Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TrueCar "I don't need to bring a dude with me"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamtreedown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TrueCar "I don't need to bring a dude with me"
    Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 8:02pm
This ad implies women know nothing about cars or buying one. It's so dumb.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 8:33pm
I love this commercial, I love the lady with the coffee cup. Her car would look good in my drive-way.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 9:36pm
She doesn't need to bring a dude with her, but she looks like a dude.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 9:47pm
most girls who use the word "dude" tend to.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 11:09pm
Triple J, I think she looks pretty. Madawee, what you said reminds me of a Family Matters episode where a mysgyonistic car salesman tries to sell Laura a Yugo carinstead of a sportscar(that she really wants), just because she's a woman, but has no problem getting ready to start selling Larry(wink wink) the car. When he finds out Larry is really Laura, he claims he has no problem selling a woman a sports car. He tries to sell Laura the the sports car at a slightly high price, and she pretends to cry until he lowers the price to a much more reasonable price. She says, "Deal," and stops pretending to cry(while the audience cheers for her). Her mother is proud she turned his own mysgyonistic ways against him. :)
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Ken 1802 Ken 1802 wrote:

Triple J, I think she looks pretty. Madawee, what you said reminds me of a Family Matters episode where a mysgyonistic car salesman tries to sell Laura a Yugo carinstead of a sportscar(that she really wants), just because she's a woman, but has no problem getting ready to start selling Larry(wink wink) the car. When he finds out Larry is really Laura, he claims he has no problem selling a woman a sports car. He tries to sell Laura the the sports car at a slightly high price, and she pretends to cry until he lowers the price to a much more reasonable price. She says, "Deal," and stops pretending to cry(while the audience cheers for her). Her mother is proud she turned his own mysgyonistic ways against him. :)

I'm sorry Ken. What the hell are you talking about???
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Whatever. If you are car shopping just make a decision what you want, do some research, and buy it. Female fingers are normally a bit smaller but I think they can still use the internet!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:14am
Sg, Dreamtree(Who I bizzaredly mistakenly called Madawee, who wasn't even on this thread ), said the ad implied women knew nothing about buying cars, so I brought up an episode of Family Matters where a mysgyonistic car sales man obviously thought a woman wouldn't know how to drive a sports car, but had no qualms about trying to sell her male alter ego the same car.
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Sounds like one too
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 7:15pm
It's not that bad of a commercial. My mom recently bought a new car, and she asked me to come with her because she knows nothing about them. She doesn't even know what ABS or a V6 is. All she knows is the right pedal makes you go, and the left one slows you down. Her new car has satellite radio and she doesn't even use it.

"I just want something high up so I can see". Okay mom, let me talk to the dealer...

A lot of women are knowledgeable about cars, but a lot aren't as well. They can feel pretty intimidated buying one if they don't know what they're getting, or if they might be getting taken advantage of.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

I just want something high up so I can see".

Buy her this:

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:04am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Originally posted by Ken 1802 Ken 1802 wrote:

I'm sorry Ken. What the hell are you talking about???
Question

Wacko That was a "mysgyonistic" load of gibberish if ever I saw one.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:18am
I've been treated like the "little lady" several times so now that I'm old, mean, and tough as nails, I just tell the salesman up front: If you want to sell me a car don't treat me like I'm an idiot, and if you do, I will just turn around and walk. When I bought a truck a few years ago that's exactly what I did. They tried to talk me around as I got in my car and drove off. I never even step foot on there lot.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

I just want something high up so I can see".

Buy her this:

LOL

She would fall off just trying to get on.

Bicycle engineering has come a long way, what the hell were they thinking when they designed that?
Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 8:06pm
A few local dealers are marketing themselves as 'woman friendly' in their TV ads. They don't fool anyone, least of all my neighbor Mary who went to test drive a Ford and also got the "little lady" treatment. She did the same as you. She said the salesman kept putting his arm round her shoulders. Ended up buying a Passat. 
SMASHYOURTV999 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMASHYOURTV999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 6:58am
This website is such a joke! Any decent car salesman would tear a woman down if she came in armed only with a piece of paper from a website, and rightfully so! There's a million factors the salesman could bring up, some legitimate and some not.
One example could be if the car model is simply in high demand, adding over $1000 to the price, even if it isn't worth that 'on paper'.
This thing would probably be nothing but ammunition for the salesman. Bring a dude if you have to, you don't want to wind up with a lemon just to be able to say you 'did it by yourself'.
SMASHYOURTV999 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMASHYOURTV999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 8:37pm
Also, by whipping out a printout from this website, you're telling the salesman "I'm in way over my head!"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 11:42pm
Their tune is one of those that takes an air horn to clear from the mind; drives me nuts!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic