Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Vonage Bum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Vonage Bum
    Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 3:27pm
Homelessness is not something to make fun of. Anyone who has lived in an American city is well aware of those poor unfortunates that hang around downtown ranting and raving, or panhandling for quarters. It's a serious social problem but it's also an opportunity, for some, to cash in. Cue Vonage and their latest commercials that feature a deranged homeless guy who is spotted on the street spouting off about the unfairness of phone company charges. Vonage immediately hired the guy and set him to work destroying office partitions and berating a Mexican worker who is just trying to get his work done. In the real world, this nut would be promptly arrested and charged with criminal damage.

Why would anyone consider buying a Vonage plan based on the word of a person who looks like he hasn't bathed for a year? Vonage thinks we might so they're pushing on with their campaign. Whoohoo.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 3:39pm

I lived in the homeless capital of the country---San Francisco, specifically the Haight-Ashbury---for many years, and encountered many homeless people.  Probably the most profound thing I ever heard any of them say was "Hey, where's m'bottle?" while being pushed around in a shopping cart.

Seriously, no business executives are out looking for derelicts to be their spokesmen.  In fact, I think it's a safe bet to say that this "homeless" Vonage spokesman is probably a professional actor.

Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 5:04pm
I lived in SF too and well remember "Camp Agnos" on UN Plaza. This guy is clean compared to some of the people that lived in that place.

It's a pretty safe bet that the guy on the commercial is an actor, but my objection is that homelessness isn't something that should be used for commercial gain, unless the company involved donates profits to homeless charities. Apart from that, the commercial is annoying as hell.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 5:18pm

^  Ahh, yes.  Camp Agnos.  LOL

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 9:42pm
This guy?
tass View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 10:27pm
Yeah I agree, not funny or anything. Weird thing to attach your brand to. I'm not buying phones or taking consumer advice from homeless guys.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 1:46am
^^^Be careful of the homeless - you never know who or why they are in the current position they are in. There are actually many very intelligent, very worthy people that had the world twist on them - and not all of them want anything from you - but one might be able to actually learn something from them.
Anyway, enough of that.
Yea. This POS commercial? Nope. No thanks. No Vonage here.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 1:53am
Wise words. Many are the roads that lead to skid row. People from all walks of life end up there. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 1:57am
It was a weird place. Right outside City Hall too. They were well-organized too, sending groups out as far afield as Cow Hollow and the Marina on spare change forays. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Miseryguts Miseryguts wrote:

Wise words. Many are the roads that lead to skid row. People from all walks of life end up there. 
Wink...and the strong come back from it, wiser, stronger, more empathetic, and a much different view about what is important in life.

~~~

Vonage's use of a 'bum' pretty much has offended me, but then again...I really have to reflect on it a bit.
From 'blabbering bum' to 'focused, inspirational, successful bum'...what a story, eh? Alrighty then! Vonage found 'success at the street corner', doncha know!

f**k a bunch of that.

'Life' isn't always 'kind', much less what one attempts to make of it.

MissyDWolf & bad ol'self have long been involved with the less fortunate, to the point of purposely living with and working (off-hours, usually day-pay 'Labor Ready'-type jobs, ONLY as long as we are not taking work away from others) with folks.
We have met all kinds of people, many simply amazing - and we do not lose touch (I really hate it when we do). We are regulars at the shelters (I raid food & clothing discount racks on a regular basis, then head the shelters).  If we can help people who really want & need help, need a boost - we do it  I'd like to believe we are pretty darned good at reading people, I KNOW we have always been very fortunate, maybe more than we deserve (I'd like to believe we're also basically not 'materialistic')
This style of 'paying it forward' doesn't stop there. We also deal with ex-felons. Coming out into the world with that stigma is almost unbelievable and beyond scope, right now.

Point is...I guess Vonage actually makes me uncomfortable with this line of advertising - as if making 'light' of 'recognizing and grabbing the gold talent from the bottom of the barrel'...and using it to their own advantage.

Nope, nope, nope! I don't it a bit.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Dirtdog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 6:48am
I hate these F'n vonage commercials!
this occupy wall street ahole needs a shave and a shower and who the hell besides your grandparents still use a landline anyway?
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:21am
The legitimately homeless don't bother me, I usually give them a buck or two. It's the panhandling, jobless people who piss me off. I had an hour to kill once, so I pulled into this run down shopping center to relax and listen to some music.

I watched this lady stand in front of a liquor store in shabby clothes, begging and collecting money for a good while. When she was sure no one was looking (I was), she got in an almost brand new car and drove away. That's her "job", and you'd be amazed how much money these people make.

They always have a sob story too. Watch out for guys at the gas station holding a gas can. They'll claim they ran out of gas, and just need like $5 to get home. They don't. They do it all night long and make a killing. One time I said "Okay, I've got my credit card here, I'll fill it for you". He just walked away. Standing there with a full can is bad for business.
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:35am
My favorite real homeless people are the ones that hold signs saying "Why lie? I need a beer"

I appreciate the honesty, pal, but sorry. Enough people already sympathize (other alcoholics?). I see people give them money all the time.
susanlynn7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susanlynn7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:51am
The annoying thing about this commercial is that they think people want to buy into a company that is run by a homeless guy?? Ummmm...I don't think so. How did that sound like a good idea to Vonage?!
rebandvodka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebandvodka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 3:18am
I didn't think he was homeless, I thought he was just a hipster doofus with Cookie Monster eyes. Kinda like Charles Manson, too.  But then, I've only seen the one commercial where he's walking down the street knowing all kinds of languages and not eating the food people are handing him. 
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 4:25am
HE makes me sick to my stomach.
The old hag in it make s me puke
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 4:43am
Originally posted by rebandvodka rebandvodka wrote:

I didn't think he was homeless, I thought he was just a hipster doofus with Cookie Monster eyes. Kinda like Charles Manson, too.  But then, I've only seen the one commercial where he's walking down the street knowing all kinds of languages and not eating the food people are handing him. 

LOLLOL I thought he was a dirty hipster, too. Vonage comes up with the worst commercials.
Frankcastle006 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankcastle006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 4:49am
Just look at his hair. It looks like it hasn't been washed in 3 months and is actually starting to knot together.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 6:00am
I might have missed it, but has anyone noticed this guy's resemblance to the GEICO cavemen?
Crackicus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crackicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

HE makes me sick to my stomach.
The old hag in it make s me puke

I find it mildly amusing that the bum looks like he's scared sh*tless by the hag. X3
breakfastmess View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakfastmess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:28am
I always get a real 'Portland' vibe from him.
Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:24am
Yes, good idea, Vonage! Use someone who looks dirty and bummy in your commercials to bring in more customers! Why not have a clean, clean shaven, clean cut,brushed, suit wearing businessman in their commercials to bring in more customers?
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

I watched this lady stand in front of a liquor store in shabby clothes, begging and collecting money for a good while. When she was sure no one was looking (I was), she got in an almost brand new car and drove away. That's her "job", and you'd be amazed how much money these people make.

My Papaw had the same thing happen. He had someone panhandling on his street corner, claiming to be a war vet. My Papaw normally paid him no mind, until one day when he was doing his daily walk. See, Papaw would walk a couple blocks around his house for exercise, and that day, he saw the "homeless war vet" get into a red sports car that looked like new and drive off. The next time my Papaw saw the guy on the corner, he asked him about the red sports car parked a couple blocks over, and naturally, the guy denied owning one. So then my Papaw says to him "So that's not your car parked a couple blocks over? So then, it won't affect you any if I take my cane here and bust out the windows and headlights, maybe take my pocket knife and slash the tires, scrape up the paint job a little then, right?"

At that point the guy says "I have to go, I'm sorry sir" and takes off. Most likely he moved to another street, but either way, my Papaw never saw the guy on his corner or his walking route ever again, heh.

As an aside, I don't get why Vonage chose a guy that looks like a bum to represent their company either. I mean, I assume they're not going the "suit and tie/corporate businessman" look to try and show they're not a rich, snobby corporation that only the wealthy can afford, but they went too far in the other direction. They don't look like "Joe Average", they look like a bum, and sorry, but I don't care what kinda rates you're giving, a bum isn't gonna be using Vonage.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:09pm
Imagine if there was a commercial mash up between Cottonelle and Vonage.

Cottonelle lady: let's talk about your bum!

Vonage bum: who? Me?

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Dirtdog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 3:43pm
1.who the f**k still uses a landline under 70 years old?
2.why the hell would I take advice on anything from some occupy Wall Street homeless asshole??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic