Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trivago Guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FocusedinNYC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FocusedinNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 7:20pm
Yes!   I've also seen the new ones, and while in those, for all the reasons other people have shared here, at least, in the new ones, he doesn't generate the never happened before instant wave of repulsion in me making me grab the remote.....U bet, even the way he says the name of the Co.....creeps me out.

His voice alone creeps me out.  I use travel sites (now,  mainly one) and, would NEVER,  under ANY circumstances even visit this one!  All because of who they chose re this campaign.
Sponsored Links

i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:23am
I think he looks like he had a stroke. Seems like half his face doesn't move right. Or, it's just numbed up from all the coke.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Bena View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 4:31am
I cringe when he says "exact same room." Exact same? Bush league writing. The actor is handsome but obviously needs a shower. Nothing in a commercial is accidental. They want him to look filthy for a reason. What that is, I have no idea!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Bena Bena wrote:

I cringe when he says "exact same room." Exact same? Bush league writing. The actor is handsome but obviously needs a shower. Nothing in a commercial is accidental. They want him to look filthy for a reason. What that is, I have no idea!

I think he's supposed to look like some sorta world traveller.  Not part of the jet-set; more like the sort of guy who travels regularly (mostly to Europe), has friends all over the place, does stuff with them, and spends little time worrying about his clothes.  He drinks a lot of wine and smokes Galouises with his Euro friends, and likes to bash America, especially its culture.  He travels light, so it's possible that that's one of 2 or 3 shirts that he brought with him.  He thinks of himself as very urbane, but in a hip, cool way.  In short, he's a bon vivant.

Tennis, Anyone? View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennis, Anyone? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 3:15am
I agree. I don't think he's bad looking at all. Men who look squeaky clean don't appeal to me. He has a nicely rugged look, but I can't stand the way he wears his pants low on his hips. What's THAT all about?
Jabby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 7:14pm
This scruffy, unkept, homeless looking slob drives me nuts! His voice is like finger nails down a chalk board. His attitude infuriates me and his smuggness makes me want to smash my TV. 
Beckler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beckler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 1:51am
What the hell is 'trivago' anyway?  Who the hell are they?  I'm literally seeing the commercial on like 8 completely different channels, at the same time, ALL the time.  Who can afford that many spots on TV?!  Clearly they're owned by some other huge company and I wish it and all its entities a rapid financial death.  I'm so annoyed and disgusted, I hate these 'trivago' idiots and everything they stand for, without knowing a single thing about them.  This is advertising at its absolute worst: turning new customers away for life.  Morons. Angry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Bena Bena wrote:

(Quoting Thor with a little 'wordsmithing' by yours furry)

I think he's supposed to look like some sorta world traveller.  Not part of the jet-set; more like the sort of guy who travels regularly (mostly to Europe), has friends all over the place, does stuff with them, and spends little time worrying about his clothes.  He drinks a lot of Pernot absinthe and smokes Galouises Caporals with his Euro friends, and just doesn't even discuss America, much less its culture.  He travels light, so it's possible that that's one of 2 or 3 shirts that he brought with him.  He thinks of himself as very urbane, but in a hip, cool way.  In short, he's a bon vivant.

(only the Galouises Caporals, of course - black, rancid tobacco)
http://www.zigsam.at/l6/B_Cig/GauloisesCaporal-19fDE198.jpg
Thor - you're a pig and you make me feel dirty all over.
You described my general manner of travel. Yea, it wasn't uncommon to wash clothes out in the sink, let 'em hang dry, and then give them the shower-steam pressing before putting them on and heading out to the clientele with a monster hangover that goes away after about 3 espressos, a continental breakfast, and two sh*ts.
~~~
There is a new ad with 'Triv LeTramp' in a suit - seen it?
It also seems they've dropped him back a few feet, washed and lightened his hair, and employed a matte filter during filming. Softens him radically and he isn't so 'in your face'.
~~~
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
haywire996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haywire996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 9:48pm
He has always irritated the hell out of me. I am annoyed by the way he keeps adding information & details that any moron would already know, like how you should enter your check in & check out dates. His facebook page is just as weird. He seems to try self-consciosly imitating Tom Waits by carefully choosing rumpled clothes and "mussing" his hair. Seems to ask himself, "Do I look like I'm not self-conscious about my appearance or should I put on a faded t-shirt under this work shirt, maybe tuck in one shirt & add an untucked layer?" His voice is also fake. "I'm practising talking like a wise old hippy so you'll think I'm genuine." Finally, "I know I'm turning on younger chicks, but why do gay men seem to be the only people who are attracted to me?" I WON'T use Trivago just because of this bloedmann.   
Ugawdabkidn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ugawdabkidn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 10:55pm
This clown is straight up nails on the chalkboard.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 11:35pm

¿Hola? ¿Te refieres a este comercial Trivago?

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
freddo30 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddo30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 9:47pm
looks like a worthless service to boot
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FocusedinNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 9:53pm
Wow.  Interesting comment!   

I could never get past the Eeeeewwwwww of the actor they actually chose for this campaign enough to even consider that!

Just struck me.....we shuold be compensated for posting on this site!   If clueless account execs are relegated to paying for focus groups.....well, do the math.
Truth Patrol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Truth Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 5:47pm
I hate to disagree with most of you guys (and gals), but I think the "Trivago guy" is a brilliant choice for a spokesperson. He's edgy and interesting looking. In real life, the unshaved look has been around for a long time. Most males look like this in my part of town near the beach (casual Southern California.) That slightly dirty look is hot; to me, an excessively "man-scaped" look indicates a person who is vain and overly concerned with his grooming. This actor has a great, slim body, especially for someone who appears to be approaching middle age. His voice is slightly gruff, yet soft-spoken and soothing. He's sensitive, but manly. I think I saw him in one commercial where they cleaned him up and dressed him in a suit. The new image was awful! It looked like the image consultant/censors had gotten to the advertising firm. I'm glad I haven't seen it again! The one travel site commercial I REALLY hate is the one airing for booking.com. It must have been conceived by a bunch of vulgar adolescents! Each to his/her own, I guess!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Truth Patrol Truth Patrol wrote:

I hate to disagree with most of you guys (and gals), but I think the "Trivago guy" is a brilliant choice for a spokesperson. He's edgy and interesting looking. In real life, the unshaved look has been around for a long time. Most males look like this in my part of town near the beach (casual Southern California.) That slightly dirty look is hot; to me, an excessively "man-scaped" look indicates a person who is vain and overly concerned with his grooming. This actor has a great, slim body, especially for someone who appears to be approaching middle age. His voice is slightly gruff, yet soft-spoken and soothing. He's sensitive, but manly. I think I saw him in one commercial where they cleaned him up and dressed him in a suit. The new image was awful! It looked like the image consultant/censors had gotten to the advertising firm. I'm glad I haven't seen it again! The one travel site commercial I REALLY hate is the one airing for booking.com. It must have been conceived by a bunch of vulgar adolescents! Each to his/her own, I guess!

Welcome to the board!  I'm in your city.  It's OK to disagree with us.  I believe the main objection to Trivago Guy is that he's supposed to be representing a world traveler, not a beach bum.  Also, the weird shape of his body with the low-slung pants and long torso is jarring.  I haven't seen the suit ad, so I can't comment on if it's an improvement.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:27pm
If folks review the beginning of the thread, one can learn a lot about the gent.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 9:09pm

Yeah, pretty interesting thread.  8 pages now and still going strong.  Many people signed up with CIH just to comment on this guy.  He's really evoked some reactions---some good, mostly bad.

LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  Here ya go.

I think this graphic does a lot towards explaining why Trivago Guy is such a bizarre, and compelling figure.

If one compares "regular cleaned-up" TG on the left or the photo-shopped bon vivant TG on the right to say, the Hispanic Trivago Guy in the Spanish-speaking ad posted above, I think both lose out to the Spanish speaking actor. Don Juan seems to embody more the original intent of Trivago Guy and might be a more natural, even handsome modern version. (Just an observation)

What was also posted somewhere back in this lengthy thread was the question of just who is the mystery mega-corporation funding this company and all of these ads? With the addition of the Spanish-speaking version and God knows how many other language versions (of ad and spokesman), I don't think that has been resolved but is, to me, kind of a fun little conspiracy theoretical sideline.
(Of course one could also speculate on why I'm even spending time and thought in the first place on these Trivago geeks.. what if I'm working undercover for the mystery mega-corp to perpetuate the myth.. and don't even know it...LOL)
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 11:39pm
Again, Trivago is a German organization and they are making money hand-over-fist.
The actor is originally from Texas, but has lived in Europe for YEARS; I know the kind well.
Been a transplant for much of my life, done that (believe me - gets weird when one forgets where 'home' is, stranger when it doesn't really matter).
Truth Patrol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 1:29am
The European aspect of his biography is fascinating. I didn't know that. He exudes a certain "je ne sais quoi" that I intuitively sensed, for whatever reason. That's probably one of the factors that entered into his being selected as a spokesperson. Why are some of us obsessing over his body proportions? He's just a lanky guy with a boyish figure. Looks pretty normal to me!
NeilHamburgerFan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilHamburgerFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:31am
I'm soooo impressed social marketing nitwits convincingly pitched to Trivago executives that "any press is good press" and are promoting the #trivagoguy makeover blitz.

I suggest submitting a picture of the Travelocity gnome as your #trivagoguy makeover contest entry. Travelocity's search algorithm and more likable spokesperson/spokesgnome make it superior to Trivago in every way. Don't let them capitalize on our pure and authentic hate for the Trivago guy!

https://www.facebook.com/trivago/app_451684954848385
SJames View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by NeilHamburgerFan NeilHamburgerFan wrote:

#trivagoguy makeover

https://www.facebook.com/trivago/app_451684954848385

Don't let them capitalize on our pure and authentic hate for the Trivago guy!

I don't know- I hate Twitter and Facebook a lot more than the Trivago guy. LOL
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FocusedinNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

I think he looks like he had a stroke. Seems like half his face doesn't move right. Or, it's just numbed up from all the coke.

I agree!  Tho I think it's not physiological, I think it's that he is FAUX and all about trying to come across as some version of cool and macho.  Soooooo creepy.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FocusedinNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Again, Trivago is a German organization and they are making money hand-over-fist.
The actor is originally from Texas, but has lived in Europe for YEARS; I know the kind well.
Been a transplant for much of my life, done that (believe me - gets weird when one forgets where 'home' is, stranger when it doesn't really matter).

Interesting!!!!   And yes, I would think that he is an ex patriot owes to his need to obfuscate his underlying sensibility and manufacture a new, faux one.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FocusedinNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Truth Patrol Truth Patrol wrote:

The European aspect of his biography is fascinating. I didn't know that. He exudes a certain "je ne sais quoi" that I intuitively sensed, for whatever reason. That's probably one of the factors that entered into his being selected as a spokesperson. Why are some of us obsessing over his body proportions? He's just a lanky guy with a boyish figure. Looks pretty normal to me!

"Boyish"....my butt.Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
  Share Topic