Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Verizon: Horrible rendition of "Winter Wonderland"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verizon: Horrible rendition of "Winter Wonderland"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Verizon: Horrible rendition of "Winter Wonderland"
    Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 3:43am
I don't know how but Verizon managed to mangle "Winter Wonderland". This commercial features various flashes of people at a table, taking out Verizon products out of the box and trying them out.

I hate the music and the visuals of this ad, they're nauseating.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 6:34am
Do you mean that ad with the awful Spanish version of Winter Wonderland? If so, that's an instant mute.
Kris L. Walker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kris L. Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 1:34pm
 Here's the ad that Ad is referring to. I must admit, it's horrendous. I haven't watched many Christmas commercials in the past few years and this is a prime example why I don't watch them anymore. Either they overdo the ad about some stupid piece of technology or some stupid s**t that no one with common sense would really waste their hard earned dollars on. This just proves that no company is free from lame-ass advertisements. All I want to do is put that technology on a rocket that will blow up once it leaves the outer reaches of our solar system. Another bad commercial in this holiday season. What could be worse? Oh wait, there is one thing...Radio Shack and their damn 'Tech the Halls' advertising campaign, but, that's another can of fowl commercials for another thread here on the good old CommercialsIHate.com forum where bad commercials are slammed, and given the ass giving, they so rightfully deserve.
Back from an unexpected hiatus. Time to rip ads a new one all over again.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 3:25pm
Oh god yes, that's the horrific commercial I'm talking about!

The animation is too damn jerky to pay attention to.

Cut it out Verizon.

Makes me miss Bell Atlantic.
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 4:14pm
It's pretty bad, but at least they didn't mess with the lyrics.

It easily could have been "Shoppin' in a cellphone wonderland". I remember one commercial did something close to that last year and it drove me nuts.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 4:41pm

Bob Rivers had Walkin' 'round in Women's Underwear.

gonein30seconds View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonein30seconds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 5:42am
I must be an army of one bc I love that track & the Verizon holiday campaign. Sleeper Agent is the artist. I'd say it must be an age thing but I'm in my 40s so there goes that theory. To each their own I guess, I've just become so nauseated from hearing the same tired handful of holiday songs endlessly since October.

At least they freshened up Winter Wonderland w/o feeling the need to change the melody or lyrics, got to give em that.
Lucian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 5:20am
Alright, I had to resurface just because of this one... Every couple of months, one comes along that just sooo nauseates me, that I have to come rant. And this one fits that bill perfectly. This is soooo *&@#$ing awful, not only does it recieve an "instant mute", it's all I can do to not follow that up by sending the remote through the screen. They may not have changed the lyrics, but they skipped every other line... so...? But the worst part is the the gal with the headphones, doing her little just-got-a-QB-sack-and-I'm-mad-for-some-reason\Arsenio Hall Show\this-is-how-I-rap faux angry pointing crap while she sings along to that terrible, awful, no good, very bad song. I'm glad I don't have Verizon. I just couldnt, in good conscience, send those people money every month. I have to go vomit until my abdominals seize up now.
garnet1223 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garnet1223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 6:45pm
Are you guys kidding? I absolutely LOVE that version of the song! I've been looking everywhere for the full version but can't seem to find it. I've only found the band name (Sleeper Agent) so far. Anyway, that's your opinion but it doesn't mean it's a bad song for a fact..
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Bob Rivers had Walkin' 'round in Women's Underwear.

I made my own "Twisted Christmas" CD a few years ago with some Bob Rivers and other material. I discovered that my Granddaughters were still a bit young for "Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire".  
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 3:51am
Originally posted by garnet1223 garnet1223 wrote:

Are you guys kidding? I absolutely LOVE that version of the song! I've been looking everywhere for the full version but can't seem to find it. I've only found the band name (Sleeper Agent) so far. Anyway, that's your opinion but it doesn't mean it's a bad song for a fact..

You're entitled to your opinion, frankly I HATE that song and nothing will change that thought so...let's agree to disagree!
Chet Desmond View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chet Desmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 2:54am
Agreed.  I can't stand it and the woman and the end with the headphones annoys the hell out of me.  
rudorama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudorama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 2:59am
Don't apologize, Gone. I found this forum by searching for the authors of this version of "Winter Wonderland". I am a blues/rock/pop musician, older than you, and this is one of the freshest renditions of that song I have heard in forty years! I wasn't the least bit aware that they were shilling for Verizon until I happened to be viewing television when the ad aired. The arrangement is good, the vocals and production top notch. I was able to find and purchase the full mp3 version on Amazon, and listened to some of Sleeper Cell's other recordings, they're not bad at all. Just goes to show why there's more than one flavor of ice cream...

As an aside, I would like to say that while there are plenty of annoying, un-creative commercials out there, some of the good ones are far better than the products/shows/causes they are selling, and they do their job quite well. I can still remember and recite ad slogans and jingles from as long ago as the fifties, which shows how effective they were!

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

It's pretty bad, but at least they didn't mess with the lyrics.

After giving it this sh*t hipster indie makeover, they might as well have gone all out and changed up the lyrics too.
strifeknot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote strifeknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 9:29pm
They have effectively altered the song, by playing just a couple of verses at the beginning, then endlessly repeating the chorus at the end. It's been dumbed down to appeal to teens and kids in their early 20s.

This is what music has been reduced to today: and simplistic thumping beat and excessive repetition.

The bony-faced chick at the end is especially annoying, with the cliched hand on the earphone, the finger wagging, the fake rocking out to a fake rock version of song, the gesture of flicking a graphic to the camera at the end.
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Lucian Lucian wrote:

Alright, I had to resurface just because of this one... Every couple of months, one comes along that just sooo nauseates me, that I have to come rant. And this one fits that bill perfectly. This is soooo *&@#$ing awful, not only does it recieve an "instant mute", it's all I can do to not follow that up by sending the remote through the screen. They may not have changed the lyrics, but they skipped every other line... so...? But the worst part is the the gal with the headphones, doing her little just-got-a-QB-sack-and-I'm-mad-for-some-reason\Arsenio Hall Show\this-is-how-I-rap faux angry pointing crap while she sings along to that terrible, awful, no good, very bad song. I'm glad I don't have Verizon. I just couldnt, in good conscience, send those people money every month. I have to go vomit until my abdominals seize up now.

Clap

The Arsenio Hall Show reference cracked me up big time.

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 5:10am
Originally posted by strifeknot strifeknot wrote:

They have effectively altered the song, by playing just a couple of verses at the beginning, then endlessly repeating the chorus at the end. It's been dumbed down to appeal to teens and kids in their early 20s.

This is what music has been reduced to today: and simplistic thumping beat and excessive repetition.

The bony-faced chick at the end is especially annoying, with the cliched hand on the earphone, the finger wagging, the fake rocking out to a fake rock version of song, the gesture of flicking a graphic to the camera at the end.

Generation Oprah is taking over (generations X and younger) who embrace having kids out of wedlock, hipsterism, political correctness, suspending 6 year old boys for hugging 6 year old girls. This chick probably is multi sexual, does it with men, women, goats, and other animals, doesn't shave her legs and bathes maybe once a week with recycled water from her hipster girlfriend's once weekly bath or shower. Also they are all on drugs.
I approve this message.
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 7:00am
Originally posted by zippyjet zippyjet wrote:

Generation Oprah is taking over (generations X and younger) who embrace having kids out of wedlock, hipsterism, political correctness, suspending 6 year old boys for hugging 6 year old girls. This chick probably is multi sexual, does it with men, women, goats, and other animals, doesn't shave her legs and bathes maybe once a week with recycled water from her hipster girlfriend's once weekly bath or shower. Also they are all on drugs.

We ain't all that bad. Big smile
In all fairness, there was quite a bit of psychoactive-use and free-love going around in generations before this one, as well.

But I embrace none of those things, and infact, detest them with every fibre of my being.
strifeknot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strifeknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 7:48am
Ugly, white, conservative males' failure to get laid turns them into flaming, misogynistic, homophobic, racist assholes. It's rather amusing to observe their feeble, ineffective, illiterate, poorly argued tantrums as they flail helplessly, impotently against that which they cannot change. It must hurt knowing that history is going to bury them like an old sock in a landfill.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

In all fairness, there was quite a bit of psychoactive-use and free-love going around in generations before this one, as well.

Yep.  We were young and stupid back then, too.  We thought it was all cool, and that the older folks were "old and in the way".  When they objected, we ignored them because they were "the past".  Then came AIDS and crack, things we never took any responsibility for, simply because we never intended for such things to come about.

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 8:15pm

Ugly, white, conservative males' failure to get laid turns them into flaming, misogynistic, homophobic, racist assholes. It's rather amusing to observe their feeble, ineffective, illiterate, poorly argued tantrums as they flail helplessly, impotently against that which they cannot change. It must hurt knowing that history is going to bury them like an old sock in a landfill.

BTW:
1. I'm told I'm not ugly
2. Far from conservative never voted red in an election and I've been a registered voter since 1974! Came close in the Presidential Election of 1980 and it was between Jimmy Carter and John Anderson.
3. No problem in the getting laid department.
4. Homophobic? Racist? Ask my co-workers/friends on that one.
5. Hope we never go back to the days when the USA was literally in a state of Apartheid.
6. Ever heard of the Squeaky Wheel Gets the Oil?
7. If we let the current suffocation of speech and expression continue we may just become Germany circa 1942.
8. And, I'll be the first to admit that we set the current state of affairs in motion both the good and the bad (Baby Boom Generation)
9. And, I'm not the only one who's ranting. 
10. Sorry, can't understand the hipster thing.
11. A sense of humor does a body good even a ranting Political Correct hipster who embraces these commercials and likes the so called current music, art and culture.

I approve this message.
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

[QUOTE=zippyjet] [QUOTE=strifeknot]

We ain't all that bad. Big smile

But I embrace none of those things, and infact, detest them with every fibre of my being.

Never said that. As a matter of fact, my generation the Baby Boomers started the ball rolling. And talk about drugs! I for one tried weed but nothing stronger. I'm naturally high.  Just don't let things get away from you. Political correctness, China style censorship, bad music and taking family and friends for granted can get out of control and a point of no return.
I approve this message.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 8:36pm
This commercial keeps coming on and my dogs farts everytime.    Nasty!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 8:45pm

As a matter of fact, my generation the Baby Boomers started the ball rolling. And talk about drugs! I for one tried weed but nothing stronger. I'm naturally high.  Just don't let things get away from you. Political correctness, China style censorship, bad music and taking family and friends for granted can get out of control and a point of no return.

Just yesterday, Steve Martin got into trouble with the new Puritans for having made some Tweet that was vaguely racial in content.  Like a good boy, he apolgized.  I don't think he even knew what he was apologizing for---but he was told he "offended" someone, so he did the proper white thing and apologized.

That's part of the problem.  People apologizing when they're told to.  The PC brigade needs to be told to f*ck off once in awhile.

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

As a matter of fact, my generation the Baby Boomers started the ball rolling. And talk about drugs! I for one tried weed but nothing stronger. I'm naturally high.  Just don't let things get away from you. Political correctness, China style censorship, bad music and taking family and friends for granted can get out of control and a point of no return.

Just yesterday, Steve Martin got into trouble with the new Puritans for having made some Tweet that was vaguely racial in content.  Like a good boy, he apolgized.  I don't think he even knew what he was apologizing for---but he was told he "offended" someone, so he did the proper white thing and apologized.

That's part of the problem.  People apologizing when they're told to.  The PC brigade needs to be told to f*ck off once in awhile.

ClapClapClap

The PC Police are trying to turn us into China or Russia! Take a look at that young woman who was just released from a Russian Gulag in Siberia because her and her rockers dissed Putin. They did it for good PR for hosting the upcoming Winter Olympics. PC Police Fascism is not a Republican thing, it's not a Democrat thing, it's a toxic mindset that will spell the end of this great nation the United States of America. Thankfully here on this site we can still say what we feel. Sure we have a couple folks who are trying to horn in as PC bullies but F**K them.
I approve this message.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic