Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random things you did today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 146>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:25am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I buy Anco usually, just take a small, flat screwdriver and pry up the little tab.
Hoping to get the sediment to flow out.
Then, I will flush again,  while it is full of water, with the burner going.

Think that tab is what I broke..... dunno. Chunk of plastic landed on the hood after prying too hard.
This guy advises against keeping the gas on during a flush. I do know with an electric water heater, if the 2 heating elements are exposed with no water, they will melt.
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Ha!  We don't have "inspection" here.  We could have no wiper blades and it'd be fine. 
So what's to keep someone driving around with tires about to blow, no turn signal or brake lights, brake shoes with no pad left?Confused
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:57am
We have no inspections here either.

What keeps all that stuff from happening is most people's desire to not get injured or killed in a wreck.

And we don't have smog checks either.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:19am

Plus, we'll get tickets for brake lights, turn signals, etc.  

I got one of these fix-it tickets a few years back.  One of my brake lights was out.  I had no idea...but I was on my way to get smogged at which time I would've watched them drive my car into a port, and seen that my brake light was out.  As luck would have it, I got pulled over on the way to the smog station.  Cost about $7 for the repair and $25 for the ticket.  Grrrrrr.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 2:02am
You'll get a ticket for that kind of thing anywhere.

I got one once for having a headlight out. Thirty five bucks.

Thing is, had I had my high beams on, I wouldn't have gotten the ticket because neither of them was out. But I was trying to be considerate of other drivers, so I had my low beams on, which was what one of was burned out.

As I was approaching a stop light, a cop was pulling out of the parking lot of a Steak & Ale restaurant, saw my headlight out & pulled me over.

And to make it worse, the guy was a real asshole about it.

Probably pissed off because didn't get his meal for free.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 2:23am
We get both inspections and emissions \ smog test every year. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:55pm
Well, I flushed it 11 ways to sunday.
 I've never tried just draining the tank with no water pressure, I opened other hot valves in the house, It would not drain without the valve on, there must be a bunch of crap in there.
I even applied a little air pressure with my compressor, I didn't want to blow anything out.
I can get 90 PSI with my compressor, typical household water pressure is only 10 to 15 PSI.
There might be some sort of back flow valve, I'll read up then try a water hose to backflow the drain valve.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 12:16am
The drain valve - where you hook the garden hose - have you ran a coat hanger wire(or something similar) up that valve?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

The drain valve - where you hook the garden hose - have you ran a coat hanger wire(or something similar) up that valve?
Yeah, I used a long plastic cable tie.
Old Ron has a much more in depth method, I can hook it up to the washing machine hose.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 2:03pm

I do know with an electric water heater, if the 2 heating elements are exposed with no water, they will melt.

Seems like you could just trip the breaker at the fuse box & turn the power off first.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:39pm
^Yep, I know more about electric appliances and can fix some of them.

Listening to 'Lampshades on Fire'. If you don't tap your toe with this song you have no soul left.

The water heater is holding steady, It's the heater in the garage I am still struggling with.
I already have plan B in place, a space heater focused on the door by the water pipe.
The threshhold is 4 inches above the patio concrete, this is a high traffic area for equipment as well as the dog. Trash cans, wheelbarrow, lawn mower all go over this piece that is supposed to ensure a sure seal at the bottom of the door.
It's f**king cold here without a lot of relief in sight.

i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:46pm
Worst case, you could leave a faucet on a slow drip. Not ideal of course, but works in a pinch.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:42pm
^ Trying to ride it out, spring will be here sometime.
I feel better having a temp above freezing, as a last resort I will let a stream run.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I do know with an electric water heater, if the 2 heating elements are exposed with no water, they will melt.

Seems like you could just trip the breaker at the fuse box & turn the power off first.
Of course. You would never flush an electric heater while power is still on.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Yeah, I used a long plastic cable tie.
Old Ron has a much more in depth method, I can hook it up to the washing machine hose.

You're confusing me. If that valve is clear, water will run out regardless of turning on faucets. Turning on house faucets helps get air outta the system.
re: the heater in the garage. If you haven't already, wrap one of those heater blankets around it. Installing a water heater in an unheated garage makes no sense in a frigid climate.

In other news. Went to Home Depot to get another shower stem socket set, hoping my 1 3/32" one is just worn out. It's slipping on the stem nut. Next one under is 1 1/32" which is too small. Can't find anyone that sells an 1 1/8" deep well socket in a set, much less separately.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 9:34pm
I had a fun time taking the dog outside and yelling at these ahole fisherman.
I saw him taking a piss in public,
"Who the f**k do you think you are, worthless mother f**kers coming into my backyard."
"I'll call the f**kin cops on you." It's happened once already..
Wimpy responce, "Im sorry" f**k you, I should let my dog loose on you.
I think I called them xxxx boys as we left.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 10:57am
Christ, am I going to get booted before I finish my post, again?
I back flushed the water heater yesterday, same result, it will not gravity drain.
I  messed up the drain valve, it was leaking at the stem, I took it apart and it sealed back up again.
I had to relite the pilot again this morning, Confused

The garage heater decided it was going to work today so I'm warming it up, Mamas truck needs cleaning and I spilled a little bit of her hot fudge sundae on the console.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:10pm
Back on water heater duty today, now I know I've fked up the drain valve.
As soon as Menards opens, I'm going to get a replacement drain valve and, as Ron Hazleton suggested, a short nipple with a ball valve.
This will let me really jab something in there and still catch most of the water.
'sigh'
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 1:07pm
Do we really need to hear all this talk about nipples & balls & jabbing something in there?

Hmmmmm?

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Do we really need to hear all this talk about nipples & balls & jabbing something in there?

Hmmmmm?

Embarrassed
 Didn't mean to make you blush, big guy.

Here's the inside story of Daisy Dyke, my very HOT water heater. Tongue

She was not clogged, I saw no tell tale signs of sediment when I had it apart.

The fact is, opening hot water valves thoughout the house (DOES NOT) eliminate the vacuum.
I finally just opened the relief valve and it drained quickly.

I messed up the little rubber thing on this valve when I tried to get it back together.

If I do get sediment buildup, now I can clear it easily.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 4:06pm
Got up.

Watching TV.

Turned on my phone watched The Daily Show.

Faloon is on me now.

I got Faloon of me ate Rasin Nut Bran with milk.

Ate a Berry Oreo.

Brushed my teeth.

That's pretty much it.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 4:10pm
Damn there's plenty of double entendre in that diagram LOL 

I'm not sure which is most suggestive - the dip tube, the dripleg, the discharge pipe, or the sacrificial anal .. err I mean anode rod.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 4:22pm
LOLLOL
The boat has a sacrificial anode too,  hubba hubba.  Evil Smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:17pm
Had to go across the street & break up a "cat-frontation". Never evolved into a full-on fight, but they were up in each others' faces yowling at one another at a very high volume.

Started out on the front porch of the next door neighbors of George's (one of the cats) owners. The young gal who lives there opened up the door & very nicely kind of frightened them away, but they just went to the front porch of the next house & started right back up again.

So, I said screw this, put on my flip flops, went across the street & approached them from up the driveway at an angle that I knew would cause George to run back towards his own yard while the other cat hauled ass back towards his in the opposite direction.

Had to keep following George whilst clapping my hands in order to get him all the way back to his own yard.

So far, so good. Still quiet & no fur has flown.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:23pm

Most of the time, yowling is as far as it goes.  And then there's that slo-mo dance that they do around each other.  Happened with Mickey yesterday when another cat came into the yard.  I just got between the two, and let the other cat escape through the escape portal I built into my fence a few years ago.  Then I diistracted Mickey with "Treats!!".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 146>
  Share Topic