Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tony's Famous Cedar Key Clam Chowder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony's Famous Cedar Key Clam Chowder
    Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 4:29am

The canned stuff.  It should be renamed "Tony's Famous Cedar Key Clam Pepper Chowder".

Not complaining that it was nearly 4 bucks a can, but it was overhyped, IMHO.

The consistency was like a puree` with chunks of potato, the long ingredient label read like a chemistry book, but the main reason I give it a big Thumbs Down is because of the flavor.

If you like PEPPER soup, then you might like it.  Could barely taste the clams over the pepper, as it was so strong.  (It even started to burn my mouth.)  Even diluting the soup didn't help much. (After the first small bowl, I divided the remainder into small portions and froze them for later.)

Tried one can, wasn't a fan.  Thumbs Down

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 4:47am
Nothing worse than a self-proclaimed chef over-spicing (probably 'spicing to his own tastes') a product.
The price alone would have scared me.
(The LAST over-priced soup I bought was the Campbells Butternut Squash soup - and it is really GOOD)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 5:21am

I ran into the same thing with the snobby gourmet bagged soup mixes;  #1 spice in overkill was pepper.  One was so strong that we had to throw it out.  Dead

Maybe at Tony's Famous Cedar Key Beer & Swill joint they serve a warm lousy beer to kill the taste of the pepper.  That must be the secret....  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 5:47am
Maybe if you had used milk or half & half to dilute it then added some canned clams the pepper flavor wouldn't have been so strong.

I never eat canned soup straight out of the can without "customizing" it.

I always add stuff to make it my own creation.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 9:30pm
I know what it tastes like to have over peppered food it's disgusting, to the point of being inedible.

I don't blame you for tossing it in the trash. I know when I have good Clam Chowder, it's delicious.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 4:16am
Quote Maybe if you had used milk or half & half to dilute it then added some canned clams the pepper flavor wouldn't have been so strong.

Thing is, I DID dilute it.  Added lots of crackers, too.  It took the potency down a few levels, but it was still there....  LOL
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Maybe if you had used milk or half & half to dilute it then added some canned clams the pepper flavor wouldn't have been so strong.

I never eat canned soup straight out of the can without "customizing" it.

I always add stuff to make it my own creation.

I started adding clams when they had nearly disappeared from canned "clam" chowder.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 4:40pm

Hot/spicy doesn't work with mild-flavored foods.  Overpowers the flavor.  I know a guy who puts hot sauce on turkey.  I can only assume he doesn't like turkey.  Turkey goes with gravy or mayo.  Even mustard is too much.

I've been getting these 6oz slabs of "white cheddar cheese with black pepper" from the Dollar Tree lately.  The amount of pepper is just right.  Good stuff.

bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I know what it tastes like to have over peppered food it's disgusting, to the point of being inedible.

I don't blame you for tossing it in the trash. I know when I have good Clam Chowder, it's delicious.

Absolutely! I regularly eat Chunky's Manhattan and New England Clam Chowders, and Baked Potato w/Steak and Cheese, and they're great!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:14pm
Clam Chowder?!!! That's sea spit in a potato-milk sauce!
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:01pm
My college roommate (from Buffalo) used to make the best Manhattan clam chowder on a hot plate.  No milk in that.  The aroma filled the dorm.

However, the chowder in SF and Boston is amazing as well. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:13pm
I think I got food poisoning from clam chowder from somewhere... not Buffalo, not Manhattan...I dunno. Possibly Rochester, or some other obscure city that has absolutely no business with clams...
...or maybe I only got the runs from a can of Campbell's clam chowder.... I dunno.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic