Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Radio Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What about the DISCOUNT $%!^!???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about the DISCOUNT $%!^!???
    Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 7:31am
It's not going to be a good day when I'm irritated before I've even backed out of the driveway. We have a local ad for flooring or god knows what...I don't know, I was too annoyed by this commercial. It basically goes like this:

Rebecca: I got this great new flooring for my kitchen!

Bitchy Friend: Wow! How much was it?

Rebecca: It was VERY affordable to start, but then I got a discount!

Bitchy Friend: What discount?

Rebecca: Blah blah flooring has been in business since Nineteen Twenty Odd Six...

Bitchy Friend: What DISCOUNT??

Rebecca: ....in a variety of blah blah blah...

Bitchy Friend: WHAT ABOUT THE DISCOUNT????

Rebecca: ....installer who had rock hard abs...blah blah blah....

Bitchy Friend: WHAT ABOUT THE *DISCOUNT REBECCA???* (with a tone of voice like her life depends on it)

Rebecca: ...blah blah blah no mention of discount blah blah blah...

Bitchy Friend: REBECCA!!!!!!!!!! (literally, yelling)

I actually think she bugs her about the discount at least 2 or 3 more times, but my brain pretty much shut off by that point.

It's a commercial that if I had made it when I took Mass Media in High School, I would have failed because A) It's annoying as hell B) It doesn't give any information about the company or the product other then a damn discount.
Dad! The cable is out again CAN YOU FIXTH THIT!?
Sponsored Links

Ebola Guy View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebola Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 4:10pm
There was a commercial with the same style for retractable awnings that you can have for your deck.  It was an older couple.  The husband telling about how great the item is and the wife saying "Harold, tell them about the discount".  Each time sound a little more exasperated.

Another commercial style I have heard was the "There's gotta be a catch" commercial.  I think General Steel used it, along with some colleges.

Salesman pitches product or service. 
Joe Schmoe: "There's gotta be a catch."
Salesman: Yada yada yada
Joe Schmoe: There's gotta be a catch.
Salesman: Yada, yada, yada
Joe Schmoe: There's gotta be a catch.
Salesman: Oh yea, I forgot one thing...
Joe Schmoe: The catch, right!
Salesman reveal even more value for your dollar.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 6:16pm
I actually had to hear this one when my ipod died during my move. REBECCAAAAAA the discount!  They give those stupid 200 dollar off coupons to the people who call from the TV commercials too, it's really nothing special, they're just trying to make it seem like their product is worth more then it really is.
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 8:30pm
I haven't heard this because I don't listen to radio, but it makes me want to shove a spork under my fingernails.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 1:07am
I thought this was going to be about the awning ad, too.

"Tell them about the discount, Harry!"

No, how 'bout you grow a set, Harry and tell her to STFU!
pulsekreator303 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pulsekreator303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 2:11am
YES! I have heard this piece of sh*t and it really pisses me off. The one here played, goes:

Ass hole husband: BLAH BLAH BLAH

Bitchy Wife: Tell them about the DISCOUNT BOB!

Repeat 5 times throughout the spot.

UGH!
fourstringdrums View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 2:15am
I'm surprised there are so many copycat commercials like this. Made by the same agency perhaps? :) 
Dad! The cable is out again CAN YOU FIXTH THIT!?
pulsekreator303 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pulsekreator303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:49am
It's gotta be. There were about three different versions of it playing here for a while. I wish I could think of the company. They sure didn't do a good job in captivating people enough to remember what product/service they are offering! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic