Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Publishers Clearing House awards dead actors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Publishers Clearing House awards dead actors
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 4:07am

These new Publisher's Clearing House commercials aren't available yet on Youtube, but you'll be seeing them soon.  They involve the "Prize Patrol" showing up on the shores of Gilligan's island, the Brady household, and the Diff'rent Strokes apartment, and awarding cash prizes to Bob Denver, Robert Reed and Gary Coleman.

So far, I've seen the Gilligan's Island and the Diff'rent Strokes ones.

They suck.

Sponsored Links

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 4:48am
They're not bad (though if Gary Coleman could see the Diff'rent Strokes one he'd probably have flashbacks of getting (financially) screwed over again....) 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 1:56pm

^  I just don't see these as working better than when they show up unexpectedly at the doors of regular people and award real cash prizes, as they do in their usual commercials.  Those old ads are clear and effective.  These commercials, with the dead actors, merely look like parodies of those, and make the whole sweepstakes thing seem like a joke.  Of course, with your chances of winning about 1 in a trillion, maybe the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstake thing is a joke.

Kepley100 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kepley100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 5:06pm
Two words: POOR TASTE! Out of all the disrespectful ads I've seen in my lifetime (and I've seen quite a few), this has to be the most piss-on-the-grave displays of enema-baginess I've heard of. I'm glad I've just read about these ads now rather than seen them, as I would have gone all Angry Video Game Nerd on my TV if I had the misfortune of witnessing these ads described.
"It's all bullsh*t folks. It's all bullsh*t and it's bad for ya."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)
strifeknot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strifeknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 3:01am
Just saw the Brady one for the first time today and thought it was in really poor taste. 

Would these actors consent to Publisher's Clearinghouse using their likeness if they were still alive? They obviously have no input, and consent shouldn't be assumed. Did their estates give permission, or do the shows' producers have the right to use this footage for such a purpose without it?

It's just creepy and sleazy.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 7:46pm
They should do a Sanford & Son ad where Fred Sanford asks "Who are you and what are you doing in my house?"

That'll kill the momentum for these tasteless commercials!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

They should do a Sanford & Son ad where Fred Sanford asks "Who are you and what are you doing in my house?"

That'll kill the momentum for these tasteless commercials!
No bible meetins and no orggees.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 10:17pm
Television has "brought back" both Dave Thomas & Orville Redenbacher(popcorn fame) in the past so this isn't new. Have only seen the Brady Bunch one and as far as I know, Bob Denver(Gilligan) is still alive.
MeTV does this all the time, like this Adam 12 spoof.LOL
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 10:22pm
Bob Denver is dead. He died in 2005.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 10:30pm
^^^ Damn. I didn't know that.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 4:22am
Mary Ann got busted for pot a few years ago....  LOL

The alternate PCH Gilligan's Island ad that didn't get shown:

PCH people:  "Mr. Howell, you've just won a million dollars!"

Thurston Howell III:  "Lovey!   They've brought us more toilet paper!"
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 8:42pm
I'll have to find the commercials, but that does sound pretty tacky, esp. given how much Gary Coleman went through in the last 15 years of his life. A lot of his problems were financial, since his parents squandered it back in the mid-80s.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 2:21pm
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

These new Publisher's Clearing House commercials aren't available yet on Youtube, but you'll be seeing them soon.  They involve the "Prize Patrol" showing up on the shores of Gilligan's island, the Brady household, and the Diff'rent Strokes apartment, and awarding cash prizes to Bob Denver, Robert Reed and Gary Coleman.

So far, I've seen the Gilligan's Island and the Diff'rent Strokes ones.

They suck.

I've actually "seen" one of them.

By "seen", I mean... caught a short glimpse of one right before I hit the mute button then changed the channel.

Don't remember which one it was or what show's dead characters they used.

Smacks of desperation, though.

I always mute/change the channel as soon as I see a PCH ad come on anyway because I despise seeing some fat, lucky asshole finding out they are now worth 10 million bucks. Why would anyone want to see that?

Come to think of it, maybe that's why they switched to classic TV show characters. Maybe people were telling them the same thing so rather than hire actors, which would make it look like they were being dishonest about there even being winners, they went with this idea instead which looks more like an ad concept than a staged lie.

I guess if I have to be assaulted by PCH commercials, I'd rather see the dead actors than some 30 y/o slob from Buttcrack, Iowa jumping up & down whooping like a maniac bcause he just became filthy-ass rich.

Screw that.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 9:24pm
I was foolish enough to enter, Hey, If I could give my wife the rest of her life  OFF.... I say its worth it.
Almost. They hit me with E-mail everyday.  Search today and keep yourself in the running.
WTF   They want me to use their search engine?
 It just clogs up my computer and makes it run slow. I won't shoot them if they come to the door but the better call first. Before 6 PM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic