Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spelling "foa paw" in Reese's commercial.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spelling "foa paw" in Reese's commercial.
    Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 4:27am
I'm not the spelling police on internet BBSs, but I can flash my badge at major companies when they make a rather obvious blunder on ye olde boob tube.

Case in point: The new Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercial that's playing during the holiday season.
It's the one where they show a Reese's cup with a hand crank on its side ala. a Jack-In-The-Box toy. At the top (in a very large font) they have various words that might be used to describe the tiny candies.

One of those words that they show is the word, "POPABLE".

I believe that the word should be spelled P-O-P-P-A-B-L-E.
Note that there are two "P"'s right before the "A".

I was not able to find a video of this commercial on YouTube, so I cannot demonstrate this visually.

Sponsored Links

maskddingo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 4:42am
I think you are probably right. Personally, I would have written it: pop-able, just to be safe. It's a shame they don't take the time to edit that before paying so much money for a commercial.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 2:47pm

From a spelling-related website:

• The Reese’s Minis Commercial Controversy- Popable vs. Poppable- in order to pronounce the word with the short “o” sound, there must be a double consonant, “p” in this case. However, in this instance, I haven’t found a single dictionary that acknowledges this word with either spelling. The only way to make “popable” correct would be to place a hyphen in there: “pop-able.” Spell check even suggests the hyphenated form when the other two spellings are used. *Side note: does it bother anyone else that huge companies are making mistakes in national (maybe even international) ad campaigns? No one in the company looked at that spelling and pronounced it like “pope?”

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 6:44pm
Wow, that's bad.  I mean, you'd think they'd fact check the few words in their f*cking commercial. 

Or maybe the pope just likes his Reese's.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Meave60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meave60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 4:34am
I found the word "poppable" in Webster's online dictionary, using a Google search, and it means capable of being popped. Apparently, according to the article, the word "poppable" usually is not found in the free version, but is found in the unabridged version. I have not been able to find a dictionary definition for "popable". It seems that most people who use popable, actually mean palpable. This egregious error should have been noticed and corrected by a copy editor. After all, there are only a few words in the entire commercial! I think someone needs to be fired, maybe several "someones". I hope the head of the corporation is mortified, and will pull the commercial off the air. As a former teacher, it irritates me when corporations make such ridiculous errors, which school children will see and believe are correct because they saw it on TV. I hope that teachers everywhere will take the time to point Reese 's error out to their students as a lesson, that just because it's in the media doesn't make it correct. Shame on Reese 's!

Meave60
DanicaFontaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanicaFontaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:01pm
Faux pas.

I mean seriously? If you can't unequivocally spell the words in your complaint, find another way to complain about a misspelled word.

At any rate, I caught the misspellings of poppable the first time I saw it, and now, four months later, it's still on the air?

That's almost as annoying as that asinine Crestor commercial. Almost...
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 10:13pm
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the use of quotes around "foa paw" means that the misspelling was intenshunol. 
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 10:42pm
...You're a bit thick, aren't you Danica?
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 11:03pm
[Ralph Wiggum] Me fail English? That's unpossible! [/Ralph Wiggum]
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by DanicaFontaine DanicaFontaine wrote:

Faux pas.

I mean seriously? If you can't unequivocally spell the words in your complaint, find another way to complain about a misspelled word.

If you'll note the quote marks around the phrase, "foa paw", you'd see that I misspelled it intentionally.
I know full well how to spell faux pas. :-O

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

[Ralph Wiggum] Me fail English? That's unpossible! [/Ralph Wiggum]
So stick that in your pope and smike it.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:15am
Sea? Toldja it wuz dun on porpose.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 2:40am
Originally posted by DanicaFontaine DanicaFontaine wrote:

Faux pas.

At any rate, I caught the misspellings of poppable the first time I saw it, and now, four months later, it's still on the air?

That's almost as annoying as that asinine Crestor commercial. Almost...

Were you just trying to be ironic with this post?
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

TreeSmasher View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TreeSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 2:41am
http://commercialsihate.com/topic18079_post268399.html#268399
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic