Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verizon Reality Check

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Verizon Reality Check
    Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 4:16am

I hate this commercial, but I think what really puts it over the edge is that damn hashtag. Seriously, just stop with the f**king hashtags in commercials already!! And the only reality check would be when people find out that those god damn smartphones really don't matter in life and they stop wasting hundreds of dollars on them each year and neglecting their necessities for that garbage. These things are also a big reason why everyone lives life in the fast lane instead of slowing down and stop being impatient over anything that moves slower than the speed of light.
Sponsored Links

DemonicMelodies View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DemonicMelodies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 7:59pm

The people in these commercials sicken me. Spoiled rotten by the speed in which new technology is made available and wireless networks get faster, and they can't have anything less. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which by cell phone standards is like running Windows 3.1 and using America Online 4.0 on a 28.8k modem. And I don't even pay for the 4G on it. I use the wifi at home when I'm too lazy to get in front of the computer, and live without the web all together when I'm not home. And I'm fine!

People are dumb.
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:11am
THANK YOU!!! *hits thanks*

Actually, the only reason the internet has really gotten slower is because of all the new flashy ads and the fact that web created don't bother to compress their data as much as they used to. e.g. using PNG instead of JPG and many other things.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:25am
As I said before I got a 'dumb phone' from 2008. It's a flip open phone that can also swivel. I've filled the memory with pictures and sounds. It's a Samsung and it's a Verizon. Oh and it's red.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:33am
I wasn't against cell phones until 85% of the population got so obsessed with these buggers that it's such a sick obsession. People can't leave it go for one second. No, you don't need to have it plastered to your body. You can live without it! I don't even have a dumb phone, I don't own any type of cell phone and people ask me all the time how can I possibly live? Well, my answer is simple. I live just as well as I did 15 years ago. Messages and phone calls can wait. If I'm out enjoying myself, don't be disturbing me! So many people chalk it up to emergencies, well, 99% of phone conversations aren't emergencies. Facebook and Twitter aren't emergencies either. I think a big part of it is so people can build up their ego which I don't understand how that works anymore since so many people own smartphones now that it's not a big deal at all to own one. That's probably why people have to upgrade all the time, to be better than everyone else. Nice little scam cell phone makers and companies have going on, don't you think?
Tom Servo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tom Servo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 1:34pm
!Tommy, I agree with you totally.  Like you, I've never had a cell phone, and I don't want one.  I am constantly having to justify this to people, and I use the same reasoning - I did fine without one before they were invented, and I can do fine without one now.

I wrote up the below paragraphs yesterday, but refrained from posting because I am not one to get into internet squabbles, and I know this may offend cell phone junkies, but I've decided to share it today, to express my thoughts on it.  So here goes:

I really hate what cell phones have done to our society.  Yes, I understand the useful merits they have (calling for help when the car breaks down, etc...) but I think the harm they have caused far outweighs the good they have done.  There is no such thing as being alone with someone anymore - even when on a date.  Back during my dating life, more than one girl I dated commenced to answer her phone while in my car, or in my living room, or in the restaurant booth, etc... and talk to other guys right in front of me.  How freakin' rude do you have to be?  And that's just one example of the rudeness and lack of patience that these devices have perpetuated in our society.

Sit in a doctor's waiting room and have a look around.  I'm always the only one in there that's not nose-down, thumbing around on a phone.  Must people be entertained all the time?  Slow down and enjoy some relaxing solitude, for cryin' out loud!

Go to any supermarket and you'll find someone blocking an aisle, not paying any attention to people that need to get by them, because they are so wrapped up in their completely meaningless and unimportant conversation that just COULDN'T wait!  Meanwhile their undisciplined children are running around wreaking havoc.

Watch people order at any fast food place, and invariably there will always be one person that never hangs up from the time time they walk in the door, until they leave with the bags of food.

Sit at a red light and watch the cars that cross the intersection if front of you.  Count how many of them are talking on or otherwise fooling around with their phones.  It's downright scary.  These people are taking your life in their hands.

I'll probably be lambasted by the cell phone junkies for that rant, but I just call it like I see it.  Are cell phones helpful?  Yes.  Are they hurtful?  More & more everyday!!!  Again, I don't discount the merits - it's the constant abuse that I abhor.

- - End Rant - -

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it? -Albert Einstein
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:37pm

^  Same thoughts here...but I finally broke down when I noticed that pay phones were becoming fewer and farther between, and got one a few years ago.  A GoPhone---cheapest, most basic phone there is.  I'm on a plan in which I put in $25 (for 100 minutes) every three months.  It'd be something if I used more than $5 worth in those three months.  It helps that I don't readily give the number out and that people know I don't like to use it.  I keep it for emergencies, and once in awhile when I have to meet up with someone.

Cell phone people, especially younger ones, seem really scattered and easily distracted to me.  Any conversation I might be having with them is one I always have to expect will be interrupted at any given moment.  And they often are.  Sometimes, I've been tempted---while they're in my presence---to call them on their cell phones so that they're more "there".  That's one of my main gripes.  But mostly, I just don't want to be so reachable.

!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Tom Servo Tom Servo wrote:

!Tommy, I agree with you totally.  Like you, I've never had a cell phone, and I don't want one.  I am constantly having to justify this to people, and I use the same reasoning - I did fine without one before they were invented, and I can do fine without one now.

I wrote up the below paragraphs yesterday, but refrained from posting because I am not one to get into internet squabbles, and I know this may offend cell phone junkies, but I've decided to share it today, to express my thoughts on it.  So here goes:

I really hate what cell phones have done to our society.  Yes, I understand the useful merits they have (calling for help when the car breaks down, etc...) but I think the harm they have caused far outweighs the good they have done.  There is no such thing as being alone with someone anymore - even when on a date.  Back during my dating life, more than one girl I dated commenced to answer her phone while in my car, or in my living room, or in the restaurant booth, etc... and talk to other guys right in front of me.  How freakin' rude do you have to be?  And that's just one example of the rudeness and lack of patience that these devices have perpetuated in our society.

Sit in a doctor's waiting room and have a look around.  I'm always the only one in there that's not nose-down, thumbing around on a phone.  Must people be entertained all the time?  Slow down and enjoy some relaxing solitude, for cryin' out loud!

Go to any supermarket and you'll find someone blocking an aisle, not paying any attention to people that need to get by them, because they are so wrapped up in their completely meaningless and unimportant conversation that just COULDN'T wait!  Meanwhile their undisciplined children are running around wreaking havoc.

Watch people order at any fast food place, and invariably there will always be one person that never hangs up from the time time they walk in the door, until they leave with the bags of food.

Sit at a red light and watch the cars that cross the intersection if front of you.  Count how many of them are talking on or otherwise fooling around with their phones.  It's downright scary.  These people are taking your life in their hands.

I'll probably be lambasted by the cell phone junkies for that rant, but I just call it like I see it.  Are cell phones helpful?  Yes.  Are they hurtful?  More & more everyday!!!  Again, I don't discount the merits - it's the constant abuse that I abhor.

- - End Rant - -

You are now my best friend! :D

I don't really need a cell phone because rarely do I do much traveling away from home, most of my driving is around town or just in the outskirts of it. As for Facebook, I'm rarely on it and nobody has anything to say on there that would certainly make me want to interrupt my day to look at. In fact I really hate Facebook because it's more like Bragbook or Fakebook. As for talking, I have an answering machine at home so if you want to talk to me, call and leave a message. I'll get back to you! But having to hear people's annoying ringtones all the time when you go out somewhere and then someone starting to talk loud on their cell phones...it's so rude and ignorant. My girlfriend feels the same way about cell phones as I do and will not get a smartphone which I'm so thankful for otherwise we'd be having a little talk. So really, like you, the reason I hate them is because of what they have done to society. In fact I saw a picture on Facebook that made me sick....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=622215801133693&set=a.229914147030529.58341.221935117828432&type=1&theater

Really? Do you realize how stupid that looks? I think these spoiled brats need a reality check. I think it just adds to the laziness of people if anything. And like you too, I don't like internet squabbles because people like to act tough because they can hide their faces so they don't have to face a person, but usually I detect these people and rip them apart by stating cold far facts and common sense and usually they have no idea what to say to that. My thing is, if you're going to play, you better get ready to play because I play hard core and I rarely lose.

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  Same thoughts here...but I finally broke down when I noticed that pay phones were becoming fewer and farther between, and got one a few years ago.  A GoPhone---cheapest, most basic phone there is.  I'm on a plan in which I put in $25 (for 100 minutes) every three months.  It'd be something if I used more than $5 worth in those three months.  It helps that I don't readily give the number out and that people know I don't like to use it.  I keep it for emergencies, and once in awhile when I have to meet up with someone.

Cell phone people, especially younger ones, seem really scattered and easily distracted to me.  Any conversation I might be having with them is one I always have to expect will be interrupted at any given moment.  And they often are.  Sometimes, I've been tempted---while they're in my presence---to call them on their cell phones so that they're more "there".  That's one of my main gripes.  But mostly, I just don't want to be so reachable.

And if you really need it for that purpose, that's fine. I don't have any issues with that. But when you get these people that are like, "We're bored when we wait so....why not use them? :3 <3" I'd like to smack those kinds of people. There is a thing called daydreaming and I love doing that a lot. It's my time to think and really think about my thoughts and emotions. But instead people would like to get to the next level in that useless game called Candy Crush (never ever touched the game and never will). But the people today have just turned into mindless drones that their bodies just have to reach for their phones at any given time. Why even call them phones anymore? It's so irrelevant. Why not call them mini computers or micro computers? Or is that too stupid of a name for your smartphone? I do approve of the saying "Smart phones, stupid people." There's a lot of that these days. But there is nothing that turns me off more than seeing someone with their two thumbs on a idiot touch screen and their face looking down as if they're looking at something *ahem* on their body.

Tom Servo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Servo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:21pm
Thanks, !Tommy.  I also do not have issue with people that use phones in the manner that Thor does.  If I'm ever *gulp* forced to get a phone by some circumstance in the future, that is what I will do, too - a "pay as you go" deal that I will hardly ever use, and only my immediate family will have the number.

I also still have an answering machine at my house and it more than gets the job done for me.  The message will be there when I get home, and if they didn't leave a message, then it wasn't that important to begin with.

Funny side story:  last year I went to the Philippines and back twice without a phone.  When going through the security checkpoints the TSA kept saying, "Please place your cell phones in the tray!"  When I was told to do so I mentioned that I did not have a phone and I thought I was going to get pulled out of line for the secondary scrutiny for being such an oddball.  Haha!
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it? -Albert Einstein
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:26pm

Thing is, I've had it for three years and have never had any of those "emergencies" that I bought it for (I was imagining my car breaking down somewhere).  Nevertheless, I have to always remember the thing when I go anywhere---just in case.  It's really been more a nuisance than anything else.

!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:37pm

Thing is, I've had it for three years and have never had any of those "emergencies" that I bought it for (I was imagining my car breaking down somewhere).  Nevertheless, I have to always remember the thing when I go anywhere---just in case.  It's really been more a nuisance than anything else.

That and having to keep plugging it in. I work in a motel and people ALWAYS leave their chargers plugged into the wall with nothing on the end of them and I hate that because the cords are just laying there on the floor for you to trip and break your neck on and we've even vacuumed a few up (black cords on dark carpet don't mix well). So now if there's nothing on them, I don't care where it is in the room, I unplug them and place it on the bed or whatever is nearest to that plug. How much effort is it to pull the damn thing out of the wall anyway?! It is a nuisance because of all that is tied with it (remembering to take it, charging it, not losing it, keeping up with the bills, etc). And the biggest tiff of all....

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON QR CODES!!!!

I despise those f**king little monochromic crossword puzzles pasted on everything you buy or see advertised now. They looks so stupid and never once did I ever see anyone scan one of those buggers. They just look stupid.
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:43pm
Here's a reality check for these dolts that really ought to happen more often:

There are obstacles everywhere you go when you're out in public, dumbass.  So you might wanna go ahead watch where the f**k you're going instead of adhering to your phone fetish. 
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:52pm

If you called someone you were trying to converse with face to face they would probably think it was normal. About 5 years back a friend at work told me the previous evening his teenage Daughter invited 2 of her girlfriends to watch a movie. He found all 3 of them sitting on the sofa. They were texting while ignoring the movie. He looked closer and realized they were texting each other! We are doomed!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Here's a reality check for these dolts that really ought to happen more often:

There are obstacles everywhere you go when you're out in public, dumbass.  So you might wanna go ahead watch where the f**k you're going instead of adhering to your phone fetish. 

Your posts never cease to amaze me and make me laugh Big smile

Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

If you called someone you were trying to converse with face to face they would probably think it was normal. About 5 years back a friend at work told me the previous evening his teenage Daughter invited 2 of her girlfriends to watch a movie. He found all 3 of them sitting on the sofa. They were texting while ignoring the movie. He looked closer and realized they were texting each other! We are doomed!

This is just sick, sad, and stupid. What happened to actual face conversations? Do you need to text until your fingers bleed? But really, I think people think this is a cool thing. I can text the person sitting next to me!! Well, it's pathetic! Honestly, I wish a solar flare would strike knocking out all cell phone service and electronics. It's a terrible, horrible thing to think about...but honest to God it would make people use the minds and not rely on that garbage all the time. With all these smartphones, touchscreens, and texting...makes you wonder if it's a fetish of some sort. Dead
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:08pm
^^ The Wayans Brothers parodied that asininity when they wrote this scene from Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinkin' Your Juice In the Hood.  Mind you, this was back in the 90's so it's pagers instead of texts, but it's the same general ridiculousness (and obviously in the movie done for the laughs):

Tom Servo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Servo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:45pm
That fountain video is hilarious and yet extremely sad at the same time.  In it the guy mentions an app that will allow you to see in front of you with the camera while texting - just so you can avoid situations like this.  Sheesh!  That's just enabling the stupidity instead of addressing the real problem.  And then the lady at the desk says, "We've all had some sort of a mishap while texting, haven't we?"

NO! .... No, lady, we haven't!

The lady that fell into the fountain - instead of being embarrassed and vowing to change her oblivious ways, she probably scrambled to make sure her precious phone was okay.
CorporateGreed View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CorporateGreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:53pm
I have an iPhone 5 and I honestly don't see what's the point of switching to Verizon and paying a sh*tload more a month for speed that isn't any more faster. 
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Tom Servo Tom Servo wrote:

That fountain video is hilarious and yet extremely sad at the same time.  In it the guy mentions an app that will allow you to see in front of you with the camera while texting - just so you can avoid situations like this.  Sheesh!  That's just enabling the stupidity instead of addressing the real problem.  And then the lady at the desk says, "We've all had some sort of a mishap while texting, haven't we?"

NO! .... No, lady, we haven't!

The lady that fell into the fountain - instead of being embarrassed and vowing to change her oblivious ways, she probably scrambled to make sure her precious phone was okay.

Why the hell do you have to text and walk at the same time anyway?! Have we gone down the crapper so far that we can't even wait to respond to a message about fishing or what you're going to do that weekend? I wish texting would just go away, I hate it.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:02pm
Here's another one.... "♫ I got Ver-iiiiiiiii-zon ♫" .... ahhhhhh shaddap!

!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Here's another one.... "♫ I got Ver-iiiiiiiii-zon ♫" .... ahhhhhh shaddap!

All these people were absent the day brains were handed out.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by !Tommy !Tommy wrote:

I wish texting would just go away, I hate it.
Tommy, While I generally agree with some of your points, you do seem to be rather all or nothing with this stuff.

My mother is severely hearing-impaired, and even the best combination of hearing apparatus (Short of an implant) and strong phone still doesn't do much for her understanding phone conversations. Without texting we'd be totally unable to discuss things and make plans.

I mean, I hate plenty of things to-day, but even so I cannot deny that they have their implementations that make them useful and even life-saving. But It's the people that use this stuff for mundane reasons I dislike.

Again, I'm often in the same boat, but come on Tommy, if you spend all your time hating every single little thing that's new...what kind of life is that? Just remember that all these things have the potential for being good. Hate the misuse, not the existence.

Then again, maybe I'm just softening because someone has made sure that every single post of theirs complains about phones or tablets or texting, or touch-screen, or the internet, or...etc. Wink
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 2:55am
Well, it's this way. I wouldn't be against half this stuff so badly if people would stop obsessing with it. I go out and see so many people that cannot let go of their devices for five seconds. People can't seem to interact with each other anymore unless it's through a mobile device. And here's another reason why I hate it so much. When I was growing up, I loved computers. Because I did, I was deemed a nerd and a geek. So all of a sudden now that these mini pocket computers come out and people who have to upgrade them ALL the flippin time, it's perfectly acceptable. When did it become acceptable to be on the computer all the time and not be a nerd? I don't get it. 

As for your mother, that's a totally acceptable and reasonable to use texting. I just get so fed up that people use this all the time and you can't even look at the TV or anything else without it being shoved in your face. Can't it just exist and call it good? Does it have to be hyped up this much even though it's at least 5+ year old technology? And as you said, I hate the misuse but I'm very bad at making people misunderstand me. Like I went to a party for my uncle a week ago and everyone there had some sort of partner they were with and at least half of them were on their damn phones instead of being with each other. That's disgusting. Why not visit with each other instead of worrying about people who aren't there with you? But I won't go on about that. 

And of course, I do like the internet but I try not spending all my time on it. I just with that the overabuse with technology would just stop already. I know a lot of people (for real) that scam the welfare system because they can't afford to buy food or things they need but they sure can go out and buy new smartphones all the time and all this other stuff for pleasure while we paid for their necessities. It makes me very upset because I have to work for stuff I want and these types of people just buy it because they want it so we pay for the rest of their stuff. I know a girl who claimed both her daughters were disabled and so she gets disability checks for them...so what does she do? Goes out and gets a brand new computer and the most expensive cable package you can with all the channels, plus internet and phone....but...she doesn't have a job! She worked 2 days in her whole life and she's 40. She doesn't want to get up early because she wants to party all night, she doesn't want to take care of her kids...she's a lazy bitch. But she sits texting on the smartphone all day....so yeah....you can see why my hatred of these things is out of control.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic