Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random things you did today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 146>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:07pm
Convoluted or not....thats just the way we roll around here.
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Been tackling the junk in my closets.  Right now, I'm sorting through boxes of old paperwork--stuff from the 80s and 90s, stuff I should've gotten rid of years ago.  I actually found pay stubs from the 70s.  Confused

Problem is, there's always a few things I might wanna keep, so I'm looking through all of it.

You're as bad as my grandma, man.Wink She left a 4 drawer file cabinet chock full of ancient bank statements, tax returns, cancelled checks, etc. We burned up a paper shredder shredding it all up. It got so bad we just started looking to see if the dates were 2000 and earlier, it went straight into the shredder.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 12:30am

Yeah.  I always think that as soon as I toss something, I'm gonna need it.  I can't recall that that's actually ever happened, though.  LOL

So, into boxes this stuff goes.  And out of sight, out of mind.  Until I decide to tackle it.  Then I need to look at it all before I actually get rid of it.  Just in case.  LOL

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 8:00pm
My proposed new lyrics for this song as I depart with an old rusty friend.

One less,  (ins) bill to answer.
One less, registration to buy.
One less car to clean, out now. No more dog hair, no more nose prints! No more, good place, to lock up the dog!!!! 

One less, stain on my garage floor.
One less, oil change to do.
Since she left, I can put my truck inside!
I should be happy, but all I do is smile while I take my check to the bank and say, bye bye.
No more warning lights to answer. 

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 8:13pm
When I called to ask Charter why I could not record on my brand new Hd recievers, I got a little pissed.

She said, "It's 10 bucks more a month to record." That's not bad , go ahead.

"Well ,you'll need to exchange your recievers."  What!

The place is about an hour from here so I may eventually exchange one of them.

Then she said, "We'll have to verify with your wife since the account is in her name"  This really bugs me.

I was in a pretty good mood so I said thanks for nothing and figured out I could upgrade from the remote at home.

HBO and Cinemax are keeping me commercial free today.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:37pm
Big smileWent out and snatched a bottle of 'Gorilla Wood Glue' from the local hardware store.
Set a favorite chair arm with it.
The stuff is GREAT, sure seems 'permament with no joking' - but I'll defer from dropping it into the RECOMMENDED/NOT RECOMMENDED forum until TIZzer comments on any 'down-side', should he read this...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 11:25pm
Gorilla Glue and Tape are made here right in Cincy.  I quit buying duck tape a long time ago.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Gorilla Glue and Tape are made here right in Cincy.  I quit buying duck tape a long time ago.
ConfusedCryRIGHT WHEN I WAS ABOUT TO BRAG EVEN MORE ABOUT 'GORILLA WOOD GLUE', THE CHAIR ARM CAME APART WITH A SIMPLE TUG!
Until I figure out how I screwed up, this stuff just became 'Cincy Chump Chimp Glue'...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 1:10am

I had this formica edging on my kitchen counter that kept trying to peel away from the surface beneath it.  I tried various glues with limited success.  It's been years now, and whatever I last used seems to have succeeded.  In fact, this glue talk just made me realize I haven't had to deal with the formica issue in years.

Damned if I can remember what it was I used.  Coulda been Gorilla Glue.  Coulda been Crazy Glue.  Coulda been Elmer's.  Coulda been anything.  Coulda just been magic, for all I know.  

Sorry for not being any help at all.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 1:14am

I quit buying duck tape a long time ago.

I probably used 50 feet of it last summer, taping and retaping a cracked garden hose till I could get my ass over to Lowe's to get a $1.29 repair kit.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I had this formica edging on my kitchen counter that kept trying to peel away from the surface beneath it.  I tried various glues with limited success.  It's been years now, and whatever I last used seems to have succeeded.  In fact, this glue talk just made me realize I haven't had to deal with the formica issue in years.
Damned if I can remember what it was I used.  Coulda been Gorilla Glue.  Coulda been Crazy Glue.  Coulda been Elmer's.  Coulda been anything.  Coulda just been magic, for all I know.  

Sorry for not being any help at all.

The best glue to use on Formica or any other brand of laminate is contact cement.

That's what they use in cabinet shops.

They spray it on with paint sprayers, but for home use, you can use a brush. Put a coat on each surface, let it tack up, then put them together. Roll it down with a roller of some kind like a rolling pin.

You'll never get them apart.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 2:25am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

ConfusedCryRIGHT WHEN I WAS ABOUT TO BRAG EVEN MORE ABOUT 'GORILLA WOOD GLUE', THE CHAIR ARM CAME APART WITH A SIMPLE TUG!
Until I figure out how I screwed up, this stuff just became 'Cincy Chump Chimp Glue'...

Did you follow the directions, Pa?

You have to dampen one (possibly both) of the surfaces with water first.

The thing I didn't like about that stuff was that it expands when it dries.

You really have to clamp the two pieces together tight & even then it will expand out the side of the joint.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 3:05am
Got my garden planted earlier this week. Even though it's only about a 10' x 10' space, just prepping the ground took me two days of exhausting work digging out the old bamboo clumps under the ground.

Here are a couple of pics of the clumps I dug up in just that one small area...

Those are two tables next to each other, both covered in stumps.

The back two clumps in the bottom pic are the two big "bowling balls". The long horizontal things are the "rhizomes" or runners that spread out for long distances then sprout new shoots that form new clumps etc., etc., etc. 

You can see the old poles that I cut at ground level over a year ago. Everything you see was completely underneath the ground.

These pics were taken after I sprayed out all the dirt that was stuck in between the roots with the hose nozzle jet stream.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 3:28am
Happened to look out my front door this morning & saw what I thought were several white plastic grocery bags or maybe big, billowy sheets of some kind of white, lightweight tissue paper blowing in the breeze down the middle of the street.

Got up to have a look & saw that a large group of white cranes were flying in & landing in the yard across the street, then walking around pecking at something in the grass. One of them must've reported to the group that there was a bug or earthworm buffet to be had there.

Anyway, I dug around for my cameras... then had to screw around with putting the batteries in, then get my shoes on etc., etc., figuring the entire while, that by the time I got outside to take some pics, they'd all be gone.

Finally I got my sh*t together, got out there & sure enough, the yard across the street where I saw them was empty & they'd all gone.

Pissed but not surprised, I turned to go inside when, lo & behold I saw that they'd just moved to my side of the street & were in the yard next door.

So I took some video & some stills.

Pretty cool.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:00am

Very cool.  Occasionally (well, rarely), I see herons around here.  Must be like 4 ft tall.

Also, occasionally see another large bird perched on my neighbors' shed.  I've gone over and scared them away.  They're there for my neighbs' koi fish.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:15am
I've had a big ol heron in my back yard before too.

He used to visit every once in awhile.

I also get an occasional hawk, too.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:22am

I heard a squealing sound one day, and looked out my window to see a hawk laying on it's stomach, wings spread.  I went out there to check it out, and saw it had a small bird trapped underneath himself.  I scared him away.  The small bird then flew up into my tree, where he stayed for quite awhile before flying off.  Musta been freaked out.

I couldn't tell if the squealing sound I heard was coming from the hawk or his prey.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:24am
Every time I see one around here, I begin worrying about small pets outside.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:37am

I once looked out a window of the SF Financial District building where I worked, and saw some sort of condor flying down the street at about eye level to me (I was on the 3rd floor).  Very odd to see such a huge bird (must've had a 4-foot wingspan) flying between 30-story buildings.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:48am
Probably some sort of updraft they enjoyed.

I saw an interesting documentary about a hawk that had built a nest on the ledge of a Manhattan apartment building right across the street from Central Park.

Had several mates & raised babies there for several years.

C'mon, man!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:46am
I remember seeing the TV special PBS made about that.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 8:00am

The cranes are migrating, I saw an Egret (white crane) just yesterday and the Heron cranes are all over farm fields.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:32pm
I had a wild hair and a plan worked out in my head. I've been jacking my dock up...Big smile I've separated the upper and lower decks.
I took my floor jack out there about 10 this morning just to see how things would go.
The whole 32 ft span came up in one piece.  This really is half the battle.
I can see clearly now any cuts I need to make. Once I move the stone out of the way gravity will help move things into place.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:35pm
Or you could just leave it the way it is.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 8:10pm
Now that I have started it. I have to do it.
Boat goes in the water soon. No time to waste.
Gives me a chance to buy some new tools.
It's raining now, I'll get back to it tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 146>
  Share Topic