Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's nice we are having weather today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 175>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:35am
Round 1!

It's brutal out there, probably about 5 inches so far.
Windy with a balmy 15 degrees. My fingers and feet got cold.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 2:04pm
It rained for over 24 hours straight here yesterday.

Started raining Saturday night, rained non-stop all day yesterday and didn't stop until early this morning.

Now it's all soppy and sloppy outside.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 6:08pm
Round 2!      

It's a good idea to wait for the plow to come through before I do the final clean-up of the driveway.  I'm beat! I'm not sure how much we got as of noon o'clock. About 7 inches or so.  The piles at the end of the driveway are about 4 feet tall.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 2:39pm

Wind Chill Warning

...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND LOW WIND CHILLS EXPECTED TODAY... .A fresh surge of bitterly cold air will push into the area today. Gusty west winds accompanying the arctic air will produce blowing and drifting snow, especially on north to south oriented roads in rural areas. Dangerously cold weather is expected tonight through mid-day Thursday, with wind chills in the 35 to 55 below zero range. ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS EVENING... ...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON CST THURSDAY...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 5:18pm
It's 54 right now...but it will get to 28 by tomorrow morning - we are supposed to be 1% that doesn't get the deep freeze
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:31am
-15 is the air temp. -35 is the Wind Chill.  I had to find my old Long Johns just to feel comfortable in the house.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:08pm
44 outside....brrrr! My nipples almost froze when I ran down the drive in just my basketball shorts to pick up the newspaper.
The AfgyLad is at The Den and tells me it is a brisk -20 and it is too treacherous to even try and drive out to civilization - he got stranded out there turning on the water to keep the faucets dripping, but he has food & beer for a week, so I hear.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:41pm
This place was built in 94, I think they design things for some of the extreme weather we get here.  All of the plumbing is in the inside walls. Nothing (accept wiring and heating ducts) runs through an exterior wall.  I had plenty of frozen pipes in Indiana, those were older and more modest homes to begin with.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:13pm
I should say...There is one pipe I still worry about.  The garage has a big gas heater that, when it was working, kept it (the entire 3 car garage) at about 37 degrees.  The lowest setting on the thermostat.
 Being the tight ass I've turned into, I've not been willing to get it fixed or pay for it running all winter long.

I have the sender for a remote thermometer hanging right next to the pipe.  I use a space heater to keep the pipe warm.  There is probably a valve in the crawlspace to shut it off...If I weren't so freaking handicapped and pissed about the city filling in my crawlspace I might go down there and check.

With all of the traffic in and out of the door, the snow is not even melting off of the snowblower because the door won't shut tight.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:22pm
I've about had it with this sh*t! The low was 24 below this morning, minus 40 Wind Chill. My truck started up OK. I can't believe it because it has the original battery, 12 plus years old.  I have slow leaks in all 4 tires, it's been a few days since I've checked them.

The compressor is just like an internal combustion engine without the fuel and fire. It has a crankcase with oil as a lubricant. Oil turns into molasses at these temperatures. Even with more normal temperatures, the compressor draws a lot of amps. I have two 4 foot double shop lights over each stall. 4 of them are on the same circuit that I plug into the wall.  With the space heater plugged in, these 3 things will trip the 15 Amp breaker.

The splitter is just a big electric motor connected to a hydraulic pump.  The fluid is much like motor oil, it gets much thicker (viscosity) with colder ambient temperatures. It's whining and taking a few seconds to get up to operating speed.  OH!  And we're both happy we don't have to take a dog outside in the middle of the night anymore!  Looking forward to a break in this crapola weather.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:25pm
Yeah, we're suffering down here too.

I've had to wear a long sleeved flannel shirt and long pants for days now!!!!

Heck, I've even had to close the front door at night!!!

Damn!!!!
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:49pm
It's SNOWMAGEDDON in Seattle! Everything's closed (including UW)! Stay off the roads! Don't go if you don't have to! Etc. etc. Where I used to live (about 15 miles northeast of Seattle near Mill Creek), they got almost 6" and still falling. Marysville got 8". There's even snow on the ocean beaches this morning.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/snow-falling-in-western-washington/914070029

And here in Yakima there's a Winter Storm Warning, 2" and still falling hard. Except for the small Highland and Union Gap districts, no other schools had a 2 hour delay this morning. And this happened...
https://kimatv.com/news/local/serious-car-collision-nob-hill-blvd-closed
Now I think Yakima should have had a 2 hr delay...Bad call by the bigwigs. Hope that teenager makes it out of his serious injury. A car hit him as he was walking to school. Hearing other reports of slick roads, buses sliding here and there, etc.

Winter is alive & well here, finally. At least we haven't dealt with Minneapolis weather. My god, -30 and a wind chill of -55 last week. No way, Jose.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 5:56pm
A fresh 2 inches of that flaky four letter word, Mama is gonna have to learn how to run the snowblower.

I put on my 'man of the house' pants and cleared the driveway this morning, I'm feeling the pain now.

Things don't look very good for tonight and tomorrow either.

Another Storm System Tonight and Thursday

From StormCenter 2 Meteorologist Jenny Curtiss:

This afternoon will be a brief break from the wintry weather. The National Weather Service has issued a WINTER STORM WATCH across northeast Wisconsin. Tonight freezing rain will develop and may bring up to 1/4" of ice. WIth colder air more prevalent across the north, all snow is expected there. Roads will become slippery and even icy overnight. Tomorrow freezing rain changes to snow. 1-3" of snow is possible around the Fox Valley and areas to the East, meanwhile 4-8" of snow will fall northwest of Green Bay with isolated areas up to 10".
Whether you receive snow, ice, or a mix of the two, travel tomorrow will be rather difficult. Tomorrow is now a SEVERE WEATHER ALERT day and we'll update you both on-air and on-line as this next storm sweeps into the area... Keep informed!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:22pm
We're getting some ice buildup on some of the trees already. If we lose power due to an ice storm, it could be days before they get it fixed. Very cold temperatures are moving back in tonight.  We have an advantage over most of the folks around here.  We can still burn wood. But, any more than a few hours without contact with the outside world, I might start losing it.  Candles and FM radio can only do so much!

Plus, I have that pipe out in the garage that might freeze. I've done everything I can do to prepare for this outside of starting the generator.  I'm not the man I used to be.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:24am
I guess I had better put my shoes on and venture outside to see what I have to deal with.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:34pm
We ended up with about 3/4s of an inch of sleet that froze solid to the driveway.  I was able to clear a small area with a metal shovel.  That's way too much f*cking work.  The snowblower just rides on top of it.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:51pm
It is 76 here and now...and will be 32 by 10 PM
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:59pm
Yesterday we had a blizzard in Yakima. Yes, the NWS actually issued a Blizzard Warning. I've never seen that...and we don't live in the Midwest!
So far several new inches of snow, snow drifts everywhere, several highways still closed. Tri-Cities got it worse than we did. Kennewick had over 20" of snow. Everything's closed in Tri-Cities, all schools, the community college, libraries, government offices, the mall, various businesses. Transit services stopped running yesterday during the blizzard - the first time I've ever seen that. In Tri-Cities, police officers gave people rides, those who were stranded when the buses shut down.
Seattle - total shutdown yesterday. Most places had over half a foot of snow, Port Angeles swallowed up 15"+!! Insane!

And if you think we haven't had enough snow...take a look at Monday into Tuesday.
I'll be filing a missing person's report for Sunshine...and 50 Degrees. And once this is all over, what about flooding? And will summer be a toasty 105F, choking air quality and major wildfires all over again?

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pendleton OR
250 PM PST Sun Feb 10 2019

...ANOTHER WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE AREA TONIGHT AND MONDAY AND
INTO MONDAY NIGHT...

.A vigorous winter storm will track across the region tonight
with accumulating snow developing along the cascades this evening
and spread east into the interior portions of Oregon and
Washington overnight. As this initial system drifts away early
Monday...a brief break in between system is expected before
another round of snow develops quickly Monday afternoon that is
expected into Monday night. Some warmer air may override the below
freezing surface temperatures that could produce freezing rain
Monday afternoon and Monday night.

WAZ026-027-111200-
/O.NEW.KPDT.WW.Y.0008.190211T0000Z-190212T1200Z/
Kittitas Valley-Yakima Valley-
Including the cities of Ellensburg, Thorp, Naches, Sunnyside,
Toppenish, and Yakima
250 PM PST Sun Feb 10 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches
  expected. Heavy snow is possible Monday night.

* WHERE...Kittitas Valley and Yakima Valley.

* WHEN...Until 4 AM PST Tuesday. A brief break in between system
  is expected Monday morning before the snow resumes Monday
  afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult to
  impossible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning
  or evening commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will
cause primarily travel difficulties. Expect snow covered roads
and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:37am
^ That's crazy!  We have the equipment and people to get it all cleared away in a short time.

Another fresh 2 or 3 inches out there now, expecting 5 to 9 inches tonight into Tuesday.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:44pm
It's terrible out there! A good 5 or 6 inches already!  I need to go to the store before it gets any worse!  Who knows if they will open at 7:00.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:24am
5 new inches of snow last night and this morning. All schools and the local college closed in my county. This is on top of several more inches we've already had. 14" total measured this afternoon. Ouch!
And more is expected Thursday too!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 3:19pm
I don't want to make a mountain out of a...snow pile. Confused Never mind.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 4:02pm
Crappy, soggy day here today.

High of 58°, overcast with ongoing drizzle.

Yuck.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 4:47pm
Sunny with a high of 55 here at 
I wanna go back to where I'm from!Cry (26 and snowing like blazes, there).
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 175>
  Share Topic