Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kansas City Railroad pocket watch in SILVER TONE!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas City Railroad pocket watch in SILVER TONE!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas City Railroad pocket watch in SILVER TONE!!
    Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 6:23am
Silver tone - silver tone - silver tone....

Really??? SILVER TONE????

Yep.

Wow!!!!

Silver tone, eh????

Yep.

Soooo.... what exactly is "silver tone", anyway?

I dunno. Some cheap-ass, fake silver plating I guess.

Available in "GOLD TONE" too!!!   

WOW!!!!! REALLY?????

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 6:44am
Basically the equivilant of that "chrome" stuff that peals to reveal white plastic underneath.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 2:17pm

I think silver tone is just metal with silver coloring in it.  It wouldn't peel or rub off.  Silver plate, while it has actual silver in it, is the stuff that rubs off.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 3:29pm
It's more than likely nickel plating.

That's what they normally use on cheap watch cases.

Nickel plating over cheap "pot metal"

Looks good, doesn't rub off & cheap to produce.

"Silvertone" just sounds better than "nickel plated".

They say it kinda fast & slip it by so your ear hears.... SILVERsomething.

Ad gimmick.

Also sounds like an old Sears Roebuck record player. Silvertone was their brand name.

Think they sold cheapo guitars under that name also.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 3:38pm

I saw that Brooklyn Lantern thing---the one advertised on TV to be "made of genuine metal".  Cheapest piece of crap going.  Besides the really thin sheet metal, the whole thing looks like it'd fall apart with a flick of the finger.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 3:44pm
Must be why it says in the fine print on the box "Do not flick fingers at or near lantern."

That way if people complain & want replacements because "The damned thing fell apart at the flick of a finger!!!"

They can just tell them to go back & read the box.

They always cover their asses on these things, don't they?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Also sounds like an old Sears Roebuck record player. Silvertone was their brand name.

Think they sold cheapo guitars under that name also.

I think Chris Isaak used one of those when he and his band were simply called Silvertone back around 1980.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I think Chris Isaak used one of those when he and his band were simply called Silvertone back around 1980.

They are actually quite collectible.

Same with Montgomery Wards "Airline" brand.

I've seen Jack White & a couple of others playing those.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 3:56pm

I think Isaak used one 'cuz that's all he could afford.  But it also fit in with his whole punk rock thing.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 8:46pm
Do I have 'GULLIBLE' written on my forehead?
~~~
I already have a stupid-phone to tell me what time it is - why do I need this watch?
ConfusedMust be a real honor to be 'Certified by the American Historic Society' (you are reminded of this multiple times during the commercial). They are the ones who color-plate or paint commemorative and pretend coins, then sell them to you.
American Historic Society
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 10:44pm
"To commemorate the wild west in all it's glory..."  What's glory have to do with a train robbery?Confused
The conductor should be happy Jesse James didn't shoot him.   
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 12:22am
If he had shot him, they'd probably be selling commemorative bullets.

In Silvertone!!!!

C'mon, man!
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 3:13pm
That looks like the same pocketwatch I see shedloads of on ebay...from China.  Same design.  That clip looks like it would break in ten seconds.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Dreamstalker Dreamstalker wrote:

That looks like the same pocketwatch I see shedloads of on ebay...from China.  Same design.  That clip looks like it would break in ten seconds.

That case design is fairly common, but the Chinese watches have quartz movements like most cheap watches nowadays. This particular watch has a mechanical movement, which I assume is a plus in terms of quality if it is as well made as they suggest.

Much more difficult & costly to repair if it breaks, though. It's getting harder & harder to find anyone who even knows how to repair mechanical watch movements anymore.

Another "lost art".

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:21pm

If he had shot him, they'd probably be selling commemorative bullets.

In Silvertone!!!!

The Lone Ranger already has those Silvertone bullets covered.  
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:39pm
Oh no.... don't tell me even The Lone Ranger is going el-cheapo on us!!!

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 10:39pm
Actually, according to sources, they've even downgraded the horse.

"Hi-ho! Tinfoil!"
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 2:45am
And Tonto isn't even a "Native American" anymore either.

He's just some Puerto Rican guy from Tampa.

Can't even pronounce "Kemo Sabe" correctly.

Always comes out "chinga tu madre".

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 3:42am
i don't want to live in a world where native americans are played by anyone who isn't ItLian.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 4:34am

That case design is fairly common, but the Chinese watches have quartz movements like most cheap watches nowadays. This particular watch has a mechanical movement, which I assume is a plus in terms of quality if it is as well made as they suggest.

Much more difficult & costly to repair if it breaks, though. It's getting harder & harder to find anyone who even knows how to repair mechanical watch movements anymore.

True...that particular case design just looks cheap, I've seen it so often (and I have seen skeleton watches from Chinese sellers).  One of the items I've been trying to find for awhile is a nice 'real' mechanical skeleton pocketwatch.  Although getting it fixed should anything happen might end up costing more than the watch itself.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Dreamstalker Dreamstalker wrote:

True...that particular case design just looks cheap, I've seen it so often (and I have seen skeleton watches from Chinese sellers).  One of the items I've been trying to find for awhile is a nice 'real' mechanical skeleton pocketwatch.  Although getting it fixed should anything happen might end up costing more than the watch itself.

I have an old Knickerbocker railroad pocket watch that belonged to my grandfather back in the 1920's or possibly even earlier. He worked for the railroad for awhile & they were all required to carry that particular style of pocket watch because they had a small, separate minute dial & were very accurate or something.

Anyway, it needs repair that would probably cost more than the 100-150 bucks it's worth. Big, heavy thing with a crystal about ⅛" thick.

Knickerbocker was only in business from the mid to latter 1800's until the early 1930's. Their factory was somewhere in midtown Manhattan, hence the name.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 2:02pm
After losing the only watch I ever had that was worth more than a few bucks (a Seiko), I've stuck with the cheapo $10 watches vendors used to sell on Market Street in San Francisco in the 1990s.  Some were novelty (a triangular watch and a "mood" watch) and one was a really nice Tag-Heuer knockoff, but most were just nice-looking.  I never had a problem with the watches themselves, but when the battery died or I just got tired of them, I'd get another one.

The watch I've been using now for about 4 years is a $5 one from Big Lots.  Really basic.  When the battery dies, I'll get another one.  It's a pain in the butt to change most watch batteries.

I do have a watch that I got in the 9th grade that allows me to open up the back to change batteries using a coin.  It's pretty heavy and bulky, though.  Works fine, however.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

After losing the only watch I ever had that was worth more than a few bucks (a Seiko), I've stuck with the cheapo $10 watches vendors used to sell on Market Street in San Francisco in the 1990s.  Some were novelty (a triangular watch and a "mood" watch) and one was a really nice Tag-Heuer knockoff, but most were just nice-looking.  I never had a problem with the watches themselves, but when the battery died or I just got tired of them, I'd get another one.

The watch I've been using now for about 4 years is a $5 one from Big Lots.  Really basic.  When the battery dies, I'll get another one.  It's a pain in the butt to change most watch batteries.

I do have a watch that I got in the 9th grade that allows me to open up the back to change batteries using a coin.  It's pretty heavy and bulky, though.  Works fine, however.

And like cordless phones the batteries tend to cost more than the device.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 6:25pm

If I liked the watch enough, I'd replace the battery---that is, if it wasn't so difficult to remove the back from the watch.

Hmmmmm...I just looked at a website which informed me that in order to pry the back off of a watch, you've gotta pull out the stem.  Never knew that.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 7:00pm
I haven't worn a watch in years.

I have a fob watch that I keep hanging from the heater adjustment lever on the dash console of my truck so I'll know what time it is when I go somewhere.

Nearly identical to this one. Same fob & clip but my watch has a blue face & the bezel is a little different.

I also have stashed away in a box, a Junghans solar powered watch from Germany that one of my late aunts gave me back in the 80's that is identical to this one

Not sure if it's worth a whole lot, but because I've never really worn it, it's still in brand new condition.

She gave my dad one too. I think it's still at my mom's house.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic