Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meineke - "Brakedance"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meineke - "Brakedance"
    Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 10:11pm
I wouldn't actually say I hate this one, I just find it mildly annoying.  Features a cute little kid in a Meineke's uniform raving about how the company's service is so good, it deserves a "brakedance" (*groaaaaaaaaaaan*).  What bugs me about the commercial, aside from the bad joke and the somewhat stupid premise, is that it's anachronistic - breakdancing (which they are obviously referencing here) was a product of the 1980s, not the disco era, and the dance moves, disco balls and music in the background are so obviously late 1970s disco era.  Breakdancing and disco dancing (at least late '70s disco dancing) are NOT the same thing.  And the kid isn't even that good a dancer, but here he is acting like he's the second coming of Michael Jackson.

I would have liked this commercial a lot more if they had the kid do some actual 1980s breakdance moves, or found a kid who could do them.

Here's the spot on ispot.tv: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/72aN/meineke-break-dancing

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 10:53pm

Normally, I'd say that depictions of previous eras rarely get it right.  They either end up looking like caricatures of the era, or they're just plain wrong.

But, in this case, it's so damned low-budget, that we're lucky they got the century right.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by ChrisInMI ChrisInMI wrote:

I wouldn't actually say I hate this one, I just find it mildly annoying.  Features a cute little kid in a Meineke's uniform raving about how the company's service is so good, it deserves a "brakedance" (*groaaaaaaaaaaan*).  What bugs me about the commercial, aside from the bad joke and the somewhat stupid premise, is that it's anachronistic - breakdancing (which they are obviously referencing here) was a product of the 1980s, not the disco era, and the dance moves, disco balls and music in the background are so obviously late 1970s disco era.  Breakdancing and disco dancing (at least late '70s disco dancing) are NOT the same thing.  And the kid isn't even that good a dancer, but here he is acting like he's the second coming of Michael Jackson.

I would have liked this commercial a lot more if they had the kid do some actual 1980s breakdance moves, or found a kid who could do them.

Here's the spot on ispot.tv: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/72aN/meineke-break-dancing

How does this happen? I had never seen this commercial. Less than 1 hour of it being posted in CIH it aired! I have seen it at least 6 more times. It is mercifully short and the little guy is cute but is not breakdancing. Maybe he is actually "brakedancing"!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 6:46pm
Brakedancing????    All that kid did was jump around a little.  Dumb. 
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 7:35pm
The music has no harmony at all, it just sounds like electronic noise. Ugh.

I was hoping to hear something familiar like disco or maybe 80s hip hop SOMETHING but no! I get this crap!

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
susanlynn7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susanlynn7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 11:11am
I cannot stand this ad. I hate when that little kid does that thing at the end of his dance where he puts his hands to his chest and then throws them outward. I don't know why but it really gets on my last nerve.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 3:53pm

Lord almighty!  I just read that this kid is 10 y/o motivational speaker, and he's actually appeared with such celebs as Beyonce, Barack Obama and Josh Groban.

And he has "brittle bone disease", lending a new meaning to "breakdancing".

DBVAUSA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBVAUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 9:32pm
Personally I don't think the kid is cute at all.  And I agree, that move where he thumps his chest and then move his hands out...stupid and annoying.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 12:31am
Originally posted by DBVAUSA DBVAUSA wrote:

Personally I don't think the kid is cute at all.  And I agree, that move where he thumps his chest and then move his hands out...stupid and annoying.

Pathetic!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Lorax724 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorax724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 9:59am
There's an amazing video he starred in called, "kid president" (go look it up on YouTube) to which this commercial is referencing.
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 7:38pm
It could almost be considered cute if the damn kid could could actually dance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic