Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's nice we are having weather today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 175>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 9:02am
Good luck, NR!  I know what it's like to spend the day in cold temps.  Where I work, it's 48 degrees at best.  And often, I have to go out behind the store.  I wear thermal underwear under layers of clothing, including a sweatshirt and a heavy jacket.  I can't wait to come home and warm up in 70-degree temps.

I hate the weatherman for informing me a little while ago that these subfreezing temps will last until Jan 7.

Sponsored Links

NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 3:26pm
Thanks, Pa & Thor.  

There is one "positive" in all this - when it gets to about 30-35 or so it's going to feel like paradise in comparison.  So I s'pose I'll be in better shape to deal with the rest of the winter if it ends up being like that (though going by what's happened thus far, this polar vortex/arctic chill nonsense is going to be more of the norm than not...).
I have 168 characters remaining.
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm
We had a white Christmas here in Shelton WA. USA; although I do not have a still photograph, I can offer up  the aerial video from a flight of one of my drones on Christmas morning as proof:

The snow is almost gone now; temperatures are a bit too high for snow to fall -- let alone stick (it's 38°F {3.3°C) as of this posting).

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 4:22pm
Nice video, Angry S. How much was your drone?  Does it come with a camera?
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Nice video, Angry S. How much was your drone?  Does it come with a camera?
Thank you for the compliments! 

The drone cost just under $99 (it's only $79.99 at Gearbest as of this posting!), and yes, it comes with a still/video camera (720p image quality).

It's a Hubsan H507A Star PRO.
The version in the black box is flown with your tablet or cellular telephone handset only; while the version in the white box (the one I got) also comes with a traditional R/C (though you will still need the telephone to initialise & calibrate the drone and communicate via Bluetooth to the R/C).

More info. about the drone on my website at this link.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 5:46pm
We're getting some light snow right now, I'm going after another load of firewood in less than an hour.

The outside temp is up to 10 degrees, at least there isn't much wind. I GOT NEW GLOVES FOR CHRISTMAS!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:14am
Ugh.  I can't wait for this to be over.  Walking out into the dark and 10-degree temps at 5:15am sucks.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 12:58am
We got the heat fixed today...at least, hopefully.  Apparently some switch or whatever needed to be knocked into place.  I can't remember, exactly, but it was something like that.  The boiler/furnace is something along the lines of 50-60 years old so it naturally won't have much life left.  Probably explains why it started getting bitchy.  Still, doesn't matter now.  As of now things are warming up...knock on wood.  Going to keep an eye on things and look to patch up various drafty regions.

All of this wasn't a minute too soon.  It was in the mid-40s in the house this morning.  With the latest blast of arctic hellfreeze coming by New Years (I cannot comprehend how it can get so cold with wind chill...this is bullsh*t) I was legitimately afraid of how bad it might get by Monday morning if this didn't get solved.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:19am
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

We got the heat fixed today...at least, hopefully.  Apparently some switch or whatever needed to be knocked into place.  I can't remember, exactly, but it was something like that.  The boiler/furnace is something along the lines of 50-60 years old so it naturally won't have much life left.  Probably explains why it started getting bitchy.  Still, doesn't matter now.  As of now things are warming up...knock on wood.  Going to keep an eye on things and look to patch up various drafty regions.

All of this wasn't a minute too soon.  It was in the mid-40s in the house this morning.  With the latest blast of arctic hellfreeze coming by New Years (I cannot comprehend how it can get so cold with wind chill...this is bullsh*t) I was legitimately afraid of how bad it might get by Monday morning if this didn't get solved.

And then there's the matter of pipes freezing.  That would suck.  You got that just in time.

But a 50 y/o furnace??  They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 12:08am
^freezing pipes didn't even occur to me until after everything got fixed.  Thank God that bullet got dodged.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 1:42am
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

Thanks, Pa & Thor.  

There is one "positive" in all this - when it gets to about 30-35 or so it's going to feel like paradise in comparison.  So I s'pose I'll be in better shape to deal with the rest of the winter if it ends up being like that (though going by what's happened thus far, this polar vortex/arctic chill nonsense is going to be more of the norm than not...).
WinkGlad life is on the upswing for you, NR! I had gotten kinda sorta worried and thought you might try to go out back and chop some wood, or whatever would burn...and then someone would have to go get you...we can't have that.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 11:29pm
Now that was something I thought was a distinct possibility.... Wink

And thanks.  The difference between temps is just unreal...I really thought I was getting used to it.  Thank God I didn't.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 9:07pm
Four big fat degrees in NH!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:27pm
The highest temp we got was 9°F whoop de Doo! There's absolutely nothing on TV Hallmark Channel got Full House bleugh Hallmark Movie and Mysteries got Psych bleugh and local news is on the national channels bleugh found zilch on the other channels, I was enjoying Jay Leno's Garage until Shark Tank marathon began, so the only thing left to watch is the Rose Bowl.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:57pm
Well, for all those of you who "hate me because I'm (living in a state with) beautiful (warm weather most of the time)", you'll be happy to hear that the weather here today has been damp, dreary, chilly and blustery.

And, it's going to get even colder tonight, possibly freezing by morning and with the possibility of freezing overnight lows for the rest of the week.

Take that, me.

And please remember....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 1:55am
Oh, Jimbo.  We don't hate you because of that.

We hate you because of other things.

LOLWink

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 1:56am
1 degree on the way out the door this morning.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Oh, Jimbo.  We don't hate you because of that.

We hate you because of other things.

LOLWink

Gee. Sure didn't see that one coming...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 5:28am
I'm up feeding the fire. Looks like the cold air is almost everywhere.  Minus 6, right now.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 8:47am
Looks like this cold snap might be breaking by Monday.  Here, we're showing mid-30s for Monday and Tuesday.  That'll be practically sweltering.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Looks like this cold snap might be breaking by Monday.  Here, we're showing mid-30s for Monday and Tuesday.  That'll be practically sweltering.

Before you know it, it'll be time for you to start shaving your bikini zone again.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 6:32pm
The cold air moved in here on Christmas day, the utility bill will be bigger even with our efforts to save energy costs.
 I have a space heater in the garage that keeps a pipe from freezing, I wash the vehicles out there when it ain't so damned cold.
 The furnace has been running, it's tough to get out of the warm bed sometimes.  We have been using the gas fireplace in the bedroom for comfort while taking a shower as well as equalizing the temp through the house.
  I can't wait till the weekend, it's so easy to heat the house if it's not below 15 above.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:35pm
I know I shouldn't, but...

C'mon, man!
CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 4:19am
^^Oh wow, Jimbo, that is just not fair!!!LOL
Here on old Cape Cod...we have been promised a storm on Thursday.  Not just any storm...a Nor'easter  (that is, a winter mini-hurricane)  with 70 mph winds and a foot of snow.  We've been enduring a long stretch of subzero nights and brutally cold days that the Cape just does not have the capacity to manage well and it's supposed to be even colder over the upcoming weekend.  Enough already! AngryOuch 
CapeCat
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:06pm
^ Good luck to CC and her husband, doesn't sound like much fun.  Still not much snow here yet.

Another dusting this morning, enough to shovel and run the snowblower. It hurts so good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 175>
  Share Topic