Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiffer 'Elderly Couple' series (NOW with VIDEO!)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiffer 'Elderly Couple' series (NOW with VIDEO!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swiffer 'Elderly Couple' series (NOW with VIDEO!)
    Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 9:47pm
OuchI hate the thought that as we progress into the sunset of our days, something as simple as a swiffer sweeper or wet mop will excite us.
I *do* know that MissyDWolf loves this commercial series (we've seen two different) and hopes the 'Swiffer Fairy' will leave a nice box at the front of The Den. I don't - she'd have me constantly showing her "How they work".
I also told her that if anything gets left at our front door, I probably did something to bring there and we probably don't want it.
"Real people aware their comments may appear in advertising" 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 2:52am
Saw this one just a while ago. This one bugged me because these 70ish people had been living in what looks to be a fairly clean home and now they need a Swiffer to be super clean! Yeah right, I think they have done just fine to get to their age without the damn Swiffer thing!
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 12:49pm
I think that the couple in this commercial is so cute :) BUT the commercial itself is so annoying. Bwest, I agree - their house looks fine. I highly doubt that the Swiffer thing is going to make that much of a difference. Hey, at least they haven't been subjected to Lysol's "Healthing" campaign. Dead
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 1:25pm

I like these commercials.  The couple seems real.  Kinda glad they're portrayed realistically, rather than as some seniors who go parasailing, hiking Mt. Everest, tending to their winery and out dancing to hip-hop music to show how modern, hip and successful they are.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 7:33pm
I really just don't understand the demographic. My mind wants to say "old folks" but I don't actually think that's the case. I think it's probably for the generation before old folks. Like this will remind them of their elderly parents' struggle to clean and encourage them to buy "simple" swiffer products for them instead. Let alone the fact that most old people aren't going to change even if something will make their lives easier.

Still hate it though. I don't care how old you are, being unaware there are other solutions besides a rope mop and bucket is not possible.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 8:18pm
The commercial is fine and the product is ok too.
But there comes a time when you have to use cleaners/polish and rub or scrub.

Animals in the house, smoking, burning wood. 3M has a new furnace filter with charcoal to help eliminate odors that I want to try.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

Animals in the house, smoking, burning wood. 3M has a new furnace filter with charcoal to help eliminate odors that I want to try.

I actually like the smell of burnt wood in a house---as long as it's wood that was meant to be burned...that is, like from a wood-burning stove, which is what I assume you meant, rather than from a house that's been on fire.

I smoke and let others smoke in my house.  I also have 3 cats.  But I have my windows open almost all of the time, so the place doesn't smell.  Even in winter, I open my windows for part of the day.  I hate stuffy air.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 9:38pm

Hez, sometimes the old people's way is the best.

I bought a Swiffer years ago, tried it a few times...and didn't like it.  I expected it to pick up dried splatters easily.  It did not.  Plus, with the bits of cat food and all the bits of leaves the animals and I bring in, I still had to sweep before I "Swiffed".

It's out in my garage right now, if anyone wants it.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 9:42pm
I like the Swiffer. The spray one, that is.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I really just don't understand the demographic. My mind wants to say "old folks" but I don't actually think that's the case. I think it's probably for the generation before old folks. Like this will remind them of their elderly parents' struggle to clean and encourage them to buy "simple" swiffer products for them instead. Let alone the fact that most old people aren't going to change even if something will make their lives easier.

Still hate it though. I don't care how old you are, being unaware there are other solutions besides a rope mop and bucket is not possible.
LOLI ACTUALLY started to write about this very matter!
My beloved moter, in her mid-80's, has a number of Swiffer items. *I* think she likes them for their nifty, sharp colors, not because sh ever uses them. But she DOES have multple colors! Kind of like fake flowers - they nevr die and they ARE colorful.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Hez, sometimes the old people's way is the best.

I bought a Swiffer years ago, tried it a few times...and didn't like it.  I expected it to pick up dried splatters easily.  It did not.  Plus, with the bits of cat food and all the bits of leaves the animals and I bring in, I still had to sweep before I "Swiffed".

It's out in my garage right now, if anyone wants it.

In this case I think there's a better solution for them than a rope mop and a bucket, but swiffer certainly isn't it. I've never gotten a good clean from a swiffer. I got a steam mop for Christmas one year, it even functions as a vacuum. Just as easy for Ethel to push around and no need to buy refills. Just invest 99 bucks or so and let her go to town.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 4:03pm

I'd rather clean toilets than clean my white ceramic-tile kitchen floor---and I have an 8' x 11' Persian rug covering much of it!  First I vacuum the tiled area.  Then I sweep the stuff the vacuum blew around.  Then I pour water on the splatters to soften 'em up.  Then I wet-mop it.  Then I have to wipe it dry with a towel to get rid of the streaks.  Then I have to vacuum the rug.

For awhile, I was using my leaf blower to blow all the loose bits of cat food and leaves out the door.

I've decided that it's only important that the floor look clean.  It doesn't have to actually be clean.  It's not as if I'm eating off of the floor.  So, I rarely use any kind of soap on the floor anymore.  Just water.

I remember being pissed at all the streaks the Swiffer left behind.  I'll bet that people who like the Swiffer do not have semi-glossy white kitchen floors.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 4:12pm
My mom's kitchen & dining room are both ceramic flooring, which totals up to roughly 300 sq feet or so.  Once or twice a year she'll bleach clean the grout to whiten it, which is something I would never have the patience to do. 

I've got linoleum flooring, and almost never even bother mopping.  I'll just spot clean as needed with a little 409 and rag.  I do keep them swept regularly though.
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 4:46pm
Between the old fossils and the crappy music, I thought I was watching a promo for that series on TVLand where they stick old folks in with a bunch of teens.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 6:20pm

Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

I actually like the smell of burnt wood in a house---as long as it's wood that was meant to be burned...that is, like from a wood-burning stove, which is what I assume you meant, rather than from a house that's been on fire.

I smoke and let others smoke in my house.  I also have 3 cats.  But I have my windows open almost all of the time, so the place doesn't smell.  Even in winter, I open my windows for part of the day.  I hate stuffy air.

Not much wood burning going on with temps going over 90 and high humidity.
We won't have the windows open till about saturday when a front comes through.
Anything over 76 or so in the house and I can't sleep.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 8:56pm

^  One day last week, it was 104 degrees in my upstairs.  By bedtime, it had gone down to 95.  I really don't like A/C that much, and try to avoid putting it on.  I mainly put it on if I have people coming over.  Last year, I used it more because I had my old and frail cat Sneakers, and wanted to keep him comfortable.

I have 5 overhead fans in my house.  They're a Godsend.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 9:07pm
Well these are a refreshing change to the mop/broom falling in love with an inanimate object. Those were getting old.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:01pm

For awhile, I was using my leaf blower to blow all the loose bits of cat food and leaves out the door.

Confused
Gas or electric?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Confused
Gas or electric?

Electric.  Toro.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Well these are a refreshing change to the mop/broom falling in love with an inanimate object. Those were getting old.

I got the broom-rake love affair.  But the sponge mop-bowling ball relationship just seemed wrong.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 4:43pm
I hated cleaning my hardwood because of the same issues. Turns out I just had a sh*tty vacuum. Once I got a Shark navigator where you can turn off the brush roll, and with suction "just so" so it doesn't blow dog hair and debris away from the vacuum, it's made vacuuming hard wood an actual possibility. The tile kitchen floor does really well with the steam/vac mop. Seriously, I'd recommend getting one, it's perfect for tile. Think mine is a Bissel.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 6:45pm

I actually have a Bissel steam/vac thing, Hez.  But it's for carpets, not floors.  It does a pretty good job on my white carpet, but there's no way to disengage the brush.

But you're right.  If I could turn the brush-roller thing on my vacuum off, vacuuming the tiled floor would be easier.  With the roller spinning, it just blows everything around, even on the "hard floor" setting.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 6:49pm
I have a Bissell bagless vacuum which I got last December, and the thing does a great job on the carpet.  It can go on the floor too but I usually just go with a broom for that.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 1:10am
Any snarky lil'bastard who drops off a Swiffer Gift Box on OUR stoop is in for a visit they don't want.
I still think the flaming bag o'crap ring-and-run is better - I can STILL sort of run and I STILL think it is awfully funny watching someone stomp it out...
Kids these days! The sweet lil'spermmistakes think it is funny and helpful dropping off a box of cleaning supplies. Is our place THAT dirty? Do they even begin to believe we wouldn't suspect who did it and thus retaliate?
Fools.
Sweet fools.
Simple fools.
But, yea, after we eat your first-born, we'll clean up.
So....o.k., yea, sure fine. THANKS for the Swiffer kit!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 2:00am

Pa, when your kids drop off cleaning supplies for you, it might actually be time to clean.  LOL

I've been told my house is clean enough "for a guy".  At first, I was slightly insulted, because when I know people are coming over, I do my best.  Then I realized that so little is expected from me in the way of housekeeping, that any effort is good enough.

I think people notice a few main things:

Unvacuumed carpet
Dishes in the sink
Piss stains on the rim of the toilet

These are the things I always make sure are taken care of before people visit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic