Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Humane Society Commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sjh4889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Humane Society Commercial
    Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 9:58am
It looks like the Humane Society of the United States came up with a new ad, and it's more graphic and depressing than ever. This one seems to air more during the wee hours of the morning, and what better way to start my day than by staring at a starving horse and a sad dog with the caption "why do they kick me?" I wonder if the poor saps who fall for this ad and part with their hard earned cash realize that the Humane Society doesn't operate a single animal shelter; they're a political lobbying organization. I love animals, but nothing gets me reaching for the remote faster than this one.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 10:54am
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 5:55pm
I saw one of these "yank my heart out and run it over with a garbage truck" commercials just this past Sunday. Even Beloved stopped what he was doing and said "Jesus Christ, why is this commercial so GD long?" with Silent Night playing in the background no less! Sigh - if you want to help the critters, donate to your local Humane Society. Walk in with the supplies if you can.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 6:38pm
I've read in an advertisement for a local shelter that the ASPCA only donates 15% to shelters, so if you want to save the critters donate to a local shelter.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
sjh4889 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sjh4889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 4:44am
The HSUS donates less than 1% of its budget to shelters. Fact.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 4:49am
I like Madawee's statement. I've always held the stance that you should treat charities like beggars. Don't give them money, give them stuff.

I donated old dog supplies to one, clothes to another, food we didn't want or need to another, etc.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
OnTheVedge View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheVedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 5:20am
HSUS lobbies for animal welfare legislation, so I'm cool with that. They have to compete with beef, pork, etc. lobbyists who have way more money and in turn more ability to sway politicians.
ALE515 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALE515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 4:57pm
I have a rescued dog, and we donate to the rescue where we got her. That should entitle me to not have to watch these types of commercials! They always make me feel like I still haven't done enough. I'm a sucker for animals.....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 5:04pm

I don't think I've ever watched any of these commercials in their entirety.  I see the first few seconds, and I change the channel.

I watch Pit Bulls and Parolees on occasion.  The animals they rescue are sad, but they almost always have a good outcome.  Those people do great work.  

Crackicus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crackicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 5:17pm
This one's been around for a while, and I still gotta change the channel when it comes on since that sh*t really gets to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic