched the video, but if it's a real family, guess that's cool. True about having a whole bunch of PC stuff thrown at people all at once, though- the immediate reaction is, WTF seriously??
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

Haven't watched the video, but if it's a real family, guess that's cool. True about having a whole bunch of PC stuff thrown at people all at once, though- the immediate reaction is, WTF seriously??

It doesn't matter how real the families/people are, if you take any minority group/scenario and make a fad of showing them on TV more often than what you'd see day-to-day, it'll feel awkward and forced (which is why people take offense at all the gay-centric shows like Glee or Modern Family).

That being said, this ad doesn't feel that way to me. Just looks like a normal family that just happens to be interracial (not just "they're interracial because that's what the adtards want on TV") - they seem like nice people.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

That being said, this ad doesn't feel that way to me. Just looks like a normal family that just happens to be interracial (not just "they're interracial because that's what the adtards want on TV") - they seem like nice people.

Maybe with the amputee thing to distract us, the advertisers found a way to make the interracial thing (specifically, the black-white coupling) less noticeable.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic